The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

Looking for opinions,  we Airdrie have a certain Ian Murray as Our Manager,  he has produced probably the most expensive, most defensive minded, dull, and shot shy team in living memory,  he had a short tenure at yourselves a few years back,  what was he like at saints or basically exactly what I have described with us...   In fairness you do not seemed to have looked back since you binned him......

We have recent history for signing the most incompetent managers in world football. Murray was near the beginning of the run closely followed by the likes of Rae and Stubbs (both never to get a manager's job again IMHO). Murray was signed due to 'success' at Dumbarton which turned out to be Jack Ross's success as Assistant manager at Dumbarton. Quickly we dumped Murray and eventually signed the real 'success' behind Dumbarton.

Anyway as DJ has stated he managed to play absolute rubbish with a very good squad. Good luck to Airdrie on your next appointment and for now head to the cinema on a Saturday if you want entertainment.

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

We have recent history for signing the most incompetent managers in world football. Murray was near the beginning of the run closely followed by the likes of Rae and Stubbs (both never to get a manager's job again IMHO). Murray was signed due to 'success' at Dumbarton which turned out to be Jack Ross's success as Assistant manager at Dumbarton. Quickly we dumped Murray and eventually signed the real 'success' behind Dumbarton.

Anyway as DJ has stated he managed to play absolute rubbish with a very good squad. Good luck to Airdrie on your next appointment and for now head to the cinema on a Saturday if you want entertainment.

I still think Rae gets a slightly harder time than he deserves from Saints fans. He had a disaster of a summer which left us with an awful powderpuff midfeild because he clearly hadn't anticipated Quinn being injured, and he'd punted Goodwin. Guys like Shankland, Hardie and Walsh should have been decent signings, but he fucked up big time with the midfeild, and even Ross couldn't fix that until January when he brought in McGinn.

However, it shouldn't be forgotten that Rae took over an even worse squad that Murray had put together and dragged them to pretty comfortable safety the season before. He wasn't the complete disaster people make him out to be.

16 hours ago, Passionate said:

Looking for opinions,  we Airdrie have a certain Ian Murray as Our Manager,  he has produced probably the most expensive, most defensive minded, dull, and shot shy team in living memory,  he had a short tenure at yourselves a few years back,  what was he like at saints or basically exactly what I have described with us...   In fairness you do not seemed to have looked back since you binned him......

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Murray wasn't great at all. His team seemed to offer no dig and he added some of the worst players I've seen at St. Mirren in the last few years in the shape of Luke Conlan, Cameron Howieson and Stuart Carswell.

Our midfield was consistently over-run and we won something like 2 league games in 16 under him with a team consisting of Jamie Langfield, Andy Webster, Lawrence Shankland, Stevie Mallan, Jason Naismith, Jim Goodwin, Lewis Morgan and Keith Watson.

So aye, not very good.

I've always held the idea that we were just too big of a basket case for Ian Murray: that the club was suffering with disinterested owners, and a squad with too many 'big' players at the end of their careers. But yeah, as you said, he still made the squad worse than the sum of its parts.

Plus, his travails at a club such as Airdrie who should, at the very least, be yo-yoing between the second and third tiers, indicate perhaps he's really just not got it at all.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I know of at last one person who agrees with you 😂

Ha ha, honestly though, I can kind of understand why he's quite bitter over the whole thing. Let's be honest, the main reason he got sacked is because Scott didn't fancy him from the start and wanted Ross. He probably had earned a wee bit more time with his new squad than he got.

Just to be clear, I'm not upset he got sacked, and I'm glad we replaced him with Ross. I just think for a guy who kept us up at a difficult time and signed some good players he gets it a bit rough. It's not like Stubbs, who managed to f**k the club in the space of three months, or Kearney who was actively working his ticket and had no intention of staying on this season and was basically deliberately trying to get sacked, wasting half the summer while he did it. 

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

Ha ha, honestly though, I can kind of understand why he's quite bitter over the whole thing. Let's be honest, the main reason he got sacked is because Scott didn't fancy him from the start and wanted Ross. He probably had earned a wee bit more time with his new squad than he got.

Just to be clear, I'm not upset he got sacked, and I'm glad we replaced him with Ross. I just think for a guy who kept us up at a difficult time and signed some good players he gets it a bit rough. It's not like Stubbs, who managed to f**k the club in the space of three months, or Kearney who was actively working his ticket and had no intention of staying on this season and was basically deliberately trying to get sacked, wasting half the summer while he did it. 

I actually agree - I didn't want him at our club, but he did do an ok rescue job that first season he was in. I always felt that Murray got an easy ride, for the reasons I mentioned above, but really it doesn't stack up with the benefit of hindsight.

What killed Rae off for me was that strikeforce we had - Sutton, Hardie and Shankland - and we were still shite. Though when you consider Hardie just doesn't seem to like us, and Shankland was clearly having issues of his own at that point, again, maybe it's not entirely Rae's fault.

Then again, you hear the stories about training sessions being Rangers vs Non-Rangers and you realise how far he needed to get in the sea 😂

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I actually agree - I didn't want him at our club, but he did do an ok rescue job that first season he was in. I always felt that Murray got an easy ride, for the reasons I mentioned above, but really it doesn't stack up with the benefit of hindsight.

What killed Rae off for me was that strikeforce we had - Sutton, Hardie and Shankland - and we were still shite. Though when you consider Hardie just doesn't seem to like us, and Shankland was clearly having issues of his own at that point, again, maybe it's not entirely Rae's fault.

