The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I keep seeing posts about us needing another striker.

We play with 1 striker up front. We have 3 on the books, albeit 1 is injured.

Obika and Mullen would appear to me to be the 2 guys who will be competing for that 1 starting slot.

Do we really need another striker just to sit on the bench or just in case all 3 of the strikers we currently have are missing?

If we had a situation where all 3 were out then I’d imagine we could use Durmus, McAllister or Djorkaeff as a striker.

Even Celtic only have 2 recognised strikers on the books yet our fans want us to have 4?

I think the real issue is that fans just don’t believe that Obika will be very good and they don’t rate Mullen. If we’d signed some top prolific goal scorer then I don’t think anyone would be calling for a 4th striker.

Fans will just need to accept that Obika and Mullen are the 2 strikers we have fighting for that 1 position!

My issue is that all three recognised centre forwards on our books have a recent history of injury.

Obika will be the first choice for sure - that much is fair enough but for the sake of a selection option and given the fact that we have no youth candidates to realistically fill in that position (not having Breadner as a centre forward option BTW - he's a winger), I'd quite like a short term loan as an option until Cooke is back and fully fit.

Someone like Zak Rudden until January would fit the bill for me to fill that slot. Young, not getting anywhere near the Rangers team, did well last season a level below in a dreadful Falkirk side and would presumably be an inexpensive short-term option.

The difference is Celtic have only two centre forwards but have an absolute abundance of fast, mobile and tricky guys just behind who can chip in with 8-12 goals a season no bother. Think a scaled up version of what we were during the championship winning season. No real over-reliance on a particular centre forward but loads of guys who could drag defenders all over the park and open teams up.

The right wing could be a bit of an issue given McAllister's chronic groin injury, and the impact this has on his ability to play a full 90 minutes.

In Div's notional area cover suggestions, I reckon this and LB are the least convincing.

That said, few clubs at our level will have more than one out and out winger on either side, and most will make do with trying to plug an injury or suspension shaped hole with a more flexible/versatile midfielder (as is probably reflected in Div's list).

Let's be honest, we'll be in much better shape by the end of today than we were two weeks ago when nappies were getting clarted left, right and centre.

I reckon we'll be okay.

Edited by Drooper

4 minutes ago, Drooper said:

The right wing could be a bit of an issue given McAllister's chronic groin injury, and the impact this has on his ability to play a full 90 minutes.

Djorkaeff can play right midfield? I think he has or certainly swapped wings a couple of times in the Betfred Cup games. 

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

My issue is that all three recognised centre forwards on our books have a recent history of injury.

Obika will be the first choice for sure - that much is fair enough but for the sake of a selection option and given the fact that we have no youth candidates to realistically fill in that position (not having Breadner as a centre forward option BTW - he's a winger), I'd quite like a short term loan as an option until Cooke is back and fully fit.

Someone like Zak Rudden until January would fit the bill for me to fill that slot. Young, not getting anywhere near the Rangers team, did well last season a level below in a dreadful Falkirk side and would presumably be an inexpensive short-term option.

The difference is Celtic have only two centre forwards but have an absolute abundance of fast, mobile and tricky guys just behind who can chip in with 8-12 goals a season no bother. Think a scaled up version of what we were during the championship winning season. No real over-reliance on a particular centre forward but loads of guys who could drag defenders all over the park and open teams up.

When I think about it now I'm not overly concerned about the lack of strikers as I feel with the type of attacking mind midfielders we now have on our books, a lot of goals will come from those areas if we play one up top. I think in some cases, Andreu and/or Djorkaeff may be pushed higher up into a front two if we are chasing games late on. 

9 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I reckon we'll be okay.

I've been reprimanded for optimism on here recently, but I think we're in decent shape. I think we'll be playing direct & on the counter, even at home, but I think we'll be in a decent position to hit teams hard and at pace. I think it could be interesting.

Bookmark this if you want, but I reckon we'll have 23 points on the board by the time Santa comes.

Edited by Coventry Saint

3 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Djorkaeff can play right midfield? I think he has or certainly swapped wings a couple of times in the Betfred Cup games. 

Completely forgot about him!

Have added him in as left and right options.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

McAllister on a 3 year deal, with no transfer fee is the best bit of business we've done or will be able to do in this window.

The guy is still 20 FFS!

I'd imagine the sell-on fee would be similar to that of what Celtic put in place for Carey and Gowser a few years ago, as they wavered dev fees.

Still at that, even if it was 50% sell-on, I have very belief that if Kyle stays injury free, he will be a huge huge asset.

3 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I'd imagine the sell-on fee would be similar to that of what Celtic put in place for Carey and Gowser a few years ago, as they wavered dev fees.

Still at that, even if it was 50% sell-on, I have very belief that if Kyle stays injury free, he will be a huge huge asset.

Agreed. It's win-win really. You'd take splitting any future fee 50/50 with Derby to have him back as our own player.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Guys, you've got yourselves a great wee player in Waters. Should do a good job at your level and hopefully you can send him back more prepared for the step up.

The step up to getting horsed out of Europe by a part-time Welsh team? OK, we'll try our best for you.

I'm kidding, of course, you won't be anywhere near Europe next season. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Guys, you've got yourselves a great wee player in Waters. Should do a good job at your level and hopefully you can send him back more prepared for the step up.

2/10. Needs more bite. The idea was good, but for maximum effect you should have slipped in at least one reference to the ‘methadome’, or suchlike. We demand more in our slaggings these days. Now, go away and work at your put-downs.

Getting McAllister is a complete bonus - as far I'm concerned we've already sold him as a youth academy asset so any sell on back to Derby is immaterial. 

If we are having a conversation in 2 years about how much we sold him for then it can only mean he has performed extremely well since he came back so it's win win.