The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

What it says is that if we get two injured/suspended CBs, then the manager will be at least as comfortable using (Paul) McGinn as a makeshift or else using (Nick) McAllister or McBrearty than using Baird. As such, Baird needs to go out on loan and show JG what he can (or can't) do. 

52 minutes ago, AllyM said:

What it says is that if we get two injured/suspended CBs, then the manager will be at least as comfortable using (Paul) McGinn as a makeshift or else using (Nick) McAllister or McBrearty than using Baird. As such, Baird needs to go out on loan and show JG what he can (or can't) do. 

Baird has 129 appearances for St Mirren that say's a lot. I'm sure its Baird who wants first team football Morton is ideal. He still has a St Mirren future. 

51 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The fact that he’s just been loaned out suggests that Jim Goodwin doesn’t think he does

You could be right certainly he must be down the pecking order so wants first team football.  A 6 month loan is short term that's why I think he still has a future with us time will tell i suppose.  

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The fact that he’s just been loaned out suggests that Jim Goodwin doesn’t think he does

I think as of right now, that's a fair assumption. I think there's still a chance for him to forge a future with us, but it may depend on how he handles the rest of this season. It may also depend on which league we're shaping up to be in by around January time. If we're in trouble, then you could imagine Baird coming back into the fold for another season in the Championship.

I dont think you can anymore. Recall clauses are only active during transfer periods.

They can be cancelled at anytime if both clubs agree however I don’t think many if any clubs will agree to sign a player on loan then be open to him returning if he’s doing well and then they can’t replace him till January.

How could he play if recalled ? He can't be reregistered outwith the transfer window thus rendering a recall pointless

They can be cancelled at anytime if both clubs agree however I don’t think many if any clubs will agree to sign a player on loan then be open to him returning if he’s doing well and then they can’t replace him till January.

1 hour ago, buddies1877 said:

I dont think they can, officially. Players can "leave" their loan club and return to train at their parent club, but they're still registered at the loan club until the next window.

Delighted to get Broadfoot back. An experienced defensive utility man who played a lot of minutes for the team who finished 3rd last season.

Just what we need. Not sure he will start every week but a great addition to the squad nonetheless.

Gordon Scott saying today that we have gone over budget - a clear sign that there is a £2 million hole in our accounts and we are struggling for cash.

In all seriousness, I'd question why we've gone over budget. We're not in trouble and with the possible exception of McAllister there's not really anyone in the squad it was worth pushing the boat out for.