The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Not for a moment saying Danny is a great striker but he is a hell of a lot better than Cooke. Cooke has had 3 League starts in 20 months under 3 different managers tells its own story. Danny came on as a sub on Saturday, scored one, made one and had a great volley on target. Cooke had come on as a sub in the five previous games and I only remember one shot on target from him. Cooke offers very little.  I would punt Cooke and keep Danny for now.

I think they’re both being punted, and Danny just trying to get organized for next season which is completely understandable.

Cooke will prob be trying to find a club down south hence why not on this Scottish list (I don’t actually know what this list is, I had never heard of it before let alone seen it)

Need to trust Goodwin here, not Afraid of making hard decisions (mcginn not getting a look in for eg - no doubt he’s a big personality in the dressing room)

With gus and the scouting software we are using you would like to think we are finding better value in players in previously unknown markets for us

Not for a moment saying Danny is a great striker but he is a hell of a lot better than Cooke. Cooke has had 3 League starts in 20 months under 3 different managers tells its own story. Danny came on as a sub on Saturday, scored one, made one and had a great volley on target. Cooke had come on as a sub in the five previous games and I only remember one shot on target from him. Cooke offers very little.  I would punt Cooke and keep Danny for now.
Mullen came on v a sixth tier team. Cooke against premiership opponents.

I think both players will be surplus to requirements at the end of the season, if we stay up and have any ambition to improve further.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Mullen came on v a sixth tier team. Cooke against premiership opponents.

I think both players will be surplus to requirements at the end of the season, if we stay up and have any ambition to improve further.

Yea, I think both will go at the end of the season. And I take the point about Danny v Broxburn but Cooke doesn't even score in reserve games and contributes little in first team games when he does come on.

And Goody chose Danny before Cooke on Saturday against the sixth tier team. I admire Cooke's attitude but he isn't good enough for this level in my opinion. McGrath however looks far better than either of them if Saturday's cameo is a taste of what he can do.

You'd imagine both will be set to get let go. So it's not a surprise.

Cooke is more likely to stay purely because I'd guess he's getting paid less, and the drop off in quality isn't that large between the two of them.

9 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I must know the boo boys :D.

Wonder if we could use him as part of an exchange then.

Gutting for Mullen too, stepped it up for us when Reilly went off the boil a bit in the title season. Scored some spectacular and vital goals for us last season. I think Danny and Cooke have been up against it since our shambolic league cup campaign.

Cooke is different from the 3 strikers where as Mullen is similar to Obika and Junior, maybe why Danny is being shown the door. Sadly there is no way we would keep 5 strikers on the books so one has to go.

He'd be an upgrade for StJohnstone ahead of Kane, do a job for Accies. Other than they 2 clubs I think he'd be looking at upper end of the Championship.

I could see him going back to Livingston and scoring frequently against us.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I don't think any of our players will be going to clubs that could have an influence on us staying up or not.

Really?! All this discussion about Cooke and Mullen. Who cares? They aren't good enough - just get rid if the club can! 

Nicky Clark was apparently a strong possibility until he got injured. He's now out till the end of the season and yesterday signed a contract extension at Dundee United till 2021. The other name I saw St Mirren linked with earlier in the window was James Keatings at ICT.  

10 hours ago, houston_bud said:

He left us under bad terms, he was a wee fanny and Hopkin wanted him gone. Unless he's sorted his attitude out then I can't see it. If I remember correctly he went out drinking midweek and jumped down some stairs and injured himself for 4 weeks and Hopkin told him he was gone

Not sure he's good enough either tbf, nowhere near the player that Dykes is so depends on whether he'd want to be a backup

He left us under bad terms, he was a wee fanny and Hopkin wanted him gone. Unless he's sorted his attitude out then I can't see it. If I remember correctly he went out drinking midweek and jumped down some stairs and injured himself for 4 weeks and Hopkin told him he was gone

Not sure he's good enough either tbf, nowhere near the player that Dykes is so depends on whether he'd want to be a backup
That surprises me actually as his attitude appears to be good, certainly on the park when he always gives everything.

Agreed he's not as good as Dykes.

5 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Really?! All this discussion about Cooke and Mullen. Who cares? They aren't good enough - just get rid if the club can! 

Nicky Clark was apparently a strong possibility until he got injured. He's now out till the end of the season and yesterday signed a contract extension at Dundee United till 2021. The other name I saw St Mirren linked with earlier in the window was James Keatings at ICT.  

Keatings would be a step down compared to what we currently have. 

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Keatings would be a step down compared to what we currently have. 

Keatings' youth club explains why he's suggesting him. Ian McShane and Lewis Kidd will be next.

I'm not that fussed if either Mullen or Cooke goes this window (although not both), providing we bring in a suitable replacement. No point binning them if whoever we bring in is of a similar level or even worse. Of the two I'd rather we keep Mullen as he has at least shown he's capable of getting a few goals at this level - Cooke's only league goals for us came against a relegated team fielding a goalie with glass wrists.

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

Keatings' youth club explains why he's suggesting him. Ian McShane and Lewis Kidd will be next.

I'm not that fussed if either Mullen or Cooke goes this window (although not both), providing we bring in a suitable replacement. No point binning them if whoever we bring in is of a similar level or even worse. Of the two I'd rather we keep Mullen as he has at least shown he's capable of getting a few goals at this level - Cooke's only league goals for us came against a relegated team fielding a goalie with glass wrists.

As much as I love them both, and still want to see Cooke given another year, if they  both went so we could bring in one incredible striker, then I'd be happy with that.

A team that plays one up front doesn't need four strikers, and McGrath has clearly been brought in as a potential 'number 10' type, so we've got quite a few options now.

There’s nothing at all wrong with Danny Mullen’s attitude, that’s probably his best attribute since he signed under Jack Ross.

His work rate and selfless team play have been second to none. He’s scored some absolute top drawer goals and played a major part in keeping us in this league.

Seeing names like Keatings as a possible replacement, has me thinking meh.

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

They also claimed that we were after Middleton, which was a load of pish.

Your manager confirmed you made a move didnt he? 

Middleton got injured and I'm sure Goodwin said that had killed the deal.