The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Hodson off to Gillingham, whose manager has described him as a "stylish attacking player". He was decent but that's not exactly the first description that comes to mind!

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hodson off to Gillingham, whose manager has described him as a "stylish attacking player". He was decent but that's not exactly the first description that comes to mind!

Hodson played decently up until his injury, I'd have liked to have had him back for his versatility but I'm not devastated that we missed out.

Good luck to him.

1 hour ago, gc_smfc said:

Shame to miss out on Hodson, his versatility alone made him a good squad player, even though he'd be out his depth in next year's European campaign.

This is it. He's very versatile but he's not as good as either of our central mids, he's not as good as McGinn at RB and he's not as good as Muzek at LB.

He can fit into all of those positions but the wage he was presumably coming away from at Rangers meant that we'd have to be paying money out that would justify him starting every week and I honestly just couldn't see that.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

This is it. He's very versatile but he's not as good as either of our central mids, he's not as good as McGinn at RB and he's not as good as Muzek at LB.

He can fit into all of those positions but the wage he was presumably coming away from at Rangers meant that we'd have to be paying money out that would justify him starting every week and I honestly just couldn't see that.

Thought he had the makings of a decent wing back, but I'm hoping we won't be playing five at the back next season tbh.

I like Hodson and had hoped he would stay. He's not irreplaceable although it would be good to keep a nucleus and maintain a bit of continuity.  Having to bring in 10-15 new players every year (even twice a year!) isn't ideal.

Hopefully MacKenzie and Muzek sign up soon.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I like Hodson and had hoped he would stay. He's not irreplaceable although it would be good to keep a nucleus and maintain a bit of continuity.  Having to bring in 10-15 new players every year (even twice a year!) isn't ideal.

Hopefully MacKenzie and Muzek sign up soon.

Hopefully any players we bring in on full time contracts will be signed up for 2 years. 

16 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Hopefully any players we bring in on full time contracts will be signed up for 2 years. 

Will likely be a mix of 1 and 2 years. Unfortunately, if we offer up 2 year deals and go down, we'd be in a world of trouble.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Will likely be a mix of 1 and 2 years. Unfortunately, if we offer up 2 year deals and go down, we'd be in a world of trouble.

I'd imagine its easy enough to write relegation clauses into any contract. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Any club worth their salt surely have break clauses/wage drops in the contracts. We're signing players to 2 year deals with the option to trigger a third year

1 hour ago, DumbartonBud said:

Disappointed to miss out on Hodson, thought he was solid and consistent, only bonus was that we didn’t lose him to a St Johnstone or Motherwell type of club in the same league as us. 

I'd hoped we'd look at Hodson. I take the point from @djchapsticks that he might not be the best full back or midfielder going but he's worth two or three squad players with his versatility.

So equally, I'm glad that he hasn't gone to a rival as I think it would have lessened their squad building job. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I'd hoped we'd look at Hodson. I take the point from @djchapsticks that he might not be the best full back or midfielder going but he's worth two or three squad players with his versatility.

So equally, I'm glad that he hasn't gone to a rival as I think it would have lessened their squad building job. 

Probably went for more cash than we could afford and is replaceable,  so not overly concerned. 

On 6/7/2019 at 20:02, Dele said:

I take it @jaybeeeis related to 'Fitzy'?

Thats a few times on here in the past couple of weeks he's been getting slagged on here by a load of posters and he's went around red dotting all the posts. :lol:

Never met the man but just as I commented on Black and White Army the other day; it would seem that anyone can have their say and post their opinions, which is just as it should be, apart from Tony F that is?  And if I wish to red dot the posts, is that not my prerogative? ( see dictionary). 

Nobody has said he can't voice his opinion. Don't try and victimise the man because he's being laughed at for his laughable views. 

You're right, you can red dot whatever you like. It was merely an observation that it was ridiculing 'Fitzy' that set you off. 

1 minute ago, Dele said:

Nobody has said he can't voice his opinion. Don't try and victimise the man because he's being laughed at for his laughable views. 

You're right, you can red dot whatever you like. It was merely an observation that it was ridiculing 'Fitzy' that set you off. 

If you wish to post a reply it would be useful for it to make sense and be at least somewhat grammatically correct.  Your second sentence says what exactly?  I was not attempting to victimise anyone; least of all Tony and whether or not his views are laughable is a subjective and not a universal statement.  With regards to the last sentence; in itself that too is an observation and nothing 'set me off', I was simply expounding my views which I understood was the rationale behind posting in a forum, or perhaps that is only if other people opinions fall in line with yours.

So what do we reckon the transfer strategy will be this summer?

Go for tried and tested Scots like Paul McGinn who are out of contract? Take a reject from a bigger club like Tansey?

Go foreign again like Vladky and Popescu?

One thing is for sure, we won't be delving in to the 7th tier of English football or the Jamie fuckin Vardy academy.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Go for tried and tested Scots like Paul McGinn who are out of contract? Take a reject from a bigger club like Tansey?

One thing is for sure, we won't be delving in to the 7th tier of English football or the Jamie fuckin Vardy academy.

Budget is always our problem a name comes out we all water at the mouth only for it to fall through happens every summer now. Good player coming back from a bad injury ? Someone ready to make the step up from N-Ireland. ?  Prolific goal scorer every club is after one of them. Fingers crossed. 

All I am hoping for is that we have A strategy, I don’t really care what it is. I would imagine that’s Gus core role was to come up with one and been identifying players for us over the last few months. January - as chaotic as it was showed some promise as we unearthed a de gems (by our standards). I suppose we’ll find out in next couple of months if we just got lucky or not.