The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I wonder if Goodwin’s friendship with Jack Ross will see a couple of loan deals come our way from Sunderland. 

Fcuk that. I was wondering if Goodwin’s friendship with Cadbury would see some choccies come my way.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Happy with Cooke in the squad. Christ, we have a thin enough squad as it is, why would we want rid of someone who, while clearly not Alan Shearer or Mo Salah, is certainly worthy of a shirt and of fighting for his place. He tries, he has come on a bit, there’s a player in there, etc, etc.... fades to distance as voices in his head say ‘who could we get in, at the same wage level, who would fight for a spot and be better than what we already have...’

and MUCH more to the point, who is that good, but not signed for someone that we can afford?

1 minute ago, jaybeee said:

and MUCH more to the point, who is that good, but not signed for someone that we can afford?

Indeed. No disrespect intended at all, but if we got rid of Cody Cooke, we’d most likely be scouring the market we operate in for a Cody Cooke, so...

31 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's going back a bit, but we've binned off (or written off) strikers in the past who have gone on to better things - nobody shed a tear when Magennis and Iwelumo left us (I know Josh Magennis was on loan, but the point stands.) 

He adapted to a lot last season, had a lot of niggling injuries, and emerged with a lot of credit. I'm very glad he still has another year to go and I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

For the record, I was also quite excited about Callum Ball, so feel free to bookmark this.

2013/14 was obviously the season for having unbelievably honking strikers on loan who go on to be decent. Magennis barely looked like a footballer for the majority of his time with us and we also had the even worse Stephane Bahoken.

Thankfully Cooke looks far better than either of them did during their time with us.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

I wonder if Goodwin’s friendship with Jack Ross will see a couple of loan deals come our way from Sunderland. 

Strong possibility, though he has said he's going to limit loan numbers if possible.  I always feel like fullbacks are fairly safe loan acquisitions, so a left back and wide player would be ideal. Hopefully not many others on loan after that.

Doesn't look like we'll be seeing Muzek again. He was solid enough, for the most part (St Johnstone away blunder aside). With Hodson also away, we will probably need two left backs in, as Erhahon shouldn't play in there again unless we are severely depleted by injuries and suspensions.

Just now, Drooper said:

Doesn't look like we'll be seeing Muzek again. He was solid enough, for the most part (St Johnstone away blunder aside). With Hodson also away, we will probably need two left backs in, as Erhahon shouldn't play in there again unless we are severely depleted by injuries and suspensions.

Yeah, I'm assuming he's away. Shame. 

I worry that we don't have enough room in the squad for two left backs - more likely we get in someone like that Gary Miller who could maybe fill in there if needed, as well as in other positions. And yeah, I hope Erhahon doesn't get exposed like that again. Won't help his development getting roasted in a position he doesn't like.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I'm assuming he's away. Shame. 

I worry that we don't have enough room in the squad for two left backs - more likely we get in someone like that Gary Miller who could maybe fill in there if needed, as well as in other positions. And yeah, I hope Erhahon doesn't get exposed like that again. Won't help his development getting roasted in a position he doesn't like.

Aye, that's probably right enough. A utility defender in the Hodson mould might be more likely, with a dedicated left full back as first pick.

We've had mixed fortunes in terms of left backs over the years. Not sure why, but it always seems to be a tricky position to fill.

5 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

I thought Muzek was a bit shite anyway.

Tend to agree. He’s no bad, but prone to some big errors, such as Jonnies away.

In terms of who is better, hadn’t heard of Hladky or Popescu before January, so I’m sure there are plenty of alternatives.

4 minutes ago, Drooper said:

We've had mixed fortunes in terms of left backs over the years. Not sure why, but it always seems to be a tricky position to fill.

Insert moan about Stubbs/Eckersley here --->                      <---

2 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Tend to agree. He’s no bad, but prone to some big errors, such as Jonnies away.

In terms of who is better, hadn’t heard of Hladky or Popescu before January, so I’m sure there are plenty of alternatives.

I suspect that whoever was involved in negotiating the deals to bring our Eastern European contingent to the club in January (recruitment agency?) will have picked up the strong scent of the filthy lucre. This is possibly what killed the Popescu return, going by the OS account.

If so, I think we are less likely to see many more deals of this type. That and JG's comments regarding loan deals not being his preference.

7 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He was steady and fairly average tbh, but didn’t offer much going forward. I’d prefer a left back who can bomb forward with a bit of pace.

Too often, though, we've had one or the other. I can't recall many who are solid defenders and also get down the wing effectively. Maybe Dummet being the last we had who was proficient in both areas (though he a bit raw and prone to mistakes)?

21 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Aye, that's probably right enough. A utility defender in the Hodson mould might be more likely, with a dedicated left full back as first pick.

Martin Baker is the best one I remember

It'll be interesting to see the nick the squad is in - physically and mentally - after coming back from Spain. It was the Spain trip last year when things allegedly started to unravel for Stubbs.

We're ahead of ourselves, year-on-year, if the established players don't  detest the manager and aren't already resenting the pile of absolute jobbers who've been brought in.