The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Murray seemed like a good appointment at the time. I have some sympathy with him though, we'd just been relegated, shed a lot of shite from our squad, there was loads going on in the background with trying to get the club sold too.

That was a lot of upheaval that anyone would've found hard going.

That said, his signings were shite, he appointed a nobody as his assistant, then threw him under a bus when the club wanted Alex Miller in.

To his credit he knew he wasn't up to it and fell on his sword.

Murray was completely out his depth, but as mentioned was in charge at a time that there was no interest in developing the club from the board. He's completely failed to bounce back from the setback. His lack of contacts was pretty apparent from the players we ended up signing.

Came across as a 'philosophy' over results manager. Ended with him getting bullied off the pitch by fans after Dumbarton pumped us again, and he rightfully handed in his CV.

On 26/02/2020 at 09:08, Coventry Saint said:

There's been absolutely nothing between us and Aberdeen this season, and we've shaded them at home. We were arguably unlucky to lose away, too.

As you've said, they have to be slight favourites, but it could absolutely go either way.

The second season in a row that there has been nothing between St Mirren and the 3rd placed team in the division.

Nothing other than wins, points and 5 or 6 places in the table.

15 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

The second season in a row that there has been nothing between St Mirren and the 3rd placed team in the division.

Nothing other than wins, points and 5 or 6 places in the table.

This was a post made prior to the cup game, and was clearly referring to head-to-head games in which, in the league, it's a one-goal win apiece and a draw.

So, yeah, nothing between us. As I said.

Other than that, good point well made, mate.

28 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

This was a post made prior to the cup game, and was clearly referring to head-to-head games in which, in the league, it's a one-goal win apiece and a draw.

So, yeah, nothing between us. As I said.

Other than that, good point well made, mate.

Thanks for the clarification mate.

Murray was completely out his depth, but as mentioned was in charge at a time that there was no interest in developing the club from the board. He's completely failed to bounce back from the setback. His lack of contacts was pretty apparent from the players we ended up signing.

Came across as a 'philosophy' over results manager. Ended with him getting bullied off the pitch by fans after Dumbarton pumped us again, and he rightfully handed in his CV.

Murray seemed like a good appointment at the time. I have some sympathy with him though, we'd just been relegated, shed a lot of shite from our squad, there was loads going on in the background with trying to get the club sold too.

That was a lot of upheaval that anyone would've found hard going.

That said, his signings were shite, he appointed a nobody as his assistant, then threw him under a bus when the club wanted Alex Miller in.

To his credit he knew he wasn't up to it and fell on his sword.

At the time I thought it was a good appointment, someone who we should be going for at the time. Just like our current manager.

He was right up against it though and looked out of his depth pretty quick. Didn't have any sort of style or way of setting his teams up.

Not the most offensive manager we have had recently but looking at where we are now and where he has ended up is no surprise really.

All of the above. Seemed to come across as quite weak from a decision making perspective and just don’t think he’s cut out for being a manager. Think it’s now widely recognised that his best spell as Dumbarton manager came when Jack Ross was his assistant.

Nothing changed then still a Diddy

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, @footballCFB said:

Alan Stubbs reflecting on his short time at the club and dressing room unrest - https://anchor.fm/footballCFB/episodes/Football-CFB-with----Alan-Stubbs-part-2---Stubbs-the-manager-eblvks

Well I hope the interviewer asks him some decent questions unlike his media pals. Like what was behind his plan to bin the whole squad that won the Championship and what was the idea of signing non-league and inexperienced players from England who had never played first team professional  football in their life. And paying £80k for a guy that wouldn't get a game in any Junior team in Scotland. And what would he have achieved considering most of those players are now out of football or playing non-League again. Muppet.

Well I hope the interviewer asks him some decent questions unlike his media pals. Like what was behind his plan to bin the whole squad that won the Championship and what was the idea of signing non-league and inexperienced players from England who had never played first team professional  football in their life. And paying £80k for a guy that wouldn't get a game in any Junior team in Scotland. And what would he have achieved considering most of those players are now out of football or playing non-League again. Muppet.
No, it was all geared to 'Alan's the victim'. He uses TF's lack of reality for why he wasn't successful. Top 4 aspirations with bottom 2 budget.

The lack of quality in his signings, the choice of Darren Jackson as assistant, the complete lack of organization in his team's were all glossed over in favour of "some of the existing lads didn't take to the English lads." That and a bunch of "that's what you're dealing with" thrown in.

No, it was all geared to 'Alan's the victim'. He uses TF's lack of reality for why he wasn't successful. Top 4 aspirations with bottom 2 budget.

The lack of quality in his signings, the choice of Darren Jackson as assistant, the complete lack of organization in his team's were all glossed over in favour of "some of the existing lads didn't take to the English lads." That and a bunch of "that's what you're dealing with" thrown in.
There is some truth in not taking to the new signings. Not because they were English but because after the first training session they could not believe how off the standard the new recruits were. I believe other coaching staff at the club were horrified at the poor ability of the new signings.

18 hours ago, NorthBank said:
20 hours ago, Torfason said:

There is some truth in not taking to the new signings. Not because they were English but because after the first training session they could not believe how off the standard the new recruits were. I believe other coaching staff at the club were horrified at the poor ability of the new signings.

To be fair, Coulson is now a regular with Middlesbrough, but I agree about the rest. It's a close run thing whether that was our worst transfer window ever or TC's was. 

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

To be fair, Coulson is now a regular with Middlesbrough, but I agree about the rest. It's a close run thing whether that was our worst transfer window ever or TC's was. 

Couison could play, but was too lightweight. If he has grown up a bit then I could see him having a decent career. But no way was he ready to cope with the hurly-burly of the SPFL

13 hours ago, Insaintee said:

Couison could play, but was too lightweight. If he has grown up a bit then I could see him having a decent career. But no way was he ready to cope with the hurly-burly of the SPFL

Coulson was one of Stubbs's better signings and showed potential but it was the circumstances he arrived at Saints that was the main problem, one of too many young players thrown together with not really enough time for preparation - I'm taking a wild guess but probably Middlesbrough are not in the same state of disarray we were in back in 2018. .

Edited by btb

If Coulson had been playing in a team with an experienced defence and winger in front he'd have probably been ok.

Unfortunately he was thrown into a defence who'd never played together and where Jack Baird was the only player from the previous season. The boy didn't have much of a chance.

With all these interviews with Stubbs he says that he takes some of the blame, then goes on to blame other circumstances. The fact that in this interview the only mention of his signings is when he says that the other players didn't like them, rather than admitting he signed guys that weren't up to it, is telling.

He also bemoans the lack of a signing structure, that probably has merit given we brought Macpherson in, but it doesn't absolve him of blame for the signings. Jack Ross was able to sign decent players, as was Kearney (outside a transfer window!).

What a wonderful player Steven Thomson was. A great signing by Gus. We played Hibs first game of the season, maybe that season or season after, some Hibs twat got him sent off with a ridiculous dive and roll around. I think said Hibs twat then went on to play for us, he’s still a twat.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Something to cheer us up in these difficult times - 10 years ago today!

Strangely when you see matches you can so vividly remember you usually think ‘jeez where did the time go’  but that honestly feels like a lifetime ago.

Wasn’t at the match but can remember which pub I was watching it in and what table I was at. I cant ever recall such  a pumping off anyone other than the **** domestically. When the fourth went just felt numb and that is possibly the only time I certainly say our players down tools. Part of me wants to watch it and I don't know why.