The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Goodwin claiming in his interview with the official site that no one has been told or asked to leave.

Magennis also out long term and Durmus also injured (not sure how long) so guessing we may end up looking for another midfielder, although it's still probably the area we have most players for.

The Sun reporting the goalie Peter Urminsky signing for us today.

With S. McGinn, & McAllister  also out too our midfield is looking a bit threadbare too.

Peter Urminsky, - rushing off to his wiki page!

Edited by btb

Playing devil's advocate, do we need to sign another midfielder now that Magennis is injured?

Foley, Flynn and MacPherson can play there and we'll hopefully have McGinn back soon from injury. McGratth and Andreu can also play central, although are more attacking options, and we're reasonably well off for wingers.

Would we not be better giving Erhahon a go in his natural position or playing another youngster? The youth academy has produced a fair number of good central midfielders in recent years.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Playing devil's advocate, do we need to sign another midfielder now that Magennis is injured?

Foley, Flynn and MacPherson can play there and we'll hopefully have McGinn back soon from injury. McGratth and Andreu can also play central, although are more attacking options, and we're reasonably well off for wingers.

Would we not be better giving Erhahon a go in his natural position or playing another youngster? The youth academy has produced a fair number of good central midfielders in recent years.

I was about to agree until you mentioned Ethan. I do not think he is anywhere near ready for a starting slot in midfield. I certainly think he has to go on loan to give him much needed game time.

And hopefully not serious but McGrath has picked up a knock so won't feature this week anyway. And for me Junior looks better playing wide than he does as a striker and with another striker coming in he may be playing in midfield more regularly. Like you I think we have it covered.

14 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I was about to agree until you mentioned Ethan. I do not think he is anywhere near ready for a starting slot in midfield. I certainly think he has to go on loan to give him much needed game time.

And hopefully not serious but McGrath has picked up a knock so won't feature this week anyway. And for me Junior looks better playing wide than he does as a striker and with another striker coming in he may be playing in midfield more regularly. Like you I think we have it covered.

We haven't had a proper look at Ethan in his correct position, I think he gets too much hassle for his performances at left back last season. It was the same when Cammy MacPherson came in at right back and people assumed he would be as poor in midfield as he was in defence. He's now turned into one of the first picks and I think Erhahon deserves the same opportunity. 

Either way, I'm sure I seen a quote saying that Goodwin is in the market for a replacement for Magennis. 

54 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

We haven't had a proper look at Ethan in his correct position, I think he gets too much hassle for his performances at left back last season. It was the same when Cammy MacPherson came in at right back and people assumed he would be as poor in midfield as he was in defence. He's now turned into one of the first picks and I think Erhahon deserves the same opportunity. 

Either way, I'm sure I seen a quote saying that Goodwin is in the market for a replacement for Magennis. 

I accept he wasn't playing in his best position but the Premiership is no place to see how he gets on.

Cammy is 21 and had a loan spell at Stranraer before getting his chance. I knew Cammy was out of position at right back however he looked confident and done a decent job IMHO. Ethan looked a bag of nerves when he played. I just do not think Ethan is ready. Ethan is still only 18. His time will come but not now. He needs to rough and tumble of lower league football to see how he gets on.

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

I accept he wasn't playing in his best position but the Premiership is no place to see how he gets on.

Cammy is 21 and had a loan spell at Stranraer before getting his chance. I knew Cammy was out of position at right back however he looked confident and done a decent job IMHO. Ethan looked a bag of nerves when he played. I just do not think Ethan is ready. Ethan is still only 18. His time will come but not now. He needs to rough and tumble of lower league football to see how he gets on.

Fair enough. I’d be more than happy for him to start off in the first team. Didn’t do the likes of McGinn/Morgan/Mallan/McAllister any harm. 

4 hours ago, RossC93 said:

Yeah he did, which is why I'm questioning whether there is a need for one.

There were times last season Erhahon didn't look too bad, especially considering he was out of position. At others though he was quite dodgy - and he looked dreadful against Dunfermline in the League Cup. If we do sign another midfielder then he should definitely be getting punted out on loan to a lower league club who'll play him in his proper position. As much as I'm wary of using Scotland youth caps as a gauge of talent and potential, he's featured at pretty much every age level up to this point which is pretty good for a non-Old Firm guy so there must be a player in there somewhere.

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yeah he did, which is why I'm questioning whether there is a need for one.

There were times last season Erhahon didn't look too bad, especially considering he was out of position. At others though he was quite dodgy - and he looked dreadful against Dunfermline in the League Cup. If we do sign another midfielder then he should definitely be getting punted out on loan to a lower league club who'll play him in his proper position. As much as I'm wary of using Scotland youth caps as a gauge of talent and potential, he's featured at pretty much every age level up to this point which is pretty good for a non-Old Firm guy so there must be a player in there somewhere.

Have we ever played him in midfield? Genuine question, though I suspect the answer is no. We'd never given Cammy a run of games in the middle either until recently and he looks great.

Surely we can't write the boy off until he's been given a chance.

Side note: did anyone see Stelios has just signed for some absolute jobbers in the fucking Vanarama league. I'm not saying we should sign him, but Christ, I thought he was better than that.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Have we ever played him in midfield? Genuine question, though I suspect the answer is no. We'd never given Cammy a run of games in the middle either until recently and he looks great.

Side note: did anyone see Stelios has just signed for some absolute jobbers in the fucking Vanarama league. I'm not saying we should sign him, but Christ, I thought he was better than that.

His debut was against Hearts Colts in the Challenge Cup a few years back and he played the full 90 in centre mid. Looked very decent but bearing in mind that it was against guys who were of his level at that time. 

The same jobbers that released a certain Josh Heaton after he gobbled off on Twitter........small world

13 hours ago, RossC93 said:

Fair enough. I’d be more than happy for him to start off in the first team. Didn’t do the likes of McGinn/Morgan/Mallan/McAllister any harm. 

The big difference is that the above all looked gallus when they started out. They may had been inconsistent but they all had confidence  and the attitude they should be in the team. Ethan looked a bag of nerves that got worse as the season progressed. We may in fact have held back his development by continuing to play him. I thought his confidence was in shreds at the end as he would only make small safe passes sideways to give someone else the responsibility.

11 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't see anyone writing him off CS. The lad is only 18.

Ethan has played a couple of games in centre midfield. He played against Raith in the Challenge Cup and Away to Falkirk in the Championship and one game against the Fakes in the Premiership last season.

Personally I do not think last season done the lad many favours and would like to see him build his confidence first by getting regular football at a competitive level.

Edited by NorthBank
sp

12 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'd be gutted if McGinn left. Mr consistency no matter where he gets played.

We don't really have another right back if he does go, although Flynn has been excellent there

You can have Tom James in exchange if you want. 

Goodwin was saying in his post match interview,  hopefully 2 to come in before the Hibs game. A replacement for Kyle and an attacking option. The attacking option sounded more like an attacking midfielder rather than another striker. 

From looks of McCarthy and Famewo, we've added pretty decently in this window but you look further back at Hearts, who have significantly improved their squad and then around us at likes of St. Johnstone, Hamilton and maybe even Killie, who haven't and it becomes apparent how important these two proposed new faces being the correct folk for the job now becomes.

We can't 0-0 our way through to the end of the season. The defence is fine....most of us know that. But we need to have the correct folk up top.

Edited by djchapsticks