The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, elvis said:

Danny Mullen on PFA availability page that's nuts he's a great wee player every time he's come on he instantly makes a difference don't know what Jim Goodwin's thinking.

What the feck are you gibbering about?

There is absolutely no chance he's been released. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Hammerheid said:

Yeah, but why would he be on there, a list of players who are out of contract or have no club?

image.thumb.png.eb4e1b5eca22c6a3a8eeb14f80541d06.png

If Goodwin has made him available for transfer though, it wouldn't come as a huge shock. We already have 4 strikers and with a 5th coming in, someone had to give way. Would have been a toss up between Cooke and Mullen. Cooke is more physical and Danny can produce from nowhere every now and again.

If he's been listed though, it's not great shock.

He's one of two out of contract forwards in the summer and it was a toss up between himself and Cody Cooke to make way for the striker who is presumably imminent.

Danny can pull the odd belter out of nowhere and works really hard but for me, holding the ball up in the final third isn't his strong suit and it's clear Goodwin likes a forward to do this.

If he's on his way, all the best. Just hopefully it's not to a Hamilton or St. Johnstone where he will undoubtedly hurt us badly.

Quite the opposite. Morton fans have really taken to him and were delighted to keep him on.
Yeah, the couple of Morton fans I know said that he's been excellent in a poor team.

Like most fans, I like Baird. I've always felt he was a bit hard done to as when a new centre half came in he was the one to make way, even if he'd been in decent form. In fairness though he isn't as good as Davis, Popescu or McLoughlin who all replaced him.

I reckon he could do better than Morton right enough. I watched the Dundee v Motherwell game and he'd improve Dundee's back four. I'd say he's probaby better than the centre halves at Dundee Utd too, and he'd walk into Caley Thistle's defence, especially as Donaldson has left.
I must know the boo boys :D.

Wonder if we could use him as part of an exchange then.

Gutting for Mullen too, stepped it up for us when Reilly went off the boil a bit in the title season. Scored some spectacular and vital goals for us last season. I think Danny and Cooke have been up against it since our shambolic league cup campaign.

Cooke is different from the 3 strikers where as Mullen is similar to Obika and Junior, maybe why Danny is being shown the door. Sadly there is no way we would keep 5 strikers on the books so one has to go.

He'd be an upgrade for StJohnstone ahead of Kane, do a job for Accies. Other than they 2 clubs I think he'd be looking at upper end of the Championship.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

FWIW Abdul Osman is listed there as well and he has signed with us until the end of the season.

Steven Anderson too.

Assume it's a mix of players without a club and those who have been told they're to free to leave in the summer.

Danny Mullen is a good Championshll striker. We play in the Premiership though.

Just 5 goals in 33 top flight appearances over the last 2 years is nowhere near good enough for a forward. For comparison purposes Obika already has 5 goals in just 21 Premiership appearances.

If we are going to sign a striker one of our current four has to leave, we aren’t going to have five first team strikers in the squad. For me Cooke offers something different so Mullen should be the one to go.

Mullen has 14 goals in 70 appearances according to Wikipedia and that's with half his time in the Championship.  A good enough player but unfortunately I can't see him being a regular finisher in the Premiership. 

41 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
51 minutes ago, govansaint said:
Any clues as to who the new striker is?

The way things are going at Palmerston just now it's probably fucking Dobbie.

I'm sure it's not, but purely as a hypothetical, do you reckon he could still make the step up*? Surely his legs must be starting to go. He's three years younger than me and I'm fucking knackered 😂

* This really is just out of interest.

Edited by Coventry Saint

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Quite the opposite. Morton fans have really taken to him and were delighted to keep him on.

That doesn't affect the financial situation, we'll have to sweeten the deal if he's to go there at the end of the season.

I'm sure it's not, but purely as a hypothetical, do you reckon he could still make the step up*? Surely his legs must be starting to go. He's three years younger than me and I'm fucking knackered [emoji23]

* This really is just out of interest.
He seems to be picking up more wee injuries now and he's never been one for suffering injuries. I think that's just age catching up with him. Ability wise I reckon if you set up chances for him he'd still put them away even at the top level.