djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2019/20 Thread

We are after Paul McGinn according to known shite talker Tam McManus. 
Who are we?

12 minutes ago, elvis said:
3 hours ago, Zing. said:
We are after Paul McGinn according to known shite talker Tam McManus. 

Who are we?

Hibs. 

I'd be gutted if McGinn left. Mr consistency no matter where he gets played.

We don't really have another right back if he does go, although Flynn has been excellent there

12 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'd be gutted if McGinn left. Mr consistency no matter where he gets played.

We don't really have another right back if he does go, although Flynn has been excellent there

You can have Tom James in exchange if you want. 

You can have Tom James in exchange if you want. 
We've got someone to clean the lavvies at the club already.

Goodwin was saying in his post match interview,  hopefully 2 to come in before the Hibs game. A replacement for Kyle and an attacking option. The attacking option sounded more like an attacking midfielder rather than another striker. 

From looks of McCarthy and Famewo, we've added pretty decently in this window but you look further back at Hearts, who have significantly improved their squad and then around us at likes of St. Johnstone, Hamilton and maybe even Killie, who haven't and it becomes apparent how important these two proposed new faces being the correct folk for the job now becomes.

We can't 0-0 our way through to the end of the season. The defence is fine....most of us know that. But we need to have the correct folk up top.

Edited by djchapsticks

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

From looks of McCarthy and Famewo, we've added pretty decently in this window but you look further back at Hearts, who have significantly improved their squad and then around us at likes of St. Johnstone, Hamilton and maybe even Killie, who haven't and it becomes apparent how important these two proposed new faces being the correct folk for the job now becomes.

We can't 0-0 our way through to the end of the season. The defence is fine....most of us know that. But we need to have the correct folk up top.

The defence is fine, but if we lose Paul McGinn, we are back to only having five recognised defenders at the club, and Flynn deputising at right back, when he's really a midfielder and may be needed further forward. If Foley gets injured for example, Flynn would be the obvious replacement. If McGinn goes this window, we need a right back in to replace him.

The defence is fine, but if we lose Paul McGinn, we are back to only having five recognised defenders at the club, and Flynn deputising at right back, when he's really a midfielder and may be needed further forward. If Foley gets injured for example, Flynn would be the obvious replacement. If McGinn goes this window, we need a right back in to replace him.
Broadfoot has been very decent at right back, so we still have options.

Broadfoot has been very decent at right back, so we still have options.
A couple of injuries/suspensions and we'd be right up against it. We have coped well so far but I wouldnt feel easy in a relegation battle with such a thin squad.

If McGinn goes, I dare say it's because he was already interesting Hibs anyway and would have left in the Summer regardless. He has a good working relationship with Jack Ross from their time at Dumbarton and JR signing him on for us again before bailing out to Sunderland.

Given Goodwin has said we're already looking at two players before this news came, I'd hope the money brought in for him leaving would be able to maybe squeeze one more signing out.

If he goes now, we'll get money I'd imagine. Any money should certainly be reinvested in the playing squad.

Edited by djchapsticks

If Paul McGinn is going to Hibs this window then I’m presuming there’s a fee involved. He’s been one of our best players and one of the most consistent performers for us. I’ll be gutted if he goes and we don’t replace him. But we most definitely need a decent striker this window, as what we currently have are nowhere near up to the job.

If Paul McGinn is going to Hibs this window then I’m presuming there’s a fee involved. He’s been one of our best players and one of the most consistent performers for us. I’ll be gutted if he goes and we don’t replace him. But we most definitely need a decent striker this window, as what we currently have are nowhere near up to the job.

We'll need to replace him. Flynn has done well at right back but if he gets injured we then slot MacPherson in leaving us short in the middle.

McGinn is a solid 7/10 every week. Great pro. Helped us through the sticky patch with the injury crisis.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on at Hibs. Don't think hes as good going forward but he might have good chemistry with Boyle in front of him.

I hope we say to Hibs he can't play on Saturday.

What has turned into a decent wee week with us maybe bringing in a couple of new bodies, has all of a sudden become a lot more hectic since Wednesday night.

In that time we've lost Magennis for the season, likely to lose Paul McGinn and possibly even Mullen and everything has pulled in a bit closer beneath us.

What started as 'definitely one new face, maybe two' has seemingly just become 'definitely three'.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Also, can we have more players like Conor McCarthy please? He's looked superb so far.

Definitely agree. This boy looks quality and will get us a good fee in the future

Personally don't think McGinn is good enough for a team like Hibs. Guessing it's because Ross knows what he'll get and desperately needs a rightback at short notice.

Hopefully we bring another one in and can get Flynn back into midfield.

Can't blame McGinn for getting a wage bump for himself at a relatively late stage in his career. Considering he's always been a bit of a journeyman full back, to get a gig at Hibs is decent for him. The only issue is they'll probably give him an 18 month deal, and surely they'll be strengthening that position in the summer, so he could end up out of favour then.

Great move for McGinn if it does come off. Decent signing on fee, better wages and a move to a bigger club.

He’s been a good signing, so good luck to him if it happens.