The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

34 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Jack Ross was out of his depth. I remember a small number of people on BAWA getting a lot of abuse for saying that when he moved. Fact is that was always the truth. 

At Sunderland Ross chose to rebuild completely instead of bringing in some quality to suppliment some excellent youth talent at the club. He failed to convince Josh Maja to stay and when he left Ross spent a fair bit of money trying, and failing, to find anyone as clinical. Even the £1m flop Will Grigg has been catastrophic under Ross. 

To add to that the defence at Sunderland has been leaking like a Tory cabinet. 

I suspect Ross's career in England is finished now. If Hibs were to go after him after Heckingbottom Hibs journey back to the Championship would be almost complete. 

One thing is absolutely certain though, when Sunderland look for their next manager they won't be asking many St Mirren fans for their opinions. Some of the gushing nonsense written about Ross showed up how clueless the likes of Div and his mates actually are. 

I dont where to start with this,

-I dont think Maja choosing Bordeaux over a league 1 team can be seen as a failure on Jack Ross. Everyone would choose Bordeaux

- Hes only 43 and McInnes was arguably worse down South yet still had Sunderland calling when he came back up after restoring his reputation up here. So to say his career in England has sailed already isn’t true.

-Saying Ross could take Hibs down is frankly ridiculous.  

I do agree he was probably out his depth but theres still plenty of time for him to learn from it and become a success. The Quick turnaround at St.Mirren he did will almost guarantee him an approach from 10 out of the 12 clubs in our top level should any of them bin their manager soon.

Edited by gannonball

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I dont where to start with this,

-I dont think Maja choosing Bordeaux over a league 1 team can be seen as a failure on Jack Ross. Everyone would choose Bordeaux

- Hes only 43 and McInnes was arguably worse down South yet still had Sunderland calling when he came back up after restoring his reputation up here. So to say his career in England has sailed already isn’t true.

-Saying Ross could take Hibs down is frankly ridiculous.  

I do agree he was probably out his depth but theres still plenty time for him to learn from and become a success. The Quick turnaround at St.Mirren he did will almost guarantee him an approach from 10 out of the 12 clubs in our top level should any of them bin their manager soon.

Maja was under contract. He'd seen what happed to Asoro and at one point he was close to signing a new deal. Ross thought he could get better. He has since spent plenty and failed to replace him. 

Still a bit ridiculous. Only lost two of their last 14 including pumping 2 premier league teams in the cup. Could have gone a totally different way if playoff and final results had been different but such is the nature of football. I definitely don't think he's harmed his reputation at all. They had successive relegations and he was a bawhair away from getting them promoted at the first attempt. He also had a ridiculous squad situation to sort out when he arrived with a huge squad of players on premier league wages and a good number of them awol or on strike. All things considered, I think he did a decent job and I'm sure he's made a good few pennies as well.

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

Jack Ross was out of his depth. I remember a small number of people on BAWA getting a lot of abuse for saying that when he moved. Fact is that was always the truth. 

At Sunderland Ross chose to rebuild completely instead of bringing in some quality to suppliment some excellent youth talent at the club. He failed to convince Josh Maja to stay and when he left Ross spent a fair bit of money trying, and failing, to find anyone as clinical. Even the £1m flop Will Grigg has been catastrophic under Ross. 

To add to that the defence at Sunderland has been leaking like a Tory cabinet. 

I suspect Ross's career in England is finished now. If Hibs were to go after him after Heckingbottom Hibs journey back to the Championship would be almost complete. 

One thing is absolutely certain though, when Sunderland look for their next manager they won't be asking many St Mirren fans for their opinions. Some of the gushing nonsense written about Ross showed up how clueless the likes of Div and his mates actually are. 

Are you that WUM Lord Pity me from Black & White army ? Because this is exactly the type of shite he spouts on that site.

30 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Maja was under contract. He'd seen what happed to Asoro and at one point he was close to signing a new deal. Ross thought he could get better. He has since spent plenty and failed to replace him. 

Josh Maja rejected a new contract because his agent let him know Bordeaux were interested.

Theres a lot you can pin on Jack Ross for what went wrong at Sunderland, but focusing on him losing a young striker 6 months after he broke through to a major French side is just bizarre. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Success in English Football is an all or nothing. Ross did ok, but ok is not good enough. Came withiin 90 minutes of going up last season. And sitting in play places now. Sunderland clearly have big expectations. 

The real measure of Ross's success or otherwise will be by comparison with his successor. If who ever takes his place leads them up, then Ross will be seen as a failure if not then Ross will be seen as having done a decent job and sacked unluckily. Not that he'll be caring as he laughs all the way to the bank.

Next stop for Jack. Dundee. Almost certain.

12 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Success in English Football is an all or nothing. Ross did ok, but ok is not good enough. Came withiin 90 minutes of going up last season. And sitting in play places now. Sunderland clearly have big expectations. 

The real measure of Ross's success or otherwise will be by comparison with his successor. If who ever takes his place leads them up, then Ross will be seen as a failure if not then Ross will be seen as having done a decent job and sacked unluckily. Not that he'll be caring as he laughs all the way to the bank.

Next stop for Jack. Dundee. Almost certain.

