The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Was it an old Digger? The last time Saints played them away was almost 5 months ago.

Why were you reading it anyway, seeing if you were in it?

Think it was the boys just getting their verdict from court.

What exactly are we doing in training, playing fecking pool is my guess because it certainly isn’t finishing?

That is not good enough against 10 men, I get Accies are hard to beat but we had plenty of chances and never looked like taking any of them.

47 minutes ago, Torfason said:

What exactly are we doing in training, playing fecking pool is my guess because it certainly isn’t finishing?

That is not good enough against 10 men, I get Accies are hard to beat but we had plenty of chances and never looked like taking any of them.

Today proved we will again be in a relegation battle.  No one looks like an out and out striker . 

It was poor, poor stuff today. I know it's Hamilton and that you seldom get entertainment when Hamilton are involved, but St Mirren showed a complete lack of urgency all game long. What is the point of those stupid short corners? It doesn't look like there has been a practised routine or any clever organised in there so why do it? They couldn't even claim it changed the angle of the cross cause 9 times out of 10 the cross never came in. It was a complete waste of an opportunity. When we did finally stick the ball in the middle we got our two shots on target - the header that was saved by the keeper, and the follow up with the goal bound shot was cleared by Obika. 

There were no quick free kicks, instead our players seemed more happy to waste time debating incidents and decisions with the referee than getting the ball into the box and firing shots at their keeper. And I'm utterly bored watching Danny Mullen desperately throwing himself to the floor and playing the dying swan role that he does every time he plays. 

I'm surprised at how poor we've gotten under Jim. I thought he was a winner, but there weren't many of that squad today that seemed to have the desire to make winning happen. 

3 hours ago, Malky3 said:

It was poor, poor stuff today. I know it's Hamilton and that you seldom get entertainment when Hamilton are involved, but St Mirren showed a complete lack of urgency all game long. What is the point of those stupid short corners? It doesn't look like there has been a practised routine or any clever organised in there so why do it? They couldn't even claim it changed the angle of the cross cause 9 times out of 10 the cross never came in. It was a complete waste of an opportunity. When we did finally stick the ball in the middle we got our two shots on target - the header that was saved by the keeper, and the follow up with the goal bound shot was cleared by Obika. 

There were no quick free kicks, instead our players seemed more happy to waste time debating incidents and decisions with the referee than getting the ball into the box and firing shots at their keeper. And I'm utterly bored watching Danny Mullen desperately throwing himself to the floor and playing the dying swan role that he does every time he plays. 

I'm surprised at how poor we've gotten under Jim. I thought he was a winner, but there weren't many of that squad today that seemed to have the desire to make winning happen. 

I would not fire bullets Goodwin's way just yet. There is only one problem in the team that being strikers. Goodwin should get some closed door games to get the striker/ partnership right. Unfortunately I feel this will be our let down. 

4 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

I would not fire bullets Goodwin's way just yet. There is only one problem in the team that being strikers. Goodwin should get some closed door games to get the striker/ partnership right. Unfortunately I feel this will be our let down. 

That isn't the only problem. 

Look at the performance against Hamilton. They were down to 10 men, Jim Goodwin claims he was frustrated by the amount of time Hamilton wasted, yet when the ball was in play and Hamilton were in possession St Mirren weren't doing a high press. Instead they retreated back to the edge of their own box and let Hamilton have as much of the ball as they wanted. There was no urgency at all in the St Mirren play. When they did get the ball either there was a slow constructed build up or they shelled the ball forward to Morais or Obika who were left to attempt to outrun three or four Accies defenders without any support from any of their team mates. 

The short corners were bizarre. Players lined up in the penalty box waiting on the ball coming in, presumably all ready to hit their mark, and instead a short ball gets played and the ball never comes in to the box. Whose idea is that rubbish? 

On 19/09/2019 at 13:33, Dindeleux said:

Reading the digger in work today and I see that the W7 group (never heard of them) were involved in a bit of trouble up at Motherwell.

I’ve never noticed any trouble against St Mirren before nor have I heard of the W7.  It’s clear they are just young guys but I was wondering if this seemed to be a one off incident or are these guys causing trouble for the club generally?

Getting a reddy for reading the Digger

Difference is this season we are going to be terribly hard to  beat. 

Last season we would have lost both those home games, this year we got 2pts out of 6.

Long hard season ahead definitely, but I dont think we're going to have one of those crazy January windows this year. 

41 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

After the Aberdeen game everyone was hopeful this was going to be a decent season which lasted for weeks. 7 games in it's clear to see this will be a squeaky bum season. Cant believe how bad junior is he is a striker in name only. 

Boo boy already. The boy only has two starts to his name, and people giving him pelters.

He didn’t have the best game, but I don’t think we played to his strengths. We constantly tried to give him the ball with his back to goal and I don’t think that’s his game.

Last season we would have lost both those home games, this year we got 2pts out of 6.
Long hard season ahead definitely, but I dont think we're going to have one of those crazy January windows this year. 
Spot on. In January we might see a couple of players going out and coming in but it'll be nothing like having to move on a dozen players to make way for half a new team.

I still reckon there's a good chance we can start getting goals. There are no stand out goal scorers but Mullen is capable of bagging a few, Magennis, McAllister are bound to chip in with some. Possibly Cooke too when he's fit again. I'm still hopeful that Morais and Obika can find their shooting boots.

13 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Boo boy already. The boy only has two starts to his name, and people giving him pelters.

He didn’t have the best game, but I don’t think we played to his strengths. We constantly tried to give him the ball with his back to goal and I don’t think that’s his game.

Never booed the team in my entire life. We have some decent players but we also have a few not so good. The balance is not yet right. 7 games in how many goals have our strikers scored.  Defence is good. Midfielders mostly good. Strikers is a problem dont score goals your going to be in trouble.  We always have been a yoyo club that unfortunately will not change. Yet look at the success of Motherwell, St Johnstone staying in top flight football if only we could emulate them. We live and hope. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

29 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Last season you beat Hearts at home and 10-man Accies.