The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

When’s the last time that Baccus & Strain had any sort of run together as first choices in the St Mirren starting line up? Don’t get me wrong, I like both, but as weeks turn to months, turn to an entire season, they are in, out, in, out (shake it all about). There’s always talk about one, or both of them being on other clubs’ radar. There’s a wee part of me now that actually thinks, if that’s true, then get deals done and we move on. 

On 24/03/2024 at 14:58, capt_oats said:

Not being a dick or anything but what happened with Turnbull?

His Celtic career probably didn't pan out as he might have hoped but a serious injury and a change of manager was as much a factor in that as anything.

He made 125 appearances for Celtic compared to Morgan's 31.

Won PFA YPOTY, was Celtic's POTY and YPOTY in his first season along with being included in the PFA team of the year and was a member of the Scotland Euro2020 squad.

Along with:
2 League Titles
2 Scottish Cups
2 League Cups

His time at Parkhead was hardly a bust.

Jumping in late, but when Turnbull was at Motherwell and Ferguson at Aberdeen, who did you think would go on to be the better player at this stage?

Turnbull to Celtic was the wrong decision, IMO. Said as much at the time.

59 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Jumping in late, but when Turnbull was at Motherwell and Ferguson at Aberdeen, who did you think would go on to be the better player at this stage?

Turnbull to Celtic was the wrong decision, IMO. Said as much at the time.

It's been discussed to death on our thread and I've no real interest in spamming a St Mirren thread about a former Motherwell player who's never kicked a baw for them. I mean they have enough of our former players, managers and coaches on their books as it is but of the options Turnbull had on the table Celtic made the most sense given that the other option was Norwich u23s.

As far as Ferguson goes, he seems to have kicked on in Serie A so fair fucks to him but it's worth mentioning that he made that move when he was 23. Turnbull was 21 when he moved to Celtic (19 when the original deal was agreed) his time at Celtic was the equivalent to  Ferguson's time at Pittodrie and at the respective points in their career when Ferguson moved to Bologna and Turnbull was at Celtic I'd still have had Turnbull as the better player - I don't even think that's particularly controversial: Turnbull at Celtic was, IMO, a better player than Ferguson at Aberdeen.

The fairly benign point I was making the other day wasn't even whether they are/aren't good players it was simply that, IMO, in terms of their Celtic careers Lewis Morgan and Turnbull aren't especially comparable and that if you're using examples of young Scottish players who have made the move that haven't really worked out then, for me, Turnbull doesn't really fall into that bracket.

Morgan, respectfully, made a relatively small number of appearances (14 in the league, 31 in total 11 of which were starts) and was all over the place on loan whereas Turnbull established himself as a first team regular (100 league appearances, 134 in total 82 of which were starts) before his time at the club tapered off - particularly after it became clear there was no chance he was signing the extension he'd been offered.

Anyway, as I say, the David Turnbull vs Lewis Ferguson thing has been done to death on our thread so apologies to the Buddies on here for the incursion.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

When’s the last time that Baccus & Strain had any sort of run together as first choices in the St Mirren starting line up? Don’t get me wrong, I like both, but as weeks turn to months, turn to an entire season, they are in, out, in, out (shake it all about). There’s always talk about one, or both of them being on other clubs’ radar. There’s a wee part of me now that actually thinks, if that’s true, then get deals done and we move on. 

The last game they played together in the league was the 4-0 defeat at Dundee and we’ve done Ok since then, Killie second half aside obviously. Both will be gone next season but it would be foolish not to give them game time until then and personally, I don’t want to know just now what they’re going to do, just play for the current jersey but I can also see SR saying he’s investing in players who will be here next season. 

41 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Morgan, respectfully, made a relatively small number of appearances (14 in the league, 31 in total 11 of which were starts) and was all over the place on loan 

Immediately on loan to Saints and about a dozen games at Sunderland is hardly "all over the place".

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Morgan, respectfully, made a relatively small number of appearances (14 in the league, 31 in total 11 of which were starts) and was all over the place on loan whereas Turnbull established himself as a first team regular (100 league appearances, 134 in total 82 of which were starts) before his time at the club tapered off - particularly after it became clear there was no chance he was signing the extension he'd been offered.

He only really had one loan. He loan to us was basically us getting him back for the remainder of his contract rather than seeing it out and leaving at end of that season.

His only real loan move, as pointed out, was a short spell at Sunderland.

I can remember Kwon and Baccus being in the same squad, but I can't remember them ever being on the pitch at the same time... I wonder if Robinson thinks they're too alike. It would be interesting to see how they got on together with them both breaking up play and getting in the grids of the opposition. 

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He only really had one loan. He loan to us was basically us getting him back for the remainder of his contract rather than seeing it out and leaving at end of that season.

His only real loan move, as pointed out, was a short spell at Sunderland.

Fair point. A poor choice of phrasing on my part.

I think I had it in my head that a part of his relatively few appearances for Celtic was down to him not actually being at the club having been bounced out on loan.

I mean, he signed in 17/18 and as has been pointed out to me he was immediately loaned back to St Mirren til the end of the season. He was loaned out for the 2nd half of his first full season and then sold to Inter Miami the January of his next season (19/20).

Happy to have been corrected though.

Edited by capt_oats

15 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I can remember Kwon and Baccus being in the same squad, but I can't remember them ever being on the pitch at the same time... I wonder if Robinson thinks they're too alike. It would be interesting to see how they got on together with them both breaking up play and getting in the grids of the opposition. 

I would love to see both of them in central midfield with Kiltie and OHara and one main striker . Think we would be very hard to beat .