Not far wrong in my opinion. One thing he will be is a success might take one or two moves the man has a good career ahead of him. If he had only stayed one more season with us . I'm sure career wise he would admit the same. He has a bucket full of cash and a learning curve. Ross will be back. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Not far wrong in my opinion. One thing he will be is a success might take one or two moves the man has a good career ahead of him. If he had only stayed one more season with us . I'm sure career wise he would admit the same. He has a bucket full of cash and a learning curve. Ross will be back. 

Don't quite agree. I think promotion came too soon for Jack. He then had to think about how to keep us up in the Premiership. I think he would have done that, but it would have been a struggle, and finishing 11th and surviving in a play off wasn't going to make him any hotter with english team.

Plenty of people were saying don't touch with a bargepole about Sunderland which is why Jack got a chance which might never have came again. I think he did 100% the right thing. I'm sure he learned a great deal and made a whole load of useful contacts for his next gig.

For us not such a great thing. Stubbs was a disaster and OK put a bit fignt in the team but not much subtlty and never really build much for this season.

It is interesting the number of knockback Sunderland got before settling for Jack. I wonder how many they will get now.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

The Quick turnaround at St.Mirren he did will almost guarantee him an approach from 10 out of the 12 clubs in our top level should any of them bin their manager soon.

I think your grossly underestimating the ambition of some of these clubs...... thanks but no thanks.

29 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Don't quite agree. I think promotion came too soon for Jack. He then had to think about how to keep us up in the Premiership. I think he would have done that, but it would have been a struggle, and finishing 11th and surviving in a play off wasn't going to make him any hotter with english team.

Plenty of people were saying don't touch with a bargepole about Sunderland which is why Jack got a chance which might never have came again. I think he did 100% the right thing. I'm sure he learned a great deal and made a whole load of useful contacts for his next gig.

For us not such a great thing. Stubbs was a disaster and OK put a bit fignt in the team but not much subtlty and never really build much for this season.

It is interesting the number of knockback Sunderland got before settling for Jack. I wonder how many they will get now.

I'm actually disappointed we let Oran go for me it was a huge mistake.  What is done is done back Goodwin 100%. 

14 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I'm actually disappointed we let Oran go for me it was a huge mistake.  What is done is done back Goodwin 100%. 

You said Oran walked because of our financial position.

3 hours ago, christinanade said:

Still a bit ridiculous. Only lost two of their last 14 including pumping 2 premier league teams in the cup. Could have gone a totally different way if playoff and final results had been different but such is the nature of football. I definitely don't think he's harmed his reputation at all. They had successive relegations and he was a bawhair away from getting them promoted at the first attempt. He also had a ridiculous squad situation to sort out when he arrived with a huge squad of players on premier league wages and a good number of them awol or on strike. All things considered, I think he did a decent job and I'm sure he's made a good few pennies as well.

No way. Sunderland had three times the wage budget of their closest league rivals and Ross couldn't win matches. He would have been sacked in the summer at any other club but Stewart Donald was courting new owners. 

18 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

No way. Sunderland had three times the wage budget of their closest league rivals and Ross couldn't win matches. He would have been sacked in the summer at any other club but Stewart Donald was courting new owners. 

If that's true then most of that budget would have been already spent on players that took the team down the season before. A bit like Dundee United's wage bill is higner than anyone else in the Championship. That's not a bonus, that's a millstone round their neck.

26 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

If that's true then most of that budget would have been already spent on players that took the team down the season before. A bit like Dundee United's wage bill is higner than anyone else in the Championship. That's not a bonus, that's a millstone round their neck.

Aye OK. 

Like most managers in the English League One wouldn't want a squad of internationalists. Honestly the apologists are ridiculous. Jack Ross was way oit his depth at a club that was far too big for him. His signings were dreadful and his tactical approach to matches was either naive or stupidly poor. He didn't know how to get the best out of McGeady and kept chopping and changing his midfield. He spent seven figures on a striker that can't score and let a striker that could have got him promotion leave. And he managed to kill the enthusiasm of a resurgent support desperate for a fresh start under a new owner. 

Ross was a dreadful Sunderland manager who will never get another job in England. It would be better if you just admitted you were wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Aye OK. 

Like most managers in the English League One wouldn't want a squad of internationalists. Honestly the apologists are ridiculous. Jack Ross was way oit his depth at a club that was far too big for him. His signings were dreadful and his tactical approach to matches was either naive or stupidly poor. He didn't know how to get the best out of McGeady and kept chopping and changing his midfield. He spent seven figures on a striker that can't score and let a striker that could have got him promotion leave. And he managed to kill the enthusiasm of a resurgent support desperate for a fresh start under a new owner. 

Ross was a dreadful Sunderland manager who will never get another job in England. It would be better if you just admitted you were wrong. 

Stuart D you never left ? Cant say anything of Ross and Sunderland.  Clearly the man has talent my personal view of course as is yours of course. 

11 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Stuart D you never left ? Cant say anything of Ross and Sunderland.  Clearly the man has talent my personal view of course as is yours of course. 

Sorry to disappoint but Im not Stuart D or Lawstud as he used to be known.