The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I know we have had to waste money paying people off, but we still have bigger crowds than at least four other SPL sides, we also had the McGinn money. We should surely at least be able to compete in wages offered with other bottom half sides. 

If you add up the management teams (5!), the shite players, and the whole teams of players that we release every January who are still in contract, over the last five years then there is not a lot left.  An example this week is Heaton - not only did we pay money for him but we gave him a 3 year deal making him one of the highest earners at the Club. Now paid off after only 2 games and 12 months. 

39 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

If you can find the word armageddon that you say I wrote I will donate £100 to your chosen charity.  Take it your in to spinning lies or to a lesser extent fabricating the truth. I know you are above that. 

I quoted you as saying we are 'financially fucked', which you did... Even if the word itself was not written, if that's not a prediction of financial armageddon, what on earth is? 

Had you said 'the budget is lower this year and we are having to cut cloth to suit', no-one would have picked up on it or taken real issue. 

You said we're 'financially fucked' though. 500% certainty as well. 

17 minutes ago, Hammerheid said:

Of course he is, from a 3 year contract probably worth over £200,000, behave yerself man...

Absolutely nowhere near that happening. Frustrated as he may be, that simply won't happen, I'd hang my hat on it. 

4 hours ago, elvis said:
4 hours ago, pozbaird said:
Have we ever appointed a manager who walked out / was bagged / mutually consented / fcuked off to Coleraine before a single league game was played? Probably the only managerial scenario that hasn’t happened to us in the last decade mind you.

Yes Ian munroe

Has DZ hacked your account? 

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Apparently after Pavol Safranko, who was on loan at Dundee United last season. Guessing it would be a loan.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-mirren-want-sign-former-18680093

Safranko would be a very good signing. 

I now await Killie or Hearts nipping in. :lol:

Edited by djchapsticks

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Apparently after Pavol Safranko, who was on loan at Dundee United last season. Guessing it would be a loan.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-mirren-want-sign-former-18680093

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Safranko would be a very good signing. 

Would be a superb signing. United fans always gave the impression he was hefty earner even when on loan, though.

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:
This new approach we have, which favours neither quantity nor quality, is certainly an interesting one. It might catch on: wonder if the other teams are watching and taking notes.

Killie appear to be playing the same game of chicken.

True: I really think they're in the same boat we were last year. Come off the back of a good season, goodwill already gone, manager fucked everyone off already... Probably wondering if they can/should bag him.

I'd still swap their squad for ours in a heartbeat, though, if not their manager.

6 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Safranko is very good btw.  He's a nightmare for defenders to battle against with his energy and aggression, he has quality in the penalty box too. 

Left: St Mirren front office during transfer negotiations.

Right: Player’s agent.

FDB8FC84-FFF7-4C7C-A6DB-1056B2899DB1.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Safranko is very good btw.  He's a nightmare for defenders to battle against with his energy and aggression, he has quality in the penalty box too. 

Yeah, he had limited game time in the playoffs but was their biggest threat, IMO, though that might not be saying much.

I look forward to seeing him playing against us after signing for Killie.

Edited by Coventry Saint

True: I really think they're in the same boat we were last year. Come off the back of a good season, goodwill already gone, manager fucked everyone off already... Probably wondering if they can/should bag him.
I'd still swap their squad for ours in a heartbeat, though, if not their manager.
Aye, they were never going to replace SC like for like in the same way we were never going to replace JR.

Worth remembering as well that Lee McCulloch signed most of that Killie team iirc and they were struggling badly before SC was appointed.

Big Safranko up front would be an upgrade, i think we handled him pretty well against United but you always felt if they were going to score it would have been through him.

At what point do we pick up the phone to Jackson? Or has he been signed up?