The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

39 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

There's a risk with any signing really. I think with signing young loan players from England often the problem is that these guys haven't played many, if any, first team games. They're probably all good players but to make your first team debut against the likes of Curtis Main who has probably 200 or 300 games under his belt will always be difficult.

The game is faster up here and a little more physical too and there have been a few players who did a job playing first team in England who haven't done well up here. Going from playing U23 and reserve games which are full of young players and the odd guy coming back from injury to all of a sudden being up against someone like Alan Power or Lyndon Dykes, who'd kick their own granny to win a game of football, is a different game altogether.

Yeah, agree, and like Btb said it's even worse when you throw too many of these guys in the team together as there is nobody next to them to help them through. Even some of our successful young loanees had pretty ropey starts. Dummet looked a bit shaky in his first couple of games, and I'm sure I remember Newton's debut being an absolute nightmare where he got hooked at half time. Billy O'Brien had an absolute nightmare at Starks early on where he chucked a couple in as well. I'm hopeful these young guys we've signed will be good players, and I think having guys like Broadfoot, McGinn and Hladkey in there with them will make a real difference.

If Jim is picking up new signings from Paisley International* then I hope he’s borrowing GLS’ new wheels to do it. Saw it in the car park prior to the Killie game. A beaut’.

*Looking forward to the new metro link from Renfrewshire’s premier airport to Renfrewshire’s premier train station. Wonder if they will build a station at Renfrewshire’s premier shopping destination on the river....

Now we just need to build a wall, and get Glasgow to pay for it.

Edited by pozbaird

According to The Sun, Slovakia under-19 goalie Peter Urminsky is training with us with a view to signing. Only 20, wonder punt him on loan for the rest of the season to get him used to life in Scotland.

According to The Sun, Slovakia under-19 goalie Peter Urminsky is training with us with a view to signing. Only 20, wonder punt him on loan for the rest of the season to get him used to life in Scotland.

6 foot 6 apparently! (according to the ever reliable transfermarkt)

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Kyle Gunn's interview with Goodwin giving a few insights into him and his rationale.

Saying that there's possibly room for another one or two in this window which makes sense. I'd imagine one of those, if he is any good, will be the young Goalkeeper, Ursinsky. Said that he'd be coming in as a bridge between the reserves and first team so IMO, it would absolutely make sense that he brings him over if he's good enough. That gives him 6 months to settle in and adjust to Scotland and once Vaclav goes in the summer, we already have two goalkeepers up to speed to fight for the vacant No 1. 

As for another player, not sure where he'll be looking to improve but it will definitely be in an attacking sense I'd imagine but he acknowledges that it's not a live or die issue. Think most of us would say 'fair enough' to that as well.

What did strike me, though was that he's already reaching out to try and get PCAs lined up for the summer. We've always been a club who quite openly, don't deal with bringing guys in on PCAs . So I'm surprised (and pleasantly so) that Jim is saying we're looking at several players who we know are out of contract with a view to talking to them and getting them tied up before the summer. He obviously knows too then, who of his upcoming lot of out of contract players (Hladky, McGinn and Gary MacKenzie are the most obvious and I imagine will free up a decent amount of budget) will be gone and already knows what he wants to replace them with and has had the blessing from the chairman to reach out.

Gus was always lamenting whilst our manager, that it was hard to do his job as we couldn't deal in PCAs since we didn't know where we'd be from one year to the next, so if this is a change of outlook from us, it's a quite welcome one.

He's also been pretty open in his BBC interview about how hard coming in was in the summer at short notice as he couldn't necessarily get the summer window that he'd have wanted and he plans not to be caught so cold this summer. That he wants to get most of the business he wants done early in the window and then take it from there. It's quite disconcerting as a St. Mirren fan to hear our manager appearing to plan forward...even Gus and Danny seemed to just fly by the seat of their trousers most of the time but Goodwin definitely seems to have a plan in his head.

Also, the new lad McCarthy saying that he took St. Mirren's offer more seriously than the English L1 clubs who had been in touch as Goodwin was phoning him directly on a regular basis, picked him up directly from the airport to give him the tour of the facilities and being hands on whilst still deciding and that really sold him to the idea that this was his next move. 

Wholly impressed with the way he's conducted himself so far in his time in charge. Whether it comes to fruition or not (and lets be honest, we've seen enough false dawns), it at least appears that the guy is trying to build something. 

Goodwin is a great guy with the club at heart. He wants to be a success and that can only be good for us. Great news to see his plans for the rest of the season and beyond. 

On 08/01/2020 at 21:05, btb said:

At the time (The Summer of Stubbs) i felt it was the number of inexperienced players being used that was the problem - 2 inexperienced players as a maximum would be my rule of thumb. The situation was exacerbated with some of our more experienced players having not played (or played much) at top flight level.

You’ll never win anything with kids! 😃

7 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Gents, I’m going to be in the area next Saturday with work. Fancy taking in your Scottish Cup tie if I’m finished on time. Will there be a cash turnstile or a ticket office open?

You can buy the tickets from the kiosk or ticket office right up until kick off m8 

11 hours ago, RussellV1 said:

Might be more of them than us at the game 😂

I know you're probably joking, but I don't understand why anyone would want to miss this game.

Other than the dummy spitters that whine incessantly that "it's not on my season ticket, so I'm not going":bairn

We'll have at least three new signings potentially on show in a Scottish cup tie, and Broxburn have added to the occasion by ensuring a great atmosphere.

Plus it's been a few weeks without football since we hammered Killie 1-0.:D

I know you're probably joking, but I don't understand why anyone would want to miss this game.
Other than the dummy spitters that whine incessantly that "it's not on my season ticket, so I'm not going":bairn
We'll have at least three new signings potentially on show in a Scottish cup tie, and Broxburn have added to the occasion by ensuring a great atmosphere.
Plus it's been a few weeks without football since we hammered Killie 1-0.[emoji3]

I was going to give it a miss but I may well now reconsider.