The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Spot on. In January we might see a couple of players going out and coming in but it'll be nothing like having to move on a dozen players to make way for half a new team.

I still reckon there's a good chance we can start getting goals. There are no stand out goal scorers but Mullen is capable of bagging a few, Magennis, McAllister are bound to chip in with some. Possibly Cooke too when he's fit again. I'm still hopeful that Morais and Obika can find their shooting boots.

Mullen, Cook , Obika should be our first choice.  Morais cant play the lone striker I wish Jim would be a wee bit ambitious playing two up front. 

I’ll judge the strikers when they get some service. High balls to Junior, poor crosses into the box that any decent central defender loves etc.

The team are not giving the strikers anything to work with, we are hard to beat and hold really good shape but until we start creating chances for the strikers we will remain St Mirren nil.............that is not something we can blame the strikers for.

13 hours ago, Torfason said:

I’ll judge the strikers when they get some service. High balls to Junior, poor crosses into the box that any decent central defender loves etc.

The team are not giving the strikers anything to work with, we are hard to beat and hold really good shape but until we start creating chances for the strikers we will remain St Mirren nil.............that is not something we can blame the strikers for.

Junior was one on one heading for goal all he did was run into the Hearts defender though he recovered to get the ball to the winger. Noticed today's paper gave our forwards a score of 5 Flynn also got a 5 the lowest of our team. So a neutral agrees Flynn was poor on Saturday. There has to be coaching this week on attacking.  Stats no shoots on target against Hearts. 

Seems odd to me that McGinn isn't featuring for the reserves today. Surely he needs to get some match fitness after going so long without games. Not an attempt to suggest there's some sort of rift BTW - I don't understand why guys like Mullen who do get on the pitch aren't given a shot in the reserves in a bid to show what they can do.

And my final reserve related point - is Cammy MacPherson injured? Not on the bench on Saturday and not in the reserve team today.

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Seems odd to me that McGinn isn't featuring for the reserves today. Surely he needs to get some match fitness after going so long without games. Not an attempt to suggest there's some sort of rift BTW - I don't understand why guys like Mullen who do get on the pitch aren't given a shot in the reserves in a bid to show what they can do.

And my final reserve related point - is Cammy MacPherson injured? Not on the bench on Saturday and not in the reserve team today.

Think there have been a few bounce games of late.

Edited by FTOF

3 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Junior was one on one heading for goal all he did was run into the Hearts defender though he recovered to get the ball to the winger. Noticed today's paper gave our forwards a score of 5 Flynn also got a 5 the lowest of our team. So a neutral agrees Flynn was poor on Saturday. There has to be coaching this week on attacking.  Stats no shoots on target against Hearts. 

Paisley Daily Express awarded him man of the match.

43 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Imagine a St Mirren supporter being critical of his team. Whatever next. 

The point I was making is that it’s still very early in his career with us to making judgements. We didn’t play to his strengths and we don’t create enough, not all down to him.

Plenty of people jumping on his back at the game too. Be critical of the team, just avoid being critical of individuals who’ve only made two starts. Look how big Cody progressed last season, for example.

32 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

The point I was making is that it’s still very early in his career with us to making judgements. We didn’t play to his strengths and we don’t create enough, not all down to him.

Plenty of people jumping on his back at the game too. Be critical of the team, just avoid being critical of individuals who’ve only made two starts. Look how big Cody progressed last season, for example.

I'm sure I wrote coaching on attacking needs to be worked on. Funnily enough Waters on buddie vision agrees with me saying the same thing. Nearly every one including Stevie Thompson agree Mullen should start next week. Junior needs to work on his mojo. Have seen nothing yet to suggest he will be a hit.  But you have your opinion Junior should start next week I disagree.  

I don't understand the sudden rush to see Mullen and Cooke in the starting line up. We started with that pairing at Albion Rovers and we never looked like scoring. Cooke started against Edinburgh City in a game where we needed a late penalty to win - the strike force that day was useless. And Mullen started against East Kilbride and was joined by Cooke in the 70th minute and neither of them looked capable of scoring then either. 

Obika and Morais were heralded in as the quality signings needed to set the team up for a good season and a few matches later they are being written off for a couple of duds who couldn't score against non league opposition. 

Give Obika and Morais the right kind of supply and the goals will come - playing as we are at the moment Ronaldo and Messi would struggle to score goals. 

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

I'm sure I wrote coaching on attacking needs to be worked on. Funnily enough Waters on buddie vision agrees with me saying the same thing. Nearly every one including Stevie Thompson agree Mullen should start next week. Junior needs to work on his mojo. Have seen nothing yet to suggest he will be a hit.  But you have your opinion Junior should start next week I disagree.  

You said “I can’t believe how bad Junior is” and something about being a striker in name only.

