The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Oam Djork -----  is training with Queens with a view to taking him on loan .
What is he like decent player worth signing ?
No idea. Looked ok in the few Betfred Cup appearances. Think he's come off the bench once in the league and he didn't look great.

He needs to go and get games hopefully a move to the likes of Queens would work out well for everyone.

5 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We've honestly hardly seen him. He's undeniably skilful but clearly lacking something that JG is looking for in a player. He was signed at a point in the summer when we had about 11 first team players so was possibly a bit of a panic buy.

He really should show up well at your level, but he's a complete unknown quantity in all honesty.

39 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

I think he'd do pretty well in the Championship from what little I've seen of him. 

He's not had much in the way of game time since he had a bad performance against Motherwell. 

Obviously Goodwin hasn't seen anything in training to merit a run in the team. 

47 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Unknown as a player tbh but worth signing if you want a World Cup winner to come visit your ground. 

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Still seeing a few mutterings on Twitter from Rangers fans that Glenn Middleton is heading to us on loan. 

Would be an interesting one. 

Apparently we're in for him too, Holt worked with him when they were at Norwich. We've got a winger in on trial right now so obviously a position we're looking at

5 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

I’ve got a relative who plays with St Mirrens youth team and have attended 3 reserve games at St Mirrens training ground over the last few months, and I’m sure Djorkaeff either started or was subbed on in all of them, and scored in at least one of them. Obviously the surname turns heads a little bit,  but from watching him and listening to guys on the sideline it seems he’s just not good enough for first team Premiership action, especially in a team battling at the bottom of the league. He looks quite a classy player in the reserve games, but to be honest they are not the highest quality and played at a much slower pace than a competitive game. Take my personal opinion with a massive pinch of salt as I am no football scout, but I don’t think the Scottish Championship would be a league he would do well in, where you get very little time on the ball and rarely have a lot of space to run into. Very happy to be proved wrong and would genuinely be interested to see how he fared in a competitive league. 

Dundalk fans/journos are having quite the salty meltdown on social media about McGrath signing for shitey old St Mirren. This points to one of two things: either they have a vastly over-inflated sense of where their league/team stands in the pecking order, or we've really signed a gem here*.

* To be fair, both could be true.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Dundalk fans/journos are having quite the salty meltdown on social media about McGrath signing for shitey old St Mirren. This points to one of two things: either they have a vastly over-inflated sense of where their league/team stands in the pecking order, or we've really signed a gem here*.

It has been a bit of a meltdown. I genuinely had no idea the Irish league was that highly rated considering nobody in Ireland even seems to watch it. Apparently Dundalk would hammer St Mirren. Also, they play in Europe.

With the exception of the Celtic and Rangers Irish teams often do better in Europe than Scottish teams.

The Irish national team, who have qualified for tournaments far more frequently than us, has picked players from the league or Ireland before they've picked Irish players playing in Scotland. See the likes of Jonny Hayes, Darryl Horgan too.

A lot of people in Ireland don't have a high opinion of the Scottish game.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Its delightful. We had the same when we signed David McMillan, apparently he'd given up Champions League football to join a backwater league no better than their own.

They slinked away once it became clear he was out his depth over here whilst being a goal machine there.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

That journalist's sourest of sour grapes article is horrific. I regret clicking on it as ultimately the more traffic through the articles the better he'll look but it's a terrible piece of work. It's pretty telling that the best players in the Scottish leagues never go to the Irish league however the best players in the Irish league tend to move to Scotland. It's a foregone conclusion. I've never seen a game in the Irish league, I don't intend to.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its delightful. We had the same when we signed David McMillan, apparently he'd given up Champions League football to join a backwater league no better than their own.

They slinked away once it became clear he was out his depth over here whilst being a goal machine there.

To be fair, I felt a wee bit sorry for McMillan. He's clearly been a good goalscorer his whole career but he left it too late to make the move and then got himself injured early on and your team sort of moved on without him.

Had he moved to you in his early to mid 20s, I reckon you'd have had a decent player.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, I felt a wee bit sorry for McMillan. He's clearly been a good goalscorer his whole career but he left it too late to make the move and then got himself injured early on and your team sort of moved on without him.

Had he moved to you in his early to mid 20s, I reckon you'd have had a decent player.

Maybe, but hes too slow and weak, and got himself into a habit of missing sitters, I think most of his goals were back post headers from about 2 yards. If anything the injury bought him more time with the club, as if he'd continued to play he'd have been chucked by the first Summer window rather than the January. 

Falkirk fans aren't at all fussed he might be leaving them this January which says a lot.

With the exception of the Celtic and Rangers Irish teams often do better in Europe than Scottish teams.

This isn't really true at all. The only Irish sides who typically make any sort of progress in Europe are their champions, who get two bites of the cherry because they get a go at the Europa League once they've been pumped out of the Champions League by the first half-decent team they face.

If Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hibs, Killie or even St Mirren were to enter the Champions League at the stage where they do then I'd expect them to get very close to the Playoff Round too.

13 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

That journalist's sourest of sour grapes article is horrific. I regret clicking on it as ultimately the more traffic through the articles the better he'll look but it's a terrible piece of work. It's pretty telling that the best players in the Scottish leagues never go to the Irish league however the best players in the Irish league tend to move to Scotland. It's a foregone conclusion. I've never seen a game in the Irish league, I don't intend to.

I guess it's a bit like the whining and wailing you get here when some Celtic player who has spent the last year telling morons how much he loves the club can't f**k off quick enough as soon as there is a whiff of interest from Bournemouth or Norwich I suppose.