The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Put to one side that it's Morton and it's a good move for all involved I'd say.

I think Baird was unlucky not to start against Hibs. McLoughlin was (to me at least) a bit of an unknown quantity. Can't fault McLoughlin he's been excellent, but if Baird had started he might have played well and kept his spot.

Baird will be one of the best defenders in that division. Fast, strong, good in the air. I imagine he'll walk straight into Morton's starting 11.

I noticed Dundee Utd are still playing that clown Connolly. They could've done worse than bring Baird in.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Put to one side that it's Morton and it's a good move for all involved I'd say.

I think Baird was unlucky not to start against Hibs. McLoughlin was (to me at least) a bit of an unknown quantity. Can't fault McLoughlin he's been excellent, but if Baird had started he might have played well and kept his spot.

Baird will be one of the best defenders in that division. Fast, strong, good in the air. I imagine he'll walk straight into Morton's starting 11.

I noticed Dundee Utd are still playing that clown Connolly. They could've done worse than bring Baird in.

Baird is far superior to Connolly, he'd have stoated into United's first XI.

If I ever need cheering up, I just think about Connolly in those playoff games. Rattled barely even began to cover it.
He looked absolutely done. I was shocked when I checked his age during the second leg and discovered he was still in his twenties!

Is the outrage at Baird going on loan because we should have kept him or because he's gone to Morton? Not that fussed about where he's gone myself, just a wee bit worried that his departure leaves us back to square one on numbers at the back.

Also surprised we don't appear to have found clubs to loan guys like Erhahon or MacPherson to as I can't see them playing a great deal of first team football for us.

Good move don’t give a shit if it’s Morton he’s away on loan to worked out well for Naismith when he went on loan to them and came back a better player for it.

Is the correct call from goody would be struggling to make the bench at times when broadfoot comes in.

Good move for Baird, he's not good enough to be near starting in the top flight, but is fairly solid on his day in the Championship, and it's definitely better for his career to be playing regularly.

You'd imagine we'd be able to recall him if/when Gary MacKenzie picks up a knock.

1 minute ago, gc_smfc said:

Good move for Baird, he's not good enough to be near starting in the top flight, but is fairly solid on his day in the Championship, and it's definitely better for his career to be playing regularly.

You'd imagine we'd be able to recall him if/when Gary MacKenzie picks up a knock.

You can't recall him outwith transfer windows.

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Baird out on loan is scandalous, unless he requested it himself in order to get games.

As you can probably guess, with my surname, a headline reading  ‘Baird in Morton switch’ has me twitchy. Maybe I should join a Morton fan forum, and ruin it too. You fancy coming along and we can drag it into the gutter? Been a while since our double act totally fcuked up an otherwise perfectly serviceable forum. 😛

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

No stay...........if we don't sign Kirky tomorrow we'll need someone to blame Poz.

OK, I’ll stay.... (forum groans).... the Baird move is a puzzling one, but we’ll just need to trust Jim on this. Morton fans are getting a player who will do them a turn. No jokes from me about ‘at their level’. Jack Baird will be a good signing for them. Hope it works out for player and club. I am happy to openly admit I like Morton, wish they could get their shit together and join us in the top flight.

Pretty obvious why Baird has went out on loan.

He isn't guaranteed game time, he can return match fit in January if McLaughlin goes back to Hull.

Different scenario to Naismith though which is why some folk are puzzled. Jack has been in our first team since when, 2014? Where as Jason hadn't broke into our first team yet, so much so that the Ton fans didn't rate his chances when he started games for us.

8 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

They can if both clubs agreed it loan deals can be cancelled at anytime.

I dont think you can anymore. Recall clauses are only active during transfer periods.

You technically can still recall a player from a loan, but all you achieve is stopping them playing for the club you sent them to - they can’t be registered to play for their parent club again until the next transfer window. Consider MacKenzie’s injury history it is a bit surprising you’d go with only three centre backs until January.

19 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Consider MacKenzie’s injury history it is a bit surprising you’d go with only three centre backs until January.

Agree with that, though MacKenzie seems to be making noises about those injury issues being behind him and that he's now fallen in love with the game again.

That tallies with rumours that were going round that his issues weren't entirely physical*, and that, for a while, he might not kick a ball again for anyone. Mind he played with an undetected concussion in that game when you horsed us 4-1 at Cappielow... that was the August and he didn't play again until December. He can't remember any part of the Cappielow game. 😲

He eventually played 18 games that season, then got bombed out by Stubbs in the close season, which coincided with achilles surgery. I think that knocked him back significantly and he then didn't feature again until the relegation run-in. He was truly immense against Dundee United.

image.png.24cf025c04141f935b3b523c02a8d04c.png

So while it appears he has a horrendous record, I think he's the sort of player for whom mental wellbeing plays a huge role and, hopefully, he's in a good place now.

* I'm not making light of that there, just for the record; I've personally suffered from depression and anxiety, and it's fucking horrendous.