Jump to content
djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2019/20 Thread

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

What's the wage bill of Rijeka compared to Aberdeen or St Pats compared to Norkopping?

I have absolutely no idea. Aberdeen get bigger attendances than teams in either Norway or Croatia how that fits into wages I'm not sure. 

Anyway, I can see why fans of Dundalk and other teams might be a little underwhelmed by McCarthy moving to us. That said it's definitely a step up for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I have absolutely no idea. Aberdeen get bigger attendances than teams in either Norway or Croatia how that fits into wages I'm not sure. 

Anyway, I can see why fans of Dundalk and other teams might be a little underwhelmed by McCarthy moving to us. That said it's definitely a step up for him.

I can see why too. It's called delusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how according to these Irish boys on Twitter, on one hand the league of Ireland is better than the Scottish Prem, but on the other both these guys will be back in the Irish league next season with their "tail between their legs." There is only one scenario that sees these boys back in Ireland and it isn't them realising they are far too good for St Mirren and missing the bright lights of Dundalk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting. I used to get pelters from a Liverpool supporter from Navan, Co. Meath for being a Saints fan as "outside the Old Firm, Scottish football is shite". 

When pressed as to why he supported Liverpool over his "local" teams Dundalk or Drogheda, the response was "because they're shite too". 

I'd take anything an Irish fan says regarding the standard of any league with a MASSIVE pinch of salt

Edited by dublin_bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2020 at 22:09, djchapsticks said:

Still seeing a few mutterings on Twitter from Rangers fans that Glenn Middleton is heading to us on loan. 

Would be an interesting one. 

Looking now like this is a goer and could be done as soon as weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Looking now like this is a goer and could be done as soon as weekend.

Slightly surprised at this, thought we had enough cover in the wide areas with Durmus, McAllister, McGrath and Magennis also able to play there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Looking now like this is a goer and could be done as soon as weekend.

I don't think it is a goer DJ, I may be wrong but I think it's Rangers using us as leverage in negotiations with someone else. Time will tell I suppose!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Slightly surprised at this, thought we had enough cover in the wide areas with Durmus, McAllister, McGrath and Magennis also able to play there.

McAllister is broken - definitely not someone who you'd hang any sort of hopes on between now and the end of the season.

Magennis is also completely wasted in the wide areas but can cover in a pinch.

Similarly, Flynn and Foley could also cover there, but you'd rather not have to rely on either doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

McAllister is broken - definitely not someone who you'd hang any sort of hopes on between now and the end of the season.

Magennis is also completely wasted in the wide areas but can cover in a pinch.

Similarly, Flynn and Foley could also cover there, but you'd rather not have to rely on either doing so.

With or without the new player, something's got to give in the middle of the park. There isn't room for McPherson, Flynn, Foley and Magennis in there. 

Nice problem to have, but it's a tough call.

I think you've still go to go with the experience of Flynn and Foley who are both undroppable when fit, IMHO, with Cammy dropping back to the bench and Magennis shuffling out wide. But it's tough to call.

You can see why McGinn is basically surplus to requirements now, legend that he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

With or without the new player, something's got to give in the middle of the park. There isn't room for McPherson, Flynn, Foley and Magennis in there. 

Nice problem to have, but it's a tough call.

I think you've still go to go with the experience of Flynn and Foley who are both undroppable when fit, IMHO, with Cammy dropping back to the bench and Magennis shuffling out wide. But it's tough to call.

You can see why McGinn is basically surplus to requirements now, legend that he is.

Magennis should be giving way to McPherson on current form. I’m not a fan of sticking with out of form players. Magennis hasn’t kicked a ball all season, cammy is the in form player at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Magennis should be giving way to McPherson on current form. I’m not a fan of sticking with out of form players. Magennis hasn’t kicked a ball all season, cammy is the in form player at the moment.

So who's going out wide? I think Magennis is suited to going there more than any of the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think both Cammy and Kyle played well together in the middle of the park against Killie. Worked well as a duo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2020 at 10:28, djchapsticks said:

Looking now like this is a goer and could be done as soon as weekend.

Not happening , hope we're looking at someone with a bit more experience !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye Middleton got injured in a reserve game on Monday so we’ve ended our interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magennis should be giving way to McPherson on current form. I’m not a fan of sticking with out of form players. Magennis hasn’t kicked a ball all season, cammy is the in form player at the moment.


Agree with this. Never quite seen what all the fuss about with Magennis is tbh. He’s very... average. He’s not exactly a hard tackler and he doesn’t chip in with many goals or assists.

Whereas McPherson does both, the improvement in Cammy this season has been remarkable and he’s pretty much first name on the team sheet now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lex said:

 


Agree with this. Never quite seen what all the fuss about with Magennis is tbh. He’s very... average. He’s not exactly a hard tackler and he doesn’t chip in with many goals or assists.

Whereas McPherson does both, the improvement in Cammy this season has been remarkable and he’s pretty much first name on the team sheet now.

 

I actually believe Kyle has great ability, he’s just not progressed as much as we all thought he would since promotion.  There can be a multitude of reasons why this has been the case. He’s a young lad who I’m sure will find his form again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tend to agree with Lex, Magennis is a decent player however don’t think he’s of the calibre of young players we’ve brought through and lost in recent years. I think Magennis’ best form in the team was when he first came through under Jack Ross and played on the right of midfield. Perhaps there is a Hugh Murray type situation with the captaincy & he should be left to play his game without the added responsibility. McPherson has done very well over the past month previous to the winter break. Think it is a bit over the top to have him as first name on the team sheet mind you. I wouldn’t shift him out the team at the moment because his form deserves inclusion in the starting 11 and central midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magennis is only 21, same age as MacPherson, and he's played a lot of football for his age, despite a few injuries. He's clearly a good player who has had a slight dip in form. Our fans are fucking awful for doing this to our younger players, with both McLean and McGinn suffering similar shite when their form dipped a bit. Erhahon has also been written off at the age of 18. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...