The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

22 minutes ago, christinanade said:

I would say yes he is, specifically due to the fact he is a lb and we currently have no lb.

We should get cammy smith back, who looks to yet again be a bench warmer at best for dundee utd.

Another midfielder? Or are you advocating playing Cammy Smith at left back? 

24 minutes ago, christinanade said:

I would say yes he is, specifically due to the fact he is a lb and we currently have no lb.

We should get cammy smith back, who looks to yet again be a bench warmer at best for dundee utd.

Can't agree with the Cammy Smith thing. Neither Stubbs nor Oran fancied him, and hardly tore the heather up for United... 

He was my PotS the season before last, but it's time to move on, I reckon.

I didn't see much of Sanfranco when he was at Dundee United but what I would say is the fact that Robbie Neilson elected to start with Osman Sow ahead of him in many of Dundee United's more crucial matches hardly inspires confidence. I'm sure he'll be an improvement on Cody Cooke. 

3 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I didn't see much of Sanfranco when he was at Dundee United but what I would say is the fact that Robbie Neilson elected to start with Osman Sow ahead of him in many of Dundee United's more crucial matches hardly inspires confidence. I'm sure he'll be an improvement on Cody Cooke. 

He had fitness issues, did he not? Sure I asked the Arabs at the time and they said that was the only reason he wasn't starting.

Osman Sow, though 😂

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can't agree with the Cammy Smith thing. Neither Stubbs nor Oran fancied him, and hardly tore the heather up for United... 

He was my PotS the season before last, but it's time to move on, I reckon.

The problem for Cammy Smith is that at clubs like ours managers don't want to play him in his strongest role. He's 5'7" so managers look to put him out on the wing, when he is a far better player playing through the middle supporting a mobile front line that likes to move defenders out of position. He worked well with Gavin Reilly and Lewis Morgan precisely because those two players made themselves a handful for the opposition allowing him some freedom to get in where it hurts. 

He's undoubtedly a talented player but he needs a specific type of manager at a specific type of club to allow him to play to his strengths. 

6 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

The problem for Cammy Smith is that at clubs like ours managers don't want to play him in his strongest role. He's 5'7" so managers look to put him out on the wing, when he is a far better player playing through the middle supporting a mobile front line that likes to move defenders out of position. He worked well with Gavin Reilly and Lewis Morgan precisely because those two players made themselves a handful for the opposition allowing him some freedom to get in where it hurts. 

He's undoubtedly a talented player but he needs a specific type of manager at a specific type of club to allow him to play to his strengths. 

Yeah. The way we set up, and the pace in that Jack Ross team, was probably flattering to a lot of players, if we're entirely honest with ourselves. You're bound to find space if the opposition is doubling up on Lewis Morgan, for a start.

Genuine question on a related note: would you have Reilly back? I feel like his pace would be useful on the counter, for example. But I still don't see him as a proper number 9 and I think he'd struggle in a team providing very little service.

20 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

He was carrying a virus through season end in into playoffs.

Osman Sow was barely getting so much as a sniff before that.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah. The way we set up, and the pace in that Jack Ross team, was probably flattering to a lot of players, if we're entirely honest with ourselves. You're bound to find space if the opposition is doubling up on Lewis Morgan, for a start.

Genuine question on a related note: would you have Reilly back? I feel like his pace would be useful on the counter, for example. But I still don't see him as a proper number 9 and I think he'd struggle in a team providing very little service.

Nah, he's a good championship centre forward but that is his level.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He had fitness issues, did he not? Sure I asked the Arabs at the time and they said that was the only reason he wasn't starting.

Osman Sow, though 😂

No I don't think so. Sanfranco played 33 games last season. Osman Sow had injury problems and had failed a medical at Hearts before signing for United. Nicky Clark had a number of injury issues throughout the season, but as far as I am aware Sanfranco was fit. 

Sow was preferred by Neilson despite having been arrested in Sweden for fraud and money laundering in April and despite player pressure calling for Sow to be dropped. I think Neilson may have been showing loyalty to a player who had been with him at Hearts and MK Dons. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Yea but why let Muzek go when he was the best we had and there would be no bedding in problems? Doubt we will sign much better. Sure we may sign someone as good then they spend two months getting to know their team-mates while we drop points. And why talk about stability when we let decent players leave and go through the unstable process of finding a replacement?

Who knows why Muzek didn't take up our deal. Perhaps he wanted to play for a team that wins its league and gets European football?

Does it really take months to settle in a player?

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I would. I liked Reilly. Always a handful for defenders with the way he buzzed around them giving them little peace. He didn't have the best of seasons at Bristol Rovers, but he's certainly good enough at our level IMO. 

If I was a central defender I would love the physical battle with the likes of a John Sutton or an Ikpeazu. What would worry me far more would be a striker who was quick enough to run away from me, playing off my shoulder and who is sharp enough and clever enough to punish my mistakes. 

Edited by Malky3

I’ll be happy if wee John Baird comes back. Feck, I’ll be happy if anyone* comes back.  Gie’s a signing (or eight).

* Terms & conditions (& Djemba Djemba) apply.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Who knows why Muzek didn't take up our deal. Perhaps he wanted to play for a team that wins its league and gets European football?

Does it really take months to settle in a player?

No, of course not. However it does take time for a squad to gel. 

There is a reason why teams that have relative stability in their playing squad tend to be more successful. 

1 minute ago, Malky3 said:

No I don't think so. Sanfranco played 33 games last season. Osman Sow had injury problems and had failed a medical at Hearts before signing for United. Nicky Clark had a number of injury issues throughout the season, but as far as I am aware Sanfranco was fit. 

Sow was preferred by Neilson despite having been arrested in Sweden for fraud and money laundering in April and despite player pressure calling for Sow to be dropped. I think Neilson may have been showing loyalty to a player who had been with him at Hearts and MK Dons. 

Safranco wasn't fully fit.

He was taken off suffering from an illness in the first leg v ICT. The illness led to him not starting in the subsequent games.

Am I right in remembering that we unveiled these four signings on the same day? If correct, we need not one, but two, days like that - over the next fortnight or so. Sheesh.

Edit: .... and why can’t we have a sponsor logo treated in this way, to look a damn sight better on B&W stripes than the SkyView rectangle patch slapped on?

Aye, I know, I’m a moan, fcuk it though, why not?

99341619-A688-4210-8542-4350B2B0D3F1.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

51 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Am I right in remembering that we unveiled these four signings on the same day? If correct, we need not one, but two, days like that - over the next fortnight or so. Sheesh.

Edit: .... and why can’t we have a sponsor logo treated in this way, to look a damn sight better on B&W stripes than the SkyView rectangle patch slapped on?

Aye, I know, I’m a moan, fcuk it though, why not?

99341619-A688-4210-8542-4350B2B0D3F1.jpeg

Now a Will Haining or a fit Dargo type of player is exactly what we need. 

Gavin Reilly is probably around the same level as danny mullen, which tbh is probably championship level.

Talking of cammy smith being played out of position, last night was totally bizzare although probably enforced due to lack of bodies.

Mcginn at cb, erhahon at lb, djorkaeff left wing, macpherson right back for about ten minutes until injured, andreu in that invisible role, cody cooke on the pitch. All seemingly unnatural positions. It's no wonder we aren't performing. It said it all when djorkaeff couldn't get past his man the entire game then when he got subbed off and the young boy came on, he instantly flew past their right back like he wasn't even there.