The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

From his comments there, Rangers looks a non-starter. I certainly hope that's the case. The boy has said since day one he wants to play in England. I very much hope a prominent Championship club take a punt on him as it will show other talented foreign players the platform that we can provide.

2 hours ago, Munoz said:

I'd wish him nothing but the best. Possibly the best goalkeeper I've ever seen at Saints, including Thompson and Money.

One of those player who looks to good for your team as soon as he signs and you hope you can hang on to him as long as possible before another team notices.

great shot stopper, great ball handling, comfortable with the ball off of either foot. Has all the attributes to play at the top in England.

Ross Wallace seemingly on trial. I assume our new scouting partners have got the Football Manager beta as it was only through playing that I noticed he was free. We'll be looking at Ross McCormack next....

We already have two wingers on long term deals but Durmus blows hot and cold and McAllister is injured fairly regularly - plus we've hardly been creating lots of chances when they're fit and doing well. If Wallace is as good as or better than them and is relatively fit then no harm having a look. He can fill in at leftback as well, which is handy given the situation with Waters.

However, there is a part of me that would rather see someone like Breadner or Henderson given a shot than bring in a guy who is near the end of his career and will be short of match fitness. We could also wait until January and see if better options are available, although December will probably stretch the squad a fair bit.

Personally I think Durmus isn't getting a fair chance. He looked good against Hibs and Aberdeen then then has only featured as a very late sub ( v Celtic doesn't count). I would like the guy to get another couple of starts to see how he has adjusted. And playing Magennis wide is just plain stupid when he should be playing the Andreu role.

I thought Wallace had converted to LB in the latter stages of his career? Would be quite happy with us offering a short term deal. 

Eta: I see Stu alluded to this in his post. 

Edited by RossC93

Not really the sort of signing we should be wasting the budget on in my opinion. Reeks of a Webster scenario. Would like to see a bit more thought to the future in our signings instead of journeyman at the end of their career. Would also like to see youth given more of a chance. Breadner, Macpherson, Erhahon. And in their actual positions as well.

18 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How was Christophe Wreh for St Mirren? I mind him as a Champ Man machine worth millions, but can't remember how good he actually was. Anything like his cousin?

Pish, lazy and unfit. Missed his train when we tried to punt him on loan to Darlington.

19 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Personally I think Durmus isn't getting a fair chance. He looked good against Hibs and Aberdeen then then has only featured as a very late sub ( v Celtic doesn't count). I would like the guy to get another couple of starts to see how he has adjusted. And playing Magennis wide is just plain stupid when he should be playing the Andreu role.

He’s started v Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hamilton, Hearts, Motherwell & Celtic. 

7 Starts out of 11 games seems a fair chance and he hasn’t impacted any of those games since Aberdeen, there’s a player in there though so hopefully he can find form again. 

as for Wallace, he could end up being a Gary Teale like signing & that didn’t turn out so bad

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Lola montez said:

Anyone know if there is still money to be made from SJM if he moves again?

Yeah, we're due something like 3.5% because of the development fee rules. You get something like 0.5% for every year he spent being 'developed' at a club before he reached a certain age. 

That is an established rule and has nothing to do with any arrangement with Hibs.