The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

24 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

How are those amazing new signings working out for you?

We are having one of these typical St Mirren seasons that will flirt with relegation. The big question have we got the players to keep us in the league remains to be seen. A change of tactics would be welcome. 

32 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

We are having one of these typical St Mirren seasons that will flirt with relegation. The big question have we got the players to keep us in the league remains to be seen. A change of tactics would be welcome. 

I wasn't really looking for a sensible answer. 

I'm sure you will be fine although Accies seem to be once again in the habit of picking up points where they shouldn't.  Livingston seem to be intent on being safe by Christmas again and Ross County I thought were pretty solid at RP a couple of weeks ago. The fermers and the Edinburgh clubs may be your competition this year.

4 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Shoosh, signing english lower league injury prone journeymen on inflated wages, then announcing then to be absolute quality and the type of signing we've been crying out for, is a tried and tested formula. I fully expect us to score a goal at some point within the next 7 or 8 games.

15 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

An honest answer would be that our failings don’t come as a surprise to the vast majority of realistic buddies. For years our club has been a graveyard for strikers, aside from Michael Higdon and Gavin Reilly in the championship winning side from two years ago.

Our successful academy at Ralston has failed to produce a striker since Barry Lavety way back in the 90’s. 

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Simon Jackson training with Kilmarnock according to the press. Not sure he would have been the answer though he did get 6 goals in 22 starts. 

Definitely did more last season than any of our forwards have this season so far. Would have had him back.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

An honest answer would be that our failings don’t come as a surprise to the vast majority of realistic buddies. For years our club has been a graveyard for strikers, aside from Michael Higdon and Gavin Reilly in the championship winning side from two years ago.

Our successful academy at Ralston has failed to produce a striker since Barry Lavety way back in the 90’s. 

What striker went through our system before Lavety ? Very few if any  we did pick up McGarvey, Maca from the juniors.  Yardley came from Livie juniors via Cowdenbeat. Dont believe for a minute there is no talent in the juniors just does not seem to be looked at they way it used too. 

5 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

What striker went through our system before Lavety ? Very few if any  we did pick up McGarvey, Maca from the juniors.  Yardley came from Livie juniors via Cowdenbeat. Dont believe for a minute there is no talent in the juniors just does not seem to be looked at they way it used too. 

Brian McGinty signed from Cumnock if I remember correctly. Not that great.

20 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Brian McGinty signed from Cumnock if I remember correctly. Not that great.

It's like any market a hit or miss. At least the percentage in our attacking stats were up against Motherwell.  So the problem of attacking is being worked on hopefully it pay's off. We need/ must beat St Johnstone as there is a lot of tough games coming up we dont want to be adrift going into December.  

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

It's like any market a hit or miss. At least the percentage in our attacking stats were up against Motherwell.  So the problem of attacking is being worked on hopefully it pay's off. We need/ must beat St Johnstone as there is a lot of tough games coming up we dont want to be adrift going into December.  

We've just got to hope it's a confidence thing with our forwards.  1 or 2 goals can quickly change their fortunes.  

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I thought Jackson was decent, stupid penalty aside. He was an intelligent player and had good experience.

6 goals wasn't a terrible return.

Agree he also worked hard was a, wee bit disappointed he did not get a deal. You just know what is coming. Another Ross Stewart. 

Jack Ross sacked today.. I'm sure he will pop up again at championship level  before getting a bigger gig. 
He'll probably do a Neilson and hold off till a decent gig comes up.

Reckon he'd have a chance of getting the Hibs/Aberdeen job if they came up.

Bit of a shame the way the way it ended for him but for whatever reason that club shouldn't be struggling in League One.

35 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He'll probably do a Neilson and hold off till a decent gig comes up.

Reckon he'd have a chance of getting the Hibs/Aberdeen job if they came up.

Bit of a shame the way the way it ended for him but for whatever reason that club shouldn't be struggling in League One.

Seemed to have recruitment issues. Selling their best players and not replacing them. Looking at his signings from the outside, it looked like he was just left to it as he seemed to sign a lot of players from up here probably because that was the only market he knew. That never really works out. Even the mighty lewis morgan had a mostly forgettable loan spell down there.

28 minutes ago, christinanade said:

Seemed to have recruitment issues. Selling their best players and not replacing them. Looking at his signings from the outside, it looked like he was just left to it as he seemed to sign a lot of players from up here probably because that was the only market he knew. That never really works out. Even the mighty lewis morgan had a mostly forgettable loan spell down there.

Jack Ross was out of his depth. I remember a small number of people on BAWA getting a lot of abuse for saying that when he moved. Fact is that was always the truth. 

At Sunderland Ross chose to rebuild completely instead of bringing in some quality to suppliment some excellent youth talent at the club. He failed to convince Josh Maja to stay and when he left Ross spent a fair bit of money trying, and failing, to find anyone as clinical. Even the £1m flop Will Grigg has been catastrophic under Ross. 

To add to that the defence at Sunderland has been leaking like a Tory cabinet. 

I suspect Ross's career in England is finished now. If Hibs were to go after him after Heckingbottom Hibs journey back to the Championship would be almost complete. 

One thing is absolutely certain though, when Sunderland look for their next manager they won't be asking many St Mirren fans for their opinions. Some of the gushing nonsense written about Ross showed up how clueless the likes of Div and his mates actually are. 

Edited by Malky3