The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your manager confirmed you made a move didnt he? 

Middleton got injured and I'm sure Goodwin said that had killed the deal.

Nope. He said he was interested in the summer, but no approach was made in the winter window. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your manager confirmed you made a move didnt he? 

Middleton got injured and I'm sure Goodwin said that had killed the deal.

Not in this window we didn't.

He picked Hibs over us in the summer and we haven't looked into him again since.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd have been very upset if we were binning Danny Mullen for someone as 'meh' as Oli Shaw.

I've never seen him much, tbh. Weren't we linked with him in the summer, too?

My genuine preference at this stage is to stick with what we've got as I think we have enough to stay up. Save the dosh for the summer and/or PCAs.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've never seen him much, tbh. Weren't we linked with him in the summer, too?

My genuine preference at this stage is to stick with what we've got as I think we have enough to stay up. Save the dosh for the summer and/or PCAs.

If the two players Goodwin has targeted are legit in the 'too good to pass up' category as he's alluded to, then I'm OK with Mullen and/or Cooke moving on to make way for them.

I wouldn't be putting Oli Shaw in that category, nowhere near it.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Keatings would be a step down compared to what we currently have. 

Keatings is a striker with a goal every 3.something games. 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Keatings' youth club explains why he's suggesting him. Ian McShane and Lewis Kidd will be next.

I'm not that fussed if either Mullen or Cooke goes this window (although not both), providing we bring in a suitable replacement. No point binning them if whoever we bring in is of a similar level or even worse. Of the two I'd rather we keep Mullen as he has at least shown he's capable of getting a few goals at this level - Cooke's only league goals for us came against a relegated team fielding a goalie with glass wrists.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18141426.st-mirren-make-january-move-striker-james-keatings/

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If the two players Goodwin has targeted are legit in the 'too good to pass up' category as he's alluded to, then I'm OK with Mullen and/or Cooke moving on to make way for them.

I wouldn't be putting Oli Shaw in that category, nowhere near it.

Seemingly County are paying six figures for him which strikes me as madness and something we wouldn't, couldn't and shoudn't do.

6 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

He's scored five in 21 this season; three of which came against comedy outfits Cove Rangers and... *checks notes*... Greenock Morton.

Last season he scored one in 18 at this level, and Hamilton let him go.

The previous season he scored four in 21 in a Dundee United side that we comfortably beat to the Championship title, and they let him go.

The season before he scored 8 in 30 for a Hibs team that scooshed the Championship, and they let him go.

I'd politely suggest he might be almost finished and certainly wouldn't improve what we already have.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's scored five in 21 this season; three of which came against comedy outfits Cove Rangers and... *checks notes*... Greenock Morton.

Last season he scored one in 18 at this level, and Hamilton let him go.

The previous season he scored four in 21 in a Dundee United side that we comfortably beat to the Championship title, and they let him go.

The season before he scored 8 in 30 for a Hibs team that scooshed the Championship, and they let him go.

I'd politely suggest he might be almost finished and certainly wouldn't improve what we already have.

It's not my rumour - I've quoted the report. I've made no comment up till now abouf my views on him. I've just stated the fact he's scored 1 goal in every 3.something games in his career which is usually considered as prolific. 

He's had well documented "issues" in recent years which you completely failed to acknowledge and he appears to be "well" again. 

BTW how many times have you seem Cove Rangers play to be able to write them off as comedic in a season when St Mirren failed to beat Albion Rovers and East Kilbride? 

Edited by Malky3

44 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

It's not my rumour - I've quoted the report. I've made no comment up till now abouf my views on him. I've just stated the fact he's scored 1 goal in every 3.something games in his career which is usually considered as prolific. 

He's had well documented "issues" in recent years which you completely failed to acknowledge and he appears to be "well" again. 

BTW how many times have you seem Cove Rangers play to be able to write them off as comedic in a season when St Mirren failed to beat Albion Rovers and East Kilbride? 

Remarkably touchy response, tbh.

I didn't say it was your rumour, I was merely expanding on your assertion about his goalscoring record with some more recent specifics. The 'comedy' club thing was, I'd hoped, an obvious joke at Morton's expense.

I'm fully sympathetic to his mental health issues - I have had them myself - but the stats - which again, for emphasis is all you referred to and all I responded with - haven't been great for the past few years.

