The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I rambled on and on (and on) for a while about the Millennium Champions season. 20 years ago today!

http://smtid.blogspot.com/2020/04/season-of-my-life.html

Season of my life too and I suspect I've seen a few more - these are my memories!

Second favourites for the drop pre-season, a belligerent manager who seemed to offend everyone, a heavyweight front two, more than a few Paisley guys in the team, 6-0 away to Raith which was a bit of revenge for 92/93, winning the Challenge Cup, Graham Robert's meltdown over Charlie Adam's hand-assisted goal at Broadwood, the 8-0 victory over Clydebank (biggest I can remember) who'd got their keeper from a dating site, playing against them in Morton strips two weeks later, booing Ian Ferguson at Love St., a nerve-wracking string of 1 goal victories in April, Paul McKnight, that 3-0 clincher against Raith (4 out of 4 that season & GTF Paul Fenwick!) and finally the 5-0 defeat away to ICT when we no longer gave a fuck.

My individual memory was getting let into the RK stand for the Falkirk game three weeks before it officially opened - GTF Kevin "Crunchie" McAllister!

Only sad notes I can remember is "that tackle"  which effectively ended Chris Kerr's career & in hindsight Brian  Heatherston getting sent off for Raith in the 3-0 game.

PS - I still have my bunnet from that season! 

10 minutes ago, btb said:

Season of my life too and I suspect I've seen a few more - these are my memories!

Second favourites for the drop pre-season, a belligerent manager who seemed to offend everyone, a heavyweight front two, more than a few Paisley guys in the team, 6-0 away to Raith which was a bit of revenge for 92/93, winning the Challenge Cup, Graham Robert's meltdown over Charlie Adam's hand-assisted goal at Broadwood, the 8-0 victory over Clydebank (biggest I can remember) who'd got their keeper from a dating site, playing against them in Morton strips two weeks later, booing Ian Ferguson at Love St., a nerve-wracking string of 1 goal victories in April, Paul McKnight, that 3-0 clincher against Raith (4 out of 4 that season & GTF Paul Fenwick!) and finally the 5-0 defeat away to ICT when we no longer gave a fuck.

My individual memory was getting let into the RK stand for the Falkirk game three weeks before it officially opened - GTF Kevin "Crunchie" McAllister!

Only sad notes I can remember is "that tackle"  which effectively ended Chris Kerr's career & in hindsight Brian  Heatherston getting sent off for Raith in the 3-0 game.

PS - I still have my bunnet from that season! 

Hate to be that guy but you've conflated some of the 05-06 memories with the Millennium title there... (Challenge Cup win and Charlie Adam).

Still, it's all good!

Edited by Coventry Saint

31 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Hate to be that guy but you've conflated some of the 05-06 memories with the Millennium title there... (Challenge Cup win and Charlie Adam).

Still, it's all good!

Ooops! :lol:

I just seem to remember opposition managers getting upset with TH  especially Airdire's (would that have been Alex McDonald?) actually jumping on THs back and had one of them "senior moments"! :spud5

Edited by btb

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Any details of a Graham Roberts meltdown are always worth rehashing 😂

Erm, IIRC and I guess that's a big "if" we won 4/4 against Clyde in 2005/06 and Roberts got progressively more upset insisting that Clyde were just as good as us and that it was all down to bad refereeing!  😂

PS - The Charlie Adam handball goal, in a 1 goal victory, was just about as blatant as you get!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by btb

30 minutes ago, btb said:

Erm, IIRC and I guess that's a big "if" we won 4/4 against Clyde in 2005/06 and Roberts got progressively more upset insisting that Clyde were just as good as us and that it was all down to bad refereeing!  😂

PS - The Charlie Adam handball goal, in a 1 goal victory, was just about as blatant as you get!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Was it not Roberts that 'attacked' Andy Millen that season?!

1 hour ago, btb said:

Ooops! :lol:

I just seem to remember opposition managers getting upset with TH  especially Airdire's (would that have been Alex McDonald?) actually jumping on THs back and had one of them "senior moments"! :spud5

It was Gary Mackay. Hendrie gave the home fans a clenched fist as he walked off and Mackay jumped on his back. He'd wound up Ian McCall a few weeks earlier as well.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Was it not Roberts that 'attacked' Andy Millen that season?!

