The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

First spell, 73-79, 0 top six finishes.

Second spell, 81-89, 4 top six finishes.

So, in his 14 years there, you finished top six 4 times. The last time you done it was in that spell, in 1985.

Theres no excuse for his constant prattling on about how St Mirren should be a top six side, it's just moronic and sets everyone up for a fall before the seasons even begun. Literally mo benefit to him speaking out at all.

5 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
1 hour ago, Chewing Taffies said:
He had bigger gems than a top 6 finish tbf:
"Why not try and win [the league] - it's there to be won. It might seem impossible, but I look at Leicester City a few years ago and everybody said it was impossible for them to win the league."
"There's teams who have been in the top six like Dundee, Partick Thistle, Ross County, Inverness Caledonian Thistle. I think St Mirren are a far bigger club than any of them. So we should be striving for that."
emoji38.png

The man is a clown .you set your targets within your dressing room to give out those comments the day after JG arrives is crazy . but as I said on a previous message JG is no fool

To be fair to Tony I felt he was set up in the interview (although he should not have said we are a 'bigger' club than anyone else). He did not phone Sportsound to spout this pish but they phoned him about Goodwin and was further asked about aspirations. Tony (rightly) said you have to aim high otherwise what is the point. But he would be better just keeping quiet.

Top 6 is hardly an achievement to be proud of. It’s half way up a shite league, so what?

Do we get the open top bus out for it or..?

I’d like for us to stay clear of the relegation battle all season. Like Livi or St Johnstone did this year. If we finish 6th or 7th in the process... not too fussed.

Least if we finish bottom 6 we have the bonus of 1 less game against each of the Old Firm.

And regardless of what gets cascaded down to us, 5% is set aside for the clubs a player is developed at. In John McGinn's case it's divided up 3.5% St. Mirren and 1.5% Hibs. 

Dubious of the price quoted to say the very least but it means on a £50m transfer, we'd get £1.75m as a development fee and Hibs would pull in £750k. Regardless of any sell ons Hibs may have. 

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

And regardless of what gets cascaded down to us, 5% is set aside for the clubs a player is developed at. In John McGinn's case it's divided up 3.5% St. Mirren and 1.5% Hibs. 

Dubious of the price quoted to say the very least but it means on a £50m transfer, we'd get £1.75m as a development fee and Hibs would pull in £750k. Regardless of any sell ons Hibs may have. 

Do we also receive a third of what Hibs get aside from the development fee ?

22 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Do we also receive a third of what Hibs get aside from the development fee ?

It depends on the contract really.

I know Hibs got something for Villa going up and we definitely got a cut of that. So I'd imagine so.

Edited by djchapsticks

I'm a bit confused as to why St Mirren would get a single penny from McGinn moving from Villa to anywhere. Was that negotiated by St Mirren or is it just a case of the "original" club always get a kick back of any future transfers? 

11 minutes ago, Dele said:

I'm a bit confused as to why St Mirren would get a single penny from McGinn moving from Villa to anywhere. Was that negotiated by St Mirren or is it just a case of the "original" club always get a kick back of any future transfers? 

According to my St Mirren supporting pal they have a 33% claim to any future profit. Great deal for them if true but I’ve never seen it confirmed. 

4 hours ago, Dele said:

We get one third of any money Hibs make off of McGinn's transfer. 

So it all boils down to whether Hibs have negotiated a percentage sell on. If they have, we're due a cut. But even if they haven't, we still both get our development money if he moves. 

Edited by djchapsticks

4 hours ago, Dele said:

Well, you'll only ever hear St Mirren fans claiming this about John McGinn, so make your own mind up.

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We get one third of any money Hibs make off of McGinn's transfer. 

So it all boils down to whether Hibs have negotiated a percentage sell on. If they have, we're due a cut. But even if they haven't, we still both get our development money if he moves. 

St Mirren negotiated to get a third of anything Hibernian make from a move from Aston Villa as well as a third from what Hibs made when he moved to Aston Villa? :huh:

19 minutes ago, Dele said:

St Mirren negotiated to get a third of anything Hibernian make from a move from Aston Villa as well as a third from what Hibs made when he moved to Aston Villa? :huh:

Seems far-fetched to me, too. The development fee is real, though, and still substantial.

It's largely moot, anyway: St Mirren have never been good with money. We'll only find some mad way to spunk it on some absolute haddies.

Edited by Coventry Saint

25 minutes ago, Dele said:

I'm not 100% but we get a cut of any money Hibs make from McGinn's transfer to Villa. 

A sell on clause (if one is there) means that Hibs will still be making money from his Villa transfer. 

I'm basing this on the fact that there was a promotion clause in the transfer to Hibs and some of that trickled down to us. So a cut of clauses evidently does exist. 

Either way, if he goes for anything approaching the price quoted its win win. The development fee is set in stone and a massive payday. 

Edited by djchapsticks