Then again, you hear the stories about training sessions being Rangers vs Non-Rangers and you realise how far he needed to get in the sea 😂

Yeah, but your strikers are only as good as the service. I think what killed Rae was McKenzie and Quinn being injured and not signing a left back and instead punting Irvine out there. None of those strikers were any good under Ross either, because we basically had no midfeild. Mallan was too soft and Hutton was just shite.

Rae saved us which is undoubtedly a good point but he underachieved with the squad he had and the hoofball was dire.

And while I do not expect every manger to support the Club they should at least show an interest in the Club that pay his wages. Rae kept referring to the players as 'they' and not 'we' as if he somehow had nothing to do with them. He rubbished the great Academy we have and said he wasn't interested in it. And in all the (many) years I have followed football I have never come across a manager who showed no allegiance to his current Club but total in-your-face support to a previous Club. He attended matches at his old Club sitting with the fans; he constantly talked in the media about his old Club and never about St Mirren. He could not even put on a St Mirren training top but insisted in wearing tops of his old Club. His signing policy was to sign players from his old Club - Kyle Hutton, Calum Gallagher, Tom Walsh, Ryan Hardie, and Andy Webster

And while his allegiance to Sevco did not necessarily make him a bad coach it made him a bad manager as he clearly demonstrated he did not give a damn about St Mirren and that his Loyalties lay elsewhere. Hardly inspirational for team morale or encouraged togetherness when all he talked about was Sevco. I heard from a member of staff that almost every sentence from Rae started with 'When I played for ....' . Well St Mirren players and fans do not give a shit about Sevco.

I always thought we appointed Murray a year too late. I think 2013/14 was the season he (or Jack Ross) almost sneaked Dumbarton into the play-offs, when the aim was to stay up. He was used to setting a team out to frustrate and battle to stay in the league. Had we appointed him when he gave the job to Craig, that's what he'd have been doing but at a higher level. Instead, he came in when we'd just been relegated and didn't seem to be able to change his approach to be a bit more attacking and actually win some games. And on the rare occasion we were in such a position he didn't know what to do either, as witnessed by the collapse against Falkirk.

The relegation and the cutbacks that followed meant things were in a bit of a mess off the field and it would have been difficult for anyone but he made a complete arse of it with his tactics, bringing in Mark Spalding as his assistant and some of his signings. In his last couple of months there wasn't a single glimmer of hope to cling on to that he might be able to turn things round, even when Alex Miller came in as his assistant, and it was absolutely right he was binned.

As for Rae, NorthBank has summed it up quite nicely (although Webster and the outfield Gallagher were Murray signings). To be honest, the prosecution of his time with us could easily start and end with the words "Kyle Hutton".

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Apolgies Stu. Both Webster and Gallacher were indeed with the club. Rae gave both a 1 year extension.

I remember thinking it was a coup when we signed Webster, only to realise after a few weeks that he was lazy, disinterested and his legs had gone. Ian Murray made him captain.

So...bottom after the first round of matches. Not panic stations yet but definitely need to go on a decent run. Wouldn't want to be depending on hearts and hibs to stay crap all season.
We are still within a couple of results of Livi. Not time to panic but the away form is really not good enough.

Obika is starting to look like a decent player imo

11 minutes ago, christinanade said:

So...bottom after the first round of matches. Not panic stations yet but definitely need to go on a decent run. Wouldn't want to be depending on hearts and hibs to stay crap all season.

The bit that gets me is that today on Social Media I read the Chairman saying he was happy with how things were progressing. 

One shot on target tonight. Not a hammering, but if this is the way we're going to play all season we will deserve to finish right where we are right now. 

3 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

This was our heaviest defeat of the season so far. Our 1st two goal defeat. I agree with the chairman. We have a run of games in November and December against the teams around us and we will climb to mid table obscurity by Christmas

Being hard to beat at least gives us a platform from which to grow. It's obvious where the issues are, but we're well ahead of where we were this time last year.

Only issue is the lack of a Dundee, and the assumption that the Embra clubs will do some sacking very soon and therefore improve.

9 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

This was our heaviest defeat of the season so far. Our 1st two goal defeat. I agree with the chairman. We have a run of games in November and December against the teams around us and we will climb to mid table obscurity by Christmas

Actually M-well also beat us 2-0, but I agree with the rest of your post I think we'll start climbing the table very soon..

1 minute ago, Hammerheid said:

Actually M-well also beat us 2-0, but I agree with the rest of your post I think we'll start climbing the table very soon..

I can't see where the hope comes from. We've played everyone once. We had a shot shy League Cup campaign, and despite the addition of what should be some really creative players we're still not making chances and the few we do create we aren't putting them in the net. The victory over Aberdeen has been the only game that was even remotely memorable. 

I agree that defensively we look better organised and reasonably frugal but two wins from 11 and bottom of the league really shouldn't be something that makes the Chairman happy. 

10 hours ago, Malky3 said:

I can't see where the hope comes from. We've played everyone once. We had a shot shy League Cup campaign, and despite the addition of what should be some really creative players we're still not making chances and the few we do create we aren't putting them in the net. The victory over Aberdeen has been the only game that was even remotely memorable. 

I agree that defensively we look better organised and reasonably frugal but two wins from 11 and bottom of the league really shouldn't be something that makes the Chairman happy. 

TBH, I'm not exactly delighted but not as worried as last season at same time. We're a lot more solid and competitive which will always see us take points. Yes we've missed goals and our away form has been awful-but I'd prefer us to be hard to beat than last seasons soft as shite team.