The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Pozbaird and Demented Zebra are on the money in my opinion. Loan signings probably won St Mirren the League Cup in 2013 but its left the club addicted to a transfer system that causes instability. When you add that to the number of managers, coaches and players that we've churned through particularly since Gordon Scott took over its quite obvious why the club is in a bit of a state. 

St Mirren should be able to finacially out perform Livingston, Ross County and Hamilton in this league. If the Chairman and the CEO were any good at their job, raising off field income, the club should be able to compete with the likes of St Johnstone, Motherwell and Kilmarnock. Sadly so far every transfer window looks like a panic, all cash is there to be squandered and there has been little evidence of any long term strategy. 

Livingston somehow managed to find a formula that brought them success during the early phase of last season, and this ultimately secured their survival by the New Year or thereabouts.

As far as I am aware (or can recall), they didn't spunk daft money on 'marquee' signings, and didn't enter into any bidding wars, etc. They assembled a reasonably solid core of competent enough players, and played in a consistent manner that made them hard to break down. It wasn't pretty, but it was generally effective, and goes some way to demonstrating that, even at this level, clubs don't need a host of superstars in their ranks to achieve relative success.

Jim Goodwin needs time and some resources to figure out what his formula is for relative success. There are decent players out there, as we discovered in January, so we all have to be patient and put our trust in those at the club to work things out.

2 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Livingston somehow managed to find a formula that brought them success during the early phase of last season, and this ultimately secured their survival by the New Year or thereabouts.

As far as I am aware (or can recall), they didn't spunk daft money on 'marquee' signings, and didn't enter into any bidding wars, etc. They assembled a reasonably solid core of competent enough players, and played in a consistent manner that made them hard to break down. It wasn't pretty, but it was generally effective, and goes some way to demonstrating that, even at this level, clubs don't need a host of superstars in their ranks to achieve relative success.

Jim Goodwin needs time and some resources to figure out what his formula is for relative success. There are decent players out there, as we discovered in January, so we all have to be patient and put our trust in those at the club to work things out.

We do need to put our trust in GLS and Fitzy. Sadly, my view is that we are something approaching amateur hour in the way we conduct our business. 

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

We do need to put our trust in GLS and Fitzy. Sadly, my view is that we are something approaching amateur hour in the way we conduct our business. 

Fitzy is a nice guy but he is not the man for that role. He is unrealistic in his ramblings and we need someone with their feet on the ground. As for Gus I am yet to see the benefit of his role. Djorkeff was recommended by trigger and not Gus. 

38 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I think Livingstons strength is that they tend to keep it simple. They generally recruit players they know. Their squad over the last three years was pretty stable despite going through three managers and their style of play has been consistent throughout. It's not the Barcelona or Bayern Munich way, but it's effective, it works and to be perfectly honest I thought it was often prettier than the fayre served up by St Mirren last season. They also seemed to have players they could bring on that would change their approach play if needed and players that could adapt to tactical changes effectively if a player was injured or sent off. 

Our club has got into a rut. A core of very average players who don't have great technical ability but who want to play possession football. Often this means passing the ball around the back line while the opposition get back into shape. Last night there was a play which really summed it up for me. The Edinburgh City centre half played a slack pass out of defence, which was gathered by one of our players around 30 yards from goal - possibly McGinn. Instead of driving forward and trying to take advantage he actually turned and passed the ball to the left back and they proceeded with their frustratingly slow build up all over again.

Our promotion season wasn't like that. We often went from back to front quickly and pressed the opposition into making mistakes. We need to get back to getting the ball into areas of the pitch where we put the opposition defence under far more pressure. Hopefully Jim Goodwin has the nous and knowledge to get the club back playing to it's strengths although having seen his post match interview where he talks about how professional and how well his players did last night, it does make me wonder if he's seeing what everyone else can see. 

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

So it would appear.

I would much prefer a more business savvy CEO, with TF as some kind of club ambassador.

Never sure what to make of GLS, to be honest.

27 minutes ago, Drooper said:

So it would appear.

I would much prefer a more business savvy CEO, with TF as some kind of club ambassador.

Never sure what to make of GLS, to be honest.

Well, the Dundee United ‘spitting’ incident, and the Oran Kearney departure handling doesn’t say anything bar amateur hour.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Well, the Dundee United ‘spitting’ incident, and the Oran Kearney departure handling doesn’t say anything bar amateur hour.

It also disappoints me the way we,are treating Tansley. It's not his fault picking up an injury we know he had a injury history. We should be looking after him helping him. 

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

It also disappoints me the way we,are treating Tansley. It's not his fault picking up an injury we know he had a injury history. We should be looking after him helping him. 

How are we treating Tansey?

Don't spare us any factual details.

Just now, FTOF said:

No wonder Tansey is injured if GLS and Tony are treating him. Someone get the guy a taxi up to the Royal Alexandria.

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

Our promotion season wasn't like that. We often went from back to front quickly and pressed the opposition into making mistakes. We need to get back to getting the ball into areas of the pitch where we put the opposition defence under far more pressure. 

To be fair our promotion season was like that too at times. Against Brechin we struggled when they sat in. East Kilbride again, their keeper played well but we only won 1-0 with a last minute goal and Raith Rovers who managed to beat us in the Challenge Cup.

The difference was we had players willing to take responsibility and drive forward as well as width and players for every position including LB!  

40 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Not at Spain , not training with the squad or the under 21's. I'm sure at the training ground we have fully qualified coaches, physio, sports  scientist. Training by himself on a ruby park is ideal ?  Tansey on his own social media page wrote he has no idea what's going on. 

Are you sure about your conclusion? Just checked his Twitter and he talks about EXTRA rehab Extra usually means in addition to usual so maybe he's working with a programme from Saints physios as required and doing some additional work to try to get fit? Don't know either way myself but his tweets aren't as clear cut as you suggest

Not at Spain , not training with the squad or the under 21's. I'm sure at the training ground we have fully qualified coaches, physio, sports  scientist. Training by himself on a ruby park is ideal ?  Tansey on his own social media page wrote he has no idea what's going on. 

24 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Yeah, once again, I'll advise that you should perhaps not speak about a situation before you know the facts.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Are you sure about your conclusion? Just checked his Twitter and he talks about EXTRA rehab Extra usually means in addition to usual so maybe he's working with a programme from Saints physios as required and doing some additional work to try to get fit? Don't know either way myself but his tweets aren't as clear cut as you suggest

Not see extra rehab but take your word for it which is good. A fit Tansey would be a great addition to the squad sitting in front of the defence.  If I'm your then apology from me.