Honestly, I’d go with Obika at the moment. There’s something there with him and think it’s just taking a bit of time...people have forgotten he’d been out for 10 months before signing for us.

I like Mullen, but his career so far doesn’t point towards him being the answer. Not as a lone striker anyway. Has even hit double figures for us in his (nearly) two years?

Edited by aldo_j

18 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I don't understand the sudden rush to see Mullen and Cooke in the starting line up. We started with that pairing at Albion Rovers and we never looked like scoring. Cooke started against Edinburgh City in a game where we needed a late penalty to win - the strike force that day was useless. And Mullen started against East Kilbride and was joined by Cooke in the 70th minute and neither of them looked capable of scoring then either. 

Obika and Morais were heralded in as the quality signings needed to set the team up for a good season and a few matches later they are being written off for a couple of duds who couldn't score against non league opposition. 

Give Obika and Morais the right kind of supply and the goals will come - playing as we are at the moment Ronaldo and Messi would struggle to score goals. 

There was a few times against Hearts lose balls in their penalty box were not pounced on as none of our players were hovering just outside the box. I spoke about it to the guy who sits next to me. Stephen Thompson also brought it up in Sportscene.  We need more bodies forward from midfield. 

2 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

You said “I can’t believe how bad Junior is” and something about being a striker in name only.

Honestly, I’d go with Obika at the moment. There’s something there with him and think it’s just taking a bit of time...people have forgotten he’d been out for 10 months before signing for us.

I agree on Obika he has something.  Junior on his own does not work . With two striker role he could I hope. 

I don't think any of the strikers up there on their own is going to work. Tactics is the issue not striking personnel. I actually think the big issue is trying to find a place for andreu. He can only really play attacking mid I would assume, so if he starts games, then it almost forces us to play with just one up front. Not that andreu is a bad player but I don't think he has been particularly effective supporting the lone striker. I think we may look a better team with 2 holding  centre mids, durmus and mcallister on the wing, and 2 up front.

Relegation Express in full throttle goals are not even coming close.
For some reason it's our way.

Yesterday there were. 2 cleared off the line, aside from scoring you don’t get much closer than that. First half performance was a shambles and that was front, middle & back with the exception of Hladky. Second half we created quite a few opportunities and looked an attacking threat. The Motherwell keeper made quite a few saves - more than we can say for previous weeks.
I don’t think there is a need to be doom & gloom this early. Durmus can put in a quality cross we just need our strikers to be in the right area. Magennis has been our standout performer this season. I think when Andreu came on yesterday he showed what he can do, I would persevere with him in behind a striker we definitely missed him first half. Obika one minute was beating Gallagher in the air then the next minute putting the ball out for a shy under no pressure, he’s an enigma. Morias, I’m not sure about if anything he wasn’t greedy enough yesterday. Mullen is our best attacking option.
We are solid enough in defence most weeks, granted yesterday that wasn’t the case. I think we will come good we have a decent squad, we just need a settled formation & Mullen/Andreu up front is the way. I like Magennis out wide as he has more room to run into, when he broke into the team under Jack Ross he was brilliant on the right. This team is a far cry from where we were this time last year - no need to panic.

4 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Yesterday there were. 2 cleared off the line, aside from scoring you don’t get much closer than that. First half performance was a shambles and that was front, middle & back with the exception of Hladky. Second half we created quite a few opportunities and looked an attacking threat. The Motherwell keeper made quite a few saves - more than we can say for previous weeks.
I don’t think there is a need to be doom & gloom this early. Durmus can put in a quality cross we just need our strikers to be in the right area. Magennis has been our standout performer this season. I think when Andreu came on yesterday he showed what he can do, I would persevere with him in behind a striker we definitely missed him first half. Obika one minute was beating Gallagher in the air then the next minute putting the ball out for a shy under no pressure, he’s an enigma. Morias, I’m not sure about if anything he wasn’t greedy enough yesterday. Mullen is our best attacking option.
We are solid enough in defence most weeks, granted yesterday that wasn’t the case. I think we will come good we have a decent squad, we just need a settled formation & Mullen/Andreu up front is the way. I like Magennis out wide as he has more room to run into, when he broke into the team under Jack Ross he was brilliant on the right. This team is a far cry from where we were this time last year - no need to panic.

Don't really agree with a lot of that to be honest apart from the need for a settled formation. We just seem unbalanced and lopsided. Magennis is wasted playing wide. The two new strikers remain unknown quantities so far but I really don't understand why people are desperate for mullen to play. He scores the odd cracker but is generally completely ineffective 90% of the time and just throws himself to the ground under any sort of challenge. I didn't make it to the game yesterday but the half time radio report said he had offered absolutely nothing offensively and was essentially playing as a midfielder so it seems we were only playing two up front on paper. If mullen/andreu is the way forward, I think it's time to start preparing for life in the championship 🤣