Don't remember that one, however Adam seemed to be on a one-man trolling mission of Roberts that season. There was the handball, an alleged dive at the turn of the year then he scored the winner in about March time. I think after the last one Roberts started whining about the money we were spending compared to his mob.

99/00 season. So many scenes. The amount of stunning goals we scored, impossible to pick a goal of the season or even a player of the season.

Really hard to pick a favourite game too, the standouts -

3-1 Dunfermline
5-0 Airdrie
6-0 v Raith
4-1 v Morton
8-0 v Clydebank
2-1 v Raith
1-1 v Dunfermline with 10 men and a late equaliser
Stealing a 1-0 v Falkirk was beautiful, absolute robbery
2-1 Ayr, McKnight again.

Glorious season and some wonderful memories. I was just turning 20 that season so was the perfect age for it and barely missed a game home or away. We had been pretty shite for the best part of a decade, and loads of other teams in the league were spending huge amounts of money on players (but not stadiums) at the time so it really came out of nowhere.

It seemed like we were carrying huge crowds home and away as well, and the momentum just kept building. That "top of the league and you're no" song, which started off as a bit of a piss take, being belted out everywhere. I know it's the one everyone mentions, but that 2-1 away to Raith was the one where I knew we were going to do it. I'll always remember the sight of the Raith fans out in the street giving it big licks to the St Mirren stand just as the second hit the net. Wonderful scenes.

It wasn't just the goals and the drama that set it apart from the two championships since, it was the unexpectedness of it all. The 05/06 and 17/18 championships were great, but you'd have been disappointed if we hadn't at least been in contention both those seasons, and it wasnt really a surprise we were miles better than the competition in both, but 99/00 was different. I doubt we will ever see anything like it again.

4 hours ago, GAD said:

Glorious season and some wonderful memories. I was just turning 20 that season so was the perfect age for it and barely missed a game home or away. We had been pretty shite for the best part of a decade, and loads of other teams in the league were spending huge amounts of money on players (but not stadiums) at the time so it really came out of nowhere.

It seemed like we were carrying huge crowds home and away as well, and the momentum just kept building. That "top of the league and you're no" song, which started off as a bit of a piss take, being belted out everywhere. I know it's the one everyone mentions, but that 2-1 away to Raith was the one where I knew we were going to do it. I'll always remember the sight of the Raith fans out in the street giving it big licks to the St Mirren stand just as the second hit the net. Wonderful scenes.

It wasn't just the goals and the drama that set it apart from the two championships since, it was the unexpectedness of it all. The 05/06 and 17/18 championships were great, but you'd have been disappointed if we hadn't at least been in contention both those seasons, and it wasnt really a surprise we were miles better than the competition in both, but 99/00 was different. I doubt we will ever see anything like it again.

Nice post.

Re the bit in bold, it was also a return to the top flight following arguably the bleakest period in our club's history. The 90s were properly grim for us. Club-ending takeover narrowly avoided; years of just anonymous shite and second tier mediocrity. 

It was our first promotion for a couple of decades and felt all the more special as a result.

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nice post.

Re the bit in bold, it was also a return to the top flight following arguably the bleakest period in our club's history. The 90s were properly grim for us. Club-ending takeover narrowly avoided; years of just anonymous shite and second tier mediocrity. 

It was our first promotion for a couple of decades and felt all the more special as a result.

Yeah, the 90s were properly bleak, and for me, those were pretty much my formative years as a Saints fan. I only 7 when we won the cup, so it never really meant that much to me, so closest I'd really seen us get to "success" was the B&Q cup final and subsequent 3-0 gubbing. In fact, I didn't even get to go to that game as my dad forgot to get tickets in time and it sold out.

A lot of the time as well it wasnt just mediocre, it was just really shite. We were usually bottom half and often fighting relegation. The only season I remember even a hint of promotion was the first season down where Raith ran away with it and we ended up finishing behind Killie. The rest was just grim shite where drawing with Dundee was a great result and getting absolutely pumped by Dumbarton, Clydebank, Stranraer, Alloa and Abroath was pretty normal. I don't even remember us having anything close to a cup run either. There were definitely no trips to Hampden. In fact, I don't remember many trips anywhere.

To be honest, we pretty much went straight back to shite almost immediately after. It really took Gus coming in to properly turn things around, but we had that one glorious season, and what a season it was.