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18141426.st-mirren-make-january-move-striker-james-keatings/

Yup. Mainly at Championship level.

Obika and Mullen have similar/better strike rates and are injured a lot less often.

Therefore, a step down on what we currently have.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Yup. Mainly at Championship level.

Obika and Mullen have similar/better strike rates and are injured a lot less often.

Therefore, a step down on what we currently have.

Obikas strike rate is 1 goal every 4.79 most of them in the fourth tier of English football. 

Morias strike rate is 1 goal every 4.19 games mostly in the 5th and 6th tier of English football. 

I'm not being disparaging to either of them as I think they do a good job at St Mirren and I'm more than happy to see the two of them continue to lead the St Mirren line. But to write off a composed proven finisher with a 1 goal every 3.something games strike rate is a bizarre thing to do for a club of St Mirren's stature. 

I'm guessing fans like you think only Ronaldo or Messi would be an improvement on Cooke and Mullen. 

4 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Obikas strike rate is 1 goal every 4.79 most of them in the fourth tier of English football. 

Morias strike rate is 1 goal every 4.19 games mostly in the 5th and 6th tier of English football. 

I'm not being disparaging to either of them as I think they do a good job at St Mirren and I'm more than happy to see the two of them continue to lead the St Mirren line. But to write off a composed proven finisher with a 1 goal every 3.something games strike rate is a bizarre thing to do for a club of St Mirren's stature. 

I'm guessing fans like you think only Ronaldo or Messi would be an improvement on Cooke and Mullen. 

Obika has no career goals in the English 4th tier. :lol: Has never even played in the 4th tier in England.

Please, if you're going to argue, try and know what you're arguing about.

image.png.f6240b6fa0628a11f91d63f709c81e43.png

James Keatings has had 21 career Premier League appearances in Scotland and scored one goal. And it was against us last season, which is hardly something to write home about.

If you'd bothered reading through this thread, I'm happy enough for Cooke and/or Mullen to go if they are replaced with better. Not for the likes of Keatings though. Danny Mullen is all ends up a far superior player to Keatings.

Keatings would instantly be our 5th best forward if he signed.

Edited by djchapsticks

28 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Obika has no career goals in the English 4th tier. :lol: Has never even played in the 4th tier in England.

Please, if you're going to argue, try and know what you're arguing about.

image.png.f6240b6fa0628a11f91d63f709c81e43.png

James Keatings has had 21 career Premier League appearances in Scotland and scored one goal. And it was against us last season, which is hardly something to write home about.

If you'd bothered reading through this thread, I'm happy enough for Cooke and/or Mullen to go if they are replaced with better. Not for the likes of Keatings though. Danny Mullen is all ends up a far superior player to Keatings.

Keatings would instantly be our 5th best forward if he signed.

Well lets hope that Jim Goodwin pays as much attention to your views as everyone else at the club..... 🙄

Edited by Malky3

17 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Well lets hope that Jim Goodwin pays as much attention to your views as everyone else at the club..... 🙄

Much rather my views than someone who'll argue how many goals a player has scored at a level he's never even played at.

Now off you pop. :lol: 

12 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

There’s nothing at all wrong with Danny Mullen’s attitude, that’s probably his best attribute since he signed under Jack Ross.

His work rate and selfless team play have been second to none. He’s scored some absolute top drawer goals and played a major part in keeping us in this league.

Seeing names like Keatings as a possible replacement, has me thinking meh.

I like Mullen too, he's a really hard worker and definitely better than Keatings. I wouldn't call him selfless though, his habit of taking random long shots at inopportune times drives me nuts when we're chasing games. I also think his card is marked with refs as a diver now unfortunately. There was a home game early in the season where he got fouled a few times in quick succession but didn't get any of them.

I'd be sad to see Cooke go too. He still weirdly seems kind of untested after being here a season and a half. I'd hoped he would get more game time this season but it's not looking likely now with Mullen coming off the bench before him recently.  I think Cooke does offer something different from the rest of our strikers and seems to be the best at holding up the ball.

Goodwin claiming in his interview with the official site that no one has been told or asked to leave.

Magennis also out long term and Durmus also injured (not sure how long) so guessing we may end up looking for another midfielder, although it's still probably the area we have most players for.

The Sun reporting the goalie Peter Urminsky signing for us today.

Edited by Stu