The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 30/12/2019 at 14:25, billyg said:

Heard he'll go back to Hull ( hope not). We are pursuing another Irish central defender but his club are looking for a fee !

Conor McCarthy,  Cork City, is  the player  concerned !

42 minutes ago, billyg said:

Conor McCarthy,  Cork City, is  the player  concerned !

He's out of contract at the end of the season, so hopefully they'll not be after too much.

Whether we'll be able to afford a transfer fee at all, is debatable.

On 03/01/2020 at 11:50, FTOF said:

He's out of contract at the end of the season, so hopefully they'll not be after too much.

Whether we'll be able to afford a transfer fee at all, is debatable.

Season in Ireland finished in October.

Being reported fairly widely that Conor McCarthy is on the verge of signing, and will be joined by Jamie McGrath, a winger/AM from Dundalk.  A Dundalk-based twitter account says McGrath also had another offer from the Premiership, as well as from England and Belgium (doesn't say what level.)

A CH and wide player were, IMO, top of the list for January so I'd be happy to see arrivals in those areas, though obviously I know nothing about either of these guys.

3 minutes ago, Green Day said:

JK is a clever player, really liked him when he was with us.

Seems to struggle a bit in the top division tho.

Yeah, it looks like he's struggled a bit since his time with you lot. 

I dont think he would offer anything different from the forwards we already have. 

3 hours ago, Munoz said:

Yeah, it looks like he's struggled a bit since his time with you lot. 

I dont think he would offer anything different from the forwards we already have. 

He could offer goals as he has scored more than the combined efforts of Morias, Mullen and Cooke. Not saying he would be my choice but .....

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Exactly the type of player we should be targeting, decent length of contract too. Hopefully he'll prove to be an excellent signing.

2.5 year deals are interesting.

It shows long term planning which we are really not used to seeing at all. Also like this idea that we've been watching Ireland extensively since the summer and striking at a point where we know these guys are primed to join and still mostly match fit.

Hopefully McCarthy and McGrath prove to be good additions, their clubs' fans are a bit miffed that we've ended up with them which is always a good sign.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

2.5 year deals are interesting.

It shows long term planning which we are really not used to seeing at all.

Obika, Morias, Broadfoot, Durmus and McAllister are all on longer deals too, IIRC.

Without getting into a debate about the merits of each of those players, it's really refreshing to see a longer-term view being taken. The annual (or twice-annual) squad churn was expensive, unsustainable, shit for the fans and detrimental to performance.

Something I've just realised, which is absolutely mad after the past few seasons:  we only have one player on loan from another club at the moment. One. Feels weird.