The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jim Goodwin was at McDiarmid Park last night and was seen by a few Saintees fans talking to May's agent Rowan Vine in the stand. 

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d imagine Killie if they are still in for May then they’d be offering better money than us. It’s a risky signing for any club given his previous with serious injury. 

Another Craig Dargo?

34 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Another Craig Dargo?

I was a big fan of wee Dargo, a cracking player who was very unfortunate with injury.

As for Stevie May I’m not sure what to make of his current state of fitness. There seems to be one or two suggesting that he’s lost that burst of pace he used to great effect before the terrible injury. Then you have others suggesting the Dons didn’t best utilise him in the position he favours. 

Cant see him signing for us but you never know.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I was a big fan of wee Dargo, a cracking player who was very unfortunate with injury.

As for Stevie May I’m not sure what to make of his current state of fitness. There seems to be one or two suggesting that he’s lost that burst of pace he used to great effect before the terrible injury. Then you have others suggesting the Dons didn’t best utilise him in the position he favours. 

Cant see him signing for us but you never know.

Like you, I was a big Dargo fan.

People suggested he was quite happy to spend time on sidelines with injuries, but having had the opportunity to chat to him, it was clear he was thoroughly scunnered about how things were going, and was desperate to feature. He was a good guy.

I'd bite your hand off if offered the then Craig Dargo right now.

I won't lie, given how things have been going with recruitment, I would take May in a heartbeat. Every signing is a punt, but not all are of players with a decent pedigree at this level. I suspect he is as good as were (un)likely to get.

May passed the medical at St Johnstone according to the Record article, so unless the medical staff at McDiarmid are shite at their jobs, or the Record just made that part up (very possible), then that’s good news. St Mirren’s chances of landing May? Not great I’d imagine. If we signed him? Has to be better than what we already have. Maybe May fancies a move to a club in the central belt, with easy access to the bright lights.... of Asda Linwood. Once May has been spotted there, buying steak bakes and cream cheese & chive Pringles - then I believe it.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

May passed the medical at St Johnstone according to the Record article, so unless the medical staff at McDiarmid are shite at their jobs, or the Record just made that part up (very possible), then that’s good news. St Mirren’s chances of landing May? Not great I’d imagine. If we signed him? Has to be better than what we already have. Maybe May fancies a move to a club in the central belt, with easy access to the bright lights.... of Asda Linwood. Once May has been spotted there, buying steak bakes and cream cheese & chive Pringles - then I believe it.

Medicals are funny things. I don't think you can technically "pass/fail" them.

Theres a chance theres something there with his knees, but we decided it was worth gambling on.

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres a chance theres something there with his knees, but we decided it was worth gambling on.

Indeed. Still, as a St Mirren fan, looking at the 7-8 player-shaped holes in our squad that need filled, allied to Goody being spotted sitting near May’s agent, it’s encouraging that Stevie May has two knees, and isn’t going around in a wheelchair pushed by David Walliams. For us, linked with him in any capacity, the fact he can walk unaided is fan-dabee-dozy stuff.

Edited by pozbaird

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There've been lots of players that just couldn't pass medicals: Ledley King could never have left Spurs even if he wanted to as his knees were shot and he could barely train.  Demba Ba was similar - Newcastle and Chelsea definitely both signed him despite being aware of his issues.

I’m quite enjoying the idea of Stevie May partnering Pavol Sanfranko up front for us this season tbh. 

I should probably just get that idea right out my head right enough because there’s next to no chance of it happening is there?

Boy just posted on our forum about Vine and Goodwin, was sat just along from them.

His suggestion was Goodwin arrived, started taking notes for the match, then Vine appeared and sat behind him, and started speaking to him. Goodwin, and I quote, "looked thoroughly pissed off at his constant chirping in his ear"

IMG_6116.thumb.jpg.878e310173fe657d4d75fca7ba42ea82.jpg.c754d2c352ebe9e5f248392546e13e07.jpg

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Boy just posted on our forum about Vine and Goodwin, was sat just along from them.

His suggestion was Goodwin arrived, started taking notes for the match, then Vine appeared and sat behind him, and started speaking to him. Goodwin, and I quote, "looked thoroughly pissed off at his constant chirping in his ear"

IMG_6116.thumb.jpg.878e310173fe657d4d75fca7ba42ea82.jpg.c754d2c352ebe9e5f248392546e13e07.jpg

😂

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lovely stuff 😂

Vine looks like a bellend. Kinda wish Jim lamped him.

Must admit some amount of drama/twists/turns has been created over a player who hasn't really shown he is worth the attention in the past 2/3 seasons.

Might be a bullet dodged by StJ. Wouldn't be too upset if either of the Dundee clubs bankrupt themselves trying to sign him.

30 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

I’m quite enjoying the idea of Stevie May partnering Pavol Sanfranko up front for us this season tbh. 

I should probably just get that idea right out my head right enough because there’s next to no chance of it happening is there?

Just checked on bet365. The odds on St Mirren’s strikeforce being Sanfranko & May are the same as me being picked for the next European Ryder Cup team, and getting a call from Kylie Minogue saying she’s coming over to my place tonight wearing the outfit she sported at the Glesga’ Commonwealth Games.

9AF7CBC0-D6FF-46F6-B0F2-29B247BAC06B.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just checked on bet365. The odds on St Mirren’s strikeforce being Sanfranko & May are the same as me being picked for the next European Ryder cup team, and getting a call from Kylie Minogue saying she’s coming over to my place tonight wearing the outfit she sported at the Glesga’ Commonwealth Games.

9AF7CBC0-D6FF-46F6-B0F2-29B247BAC06B.jpeg

Ach they wouldn’t score as many goals as Mullen and Cooke anyway 😋