The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Looking now like this is a goer and could be done as soon as weekend.

I don't think it is a goer DJ, I may be wrong but I think it's Rangers using us as leverage in negotiations with someone else. Time will tell I suppose!!

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Slightly surprised at this, thought we had enough cover in the wide areas with Durmus, McAllister, McGrath and Magennis also able to play there.

McAllister is broken - definitely not someone who you'd hang any sort of hopes on between now and the end of the season.

Magennis is also completely wasted in the wide areas but can cover in a pinch.

Similarly, Flynn and Foley could also cover there, but you'd rather not have to rely on either doing so.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

McAllister is broken - definitely not someone who you'd hang any sort of hopes on between now and the end of the season.

Magennis is also completely wasted in the wide areas but can cover in a pinch.

Similarly, Flynn and Foley could also cover there, but you'd rather not have to rely on either doing so.

With or without the new player, something's got to give in the middle of the park. There isn't room for McPherson, Flynn, Foley and Magennis in there. 

Nice problem to have, but it's a tough call.

I think you've still go to go with the experience of Flynn and Foley who are both undroppable when fit, IMHO, with Cammy dropping back to the bench and Magennis shuffling out wide. But it's tough to call.

You can see why McGinn is basically surplus to requirements now, legend that he is.

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

With or without the new player, something's got to give in the middle of the park. There isn't room for McPherson, Flynn, Foley and Magennis in there. 

Nice problem to have, but it's a tough call.

I think you've still go to go with the experience of Flynn and Foley who are both undroppable when fit, IMHO, with Cammy dropping back to the bench and Magennis shuffling out wide. But it's tough to call.

You can see why McGinn is basically surplus to requirements now, legend that he is.

Magennis should be giving way to McPherson on current form. I’m not a fan of sticking with out of form players. Magennis hasn’t kicked a ball all season, cammy is the in form player at the moment.

21 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Magennis should be giving way to McPherson on current form. I’m not a fan of sticking with out of form players. Magennis hasn’t kicked a ball all season, cammy is the in form player at the moment.

So who's going out wide? I think Magennis is suited to going there more than any of the others.

Agree with this. Never quite seen what all the fuss about with Magennis is tbh. He’s very... average. He’s not exactly a hard tackler and he doesn’t chip in with many goals or assists.

Whereas McPherson does both, the improvement in Cammy this season has been remarkable and he’s pretty much first name on the team sheet now.

37 minutes ago, Lex said:

Agree with this. Never quite seen what all the fuss about with Magennis is tbh. He’s very... average. He’s not exactly a hard tackler and he doesn’t chip in with many goals or assists.

Whereas McPherson does both, the improvement in Cammy this season has been remarkable and he’s pretty much first name on the team sheet now.

I actually believe Kyle has great ability, he’s just not progressed as much as we all thought he would since promotion.  There can be a multitude of reasons why this has been the case. He’s a young lad who I’m sure will find his form again. 

Tend to agree with Lex, Magennis is a decent player however don’t think he’s of the calibre of young players we’ve brought through and lost in recent years. I think Magennis’ best form in the team was when he first came through under Jack Ross and played on the right of midfield. Perhaps there is a Hugh Murray type situation with the captaincy & he should be left to play his game without the added responsibility. McPherson has done very well over the past month previous to the winter break. Think it is a bit over the top to have him as first name on the team sheet mind you. I wouldn’t shift him out the team at the moment because his form deserves inclusion in the starting 11 and central midfield.

Magennis is only 21, same age as MacPherson, and he's played a lot of football for his age, despite a few injuries. He's clearly a good player who has had a slight dip in form. Our fans are fucking awful for doing this to our younger players, with both McLean and McGinn suffering similar shite when their form dipped a bit. Erhahon has also been written off at the age of 18. 

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I actually believe Kyle has great ability, he’s just not progressed as much as we all thought he would since promotion.  There can be a multitude of reasons why this has been the case. He’s a young lad who I’m sure will find his form again. 

It can't have helped that we've been absolutely shite since we got promoted. It's hardly conducive to helping younger guys develop and reach their potential.

According to Goodwin:  "We did make an enquiry for Glenn in the summer but unfortunately he chose to go to Hibs and that was that. We have moved on since then and it wouldn't be something that we would be looking to do this window.

"We are talking to one or two others at the moment, hoping to get them over the line. I don't want it dragging on until the window closes. We are not desperate to get anybody else in but the one or two we are speaking to are very good and would make us better in the second half of the season."

There was a bit somewhere else where he says we're well covered in that area, which was exactly my thought when the rumour first surfaced!

Tad random at first glance, but a quick search shows that Skyview have signed up as a sponsor of Juventus' US academy and a couple of youth invitational tournaments being run by them. Hence, Del Pierro was kicking about at the media event.

Time to get the feelers out for a wee parent club deal, I reckon. ;) 

Also, Youri Djorkaeff wearing a Saints shirt and Alessandro del Pierro getting the obligatory 'posing with the shirt' pic in the one season?! 1997 me is screaming inside a wee bit. Get me some Batistuta and Cantona before the season's out and I'd be away to finish myself off.