The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Great news this morning. McAllister is a great signing, he's one of those players that gets you out your seat. Hopefully he can stay fit as the lad has bags of ability.

Waters did well for Alloa, hasn't had much of a chance at Killie but should be a decent signing. My only issue is with one left back what happens when we play Kilmarnock? Erhahon, McGinn moved across. Not a disaster, but not ideal.

22 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Great news this morning. McAllister is a great signing, he's one of those players that gets you out your seat. Hopefully he can stay fit as the lad has bags of ability.

Waters did well for Alloa, hasn't had much of a chance at Killie but should be a decent signing. My only issue is with one left back what happens when we play Kilmarnock? Erhahon, McGinn moved across. Not a disaster, but not ideal.

McGinn looked decent enough there on Saturday. McGinn shifts over, Cammy Mac slots in at RB.

2 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I'm starrting to think/hope we might get Popescu back on loan before the window shuts and hopefully he can sign a PCA in January because the boy wants to be here.

Someone shares his Instagram.  Said he would love to come back that Saints cant meet his demands so no chance he will be back. 

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Someone shares his Instagram.  Said he would love to come back that Saints cant meet his demands so no chance he will be back. 

While that's true, things change - agents become desperate, players agitate to move.

I've still got a weird feeling we'll see Mihai back at some point. Might not even be in this window; might even be next summer, but he clearly loved his brief time here. That sticks in players' minds when they're struggling to get a game elsewhere.

My issue is that all three recognised centre forwards on our books have a recent history of injury.
Obika will be the first choice for sure - that much is fair enough but for the sake of a selection option and given the fact that we have no youth candidates to realistically fill in that position (not having Breadner as a centre forward option BTW - he's a winger), I'd quite like a short term loan as an option until Cooke is back and fully fit.
Someone like Zak Rudden until January would fit the bill for me to fill that slot. Young, not getting anywhere near the Rangers team, did well last season a level below in a dreadful Falkirk side and would presumably be an inexpensive short-term option.
The difference is Celtic have only two centre forwards but have an absolute abundance of fast, mobile and tricky guys just behind who can chip in with 8-12 goals a season no bother. Think a scaled up version of what we were during the championship winning season. No real over-reliance on a particular centre forward but loads of guys who could drag defenders all over the park and open teams up.

If the issue is that the strikers are injury prone then we should have signed someone without an injury record rather than Obika.

And I can’t see another club lending us one of their youth players to sit on our bench just in case all 3 of our strikers are unavailable!

With regards to Breadner, wingers can play as a striker, particularly if we have no-one else!

Loads of guys who start out as wingers end up as strikers. Thierry Henry, Robin Van Persie and Kevin Gallagher being classic examples!

I’m sure one of our other attacking players can play striker in an emergency!

They’d probably be better than some inexpensive youth who probably won’t even make it!

Back in the Tommy Craig season we put Kenny McLean up front and he ended up scoring a few which won his move to Aberdeen.

I don’t see us signing another striker!

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Guys, you've got yourselves a great wee player in Waters. Should do a good job at your level and hopefully you can send him back more prepared for the step up.

Considering a special edition red dot worth minus 500 rep points for this patter.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

If the issue is that the strikers are injury prone then we should have signed someone without an injury record rather than Obika.
And I can’t see another club lending us one of their youth players to sit on our bench just in case all 3 of our strikers are unavailable!
With regards to Breadner, wingers can play as a striker, particularly if we have no-one else!
Loads of guys who start out as wingers end up as strikers. Thierry Henry, Robin Van Persie and Kevin Gallagher being classic examples!
I’m sure one of our other attacking players can play striker in an emergency!
They’d probably be better than some inexpensive youth who probably won’t even make it!
Back in the Tommy Craig season we put Kenny McLean up front and he ended up scoring a few which won his move to Aberdeen.

All very valid points.  Most decent players though, come with a caveat of some sorts. We probably would have struggled to sign Obika had it not been for his recent injury.

JG apparently saying on Clyde 1 interview earlier that the two bodies coming in today means that he can now take his time and bring another two on board before the close of the window which seems to fly in the face of most of our beliefs that this is now the end of the transfer business.

So where would you strengthen from here with the knowledge the manager himself is saying he's still keen to bring another couple of new faces in over the next three weeks? 

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've been reprimanded for optimism on here recently, but I think we're in decent shape. I think we'll be playing direct & on the counter, even at home, but I think we'll be in a decent position to hit teams hard and at pace. I think it could be interesting.

Bookmark this if you want, but I reckon we'll have 23 points on the board by the time Santa comes.

To some degree, this new founds optimism (mine, and possibly others) is fuelled by the contrast in how we are shaping up now, compared to just two short weeks ago. That, combined with a decent showing at Hibs.

I don't really care what is behind it, as it beats the remorseless negativity and knicker wetting we are so often subjected to. That reminds me, how is the St Johnstone thread rolling along?

I’d be fine with 3, if one of the 3 options wasn’t Cooke. He isn’t good enough. Obika showed he could potentially have something about him at this level against Hibs & Mullen has proven already he is more than able at this level.

Guys, you've got yourselves a great wee player in Waters. Should do a good job at your level and hopefully you can send him back more prepared for the step up.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]trying way too hard Craigkillie!!

All very valid points.  Most decent players though, come with a caveat of some sorts. We probably would have struggled to sign Obika had it not been for his recent injury.
JG apparently saying on Clyde 1 interview earlier that the two bodies coming in today means that he can now take his time and bring another two on board before the close of the window which seems to fly in the face of most of our beliefs that this is now the end of the transfer business.
So where would you strengthen from here with the knowledge the manager himself is saying he's still keen to bring another couple of new faces in over the next three weeks? 

That being the case, I’d like to see us sign a centre half and a striker! [emoji1]

17 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Are we going to announce McAllister on Sunday at 2.59pm?

Or has Jimbo went in a mood at the tsunami of tweets aimed at him telling him to get Kyle announced?

Jimbo is trolling all of the knicker wetting twitter buds who rage at everything and anything. It’s his way of saying GIRFUY......😂