The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I haven’t a clue what the dynamic between GLS, Fitzy, Goody and Gus is (sounds like a boy band to rival Scary, Posh, Sporty & Ginger), and only having seen them briefly, I also really don’t know the quality of the new signings. Here’s why I’m encouraged though. Jim stated when he came in that knowing the club, he knew it needed stability, and to build something with signed-on players, less reliance on the loanee drug.... and having talked the talk, the guys running our club are already delivering on that ‘vision’. Exciting time ahead, time to back the club to the hilt. They’ve rolled the dice, COYS.

Not like you to exaggerate C'apn...:rolleyes:
I maintain my opinion that JGs arrival resulted in a change in signing policy and that there was no masterplan...

The idea that it was within Gus’ remit to go out and sign players with there being no manager in charge is one that you’ve entirely made up!

5 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The idea that it was within Gus’ remit to go out and sign players with there being no manager in charge is one that you’ve entirely made up!

I think if he could have made a deal with Popescu then the board would have sanctioned it. Possibly if they McAllister deal was ready earlier they might have sanctioned that too. But he couldn't and it wasn't. 

It’s clear that some of our fans just won’t cut Gus any slack whatsoever. For anyone to suggest that he had no input with all the recent signings is utterly laughable. He had players already sourced for Oran but It all changed when JG was appointed, as you would expect it to, with JG looking for his own players. Well done Gus Tony and GLS you’ve done a good job with recruitment. 

BTB’s hatred of Gus goes back to around 2005 on black and white army. He’s been remarkably consistent for so long, can’t expect him to change now!

The reality is that since Gus arrived we’ve had one fantastic window in January with the arrival of Hladky and Popescu etc. This window already looks like another success and I don’t think we are done yet.

He was brought in to improve recruitment and recruitment has clearly improved. Therefore he’s been a success up to this point and he deserves credit.

23 minutes ago, Lex said:

BTB’s hatred of Gus goes back to around 2005 on black and white army. He’s been remarkably consistent for so long, can’t expect him to change now!

The reality is that since Gus arrived we’ve had one fantastic window in January with the arrival of Hladky and Popescu etc. This window already looks like another success and I don’t think we are done yet.

He was brought in to improve recruitment and recruitment has clearly improved. Therefore he’s been a success up to this point and he deserves credit.

100% this.

Anyone still complaining at this point will never be happy so might as well give up.

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

100% this.

Anyone still complaining at this point will never be happy so might as well give up.

You’ve got this all wrong. To be a St Mirren fan, you must never be happy, you complain, but you don’t give up, you keep going. Week after week, season after season. Haven’t you read the instruction book or looked at the small print? Here’s basically how it works. I will give two examples, one pre-internet, one post.....

Watch game - unhappy - complain to mates in pub after game - watch game - unhappy about something - watch game.

Watch game - unhappy - send angry text to mates before the 90 mins are even over - watch game - moan on a forum.

Just now, pozbaird said:

You’ve got this all wrong. To be a St Mirren fan, you must never be happy, you complain, but you don’t give up, you keep going. Week after week, season after season. Haven’t you read the instruction book or looked at the small print? Here’s basically how it works. I will give two examples, one pre-internet, one post.....

Watch game - unhappy - complain to mates in pub after game - watch game - unhappy about something - watch game.

Watch game - unhappy - send angry text to mates before the 90 mins are even over - watch game - moan on a forum.

You should write a book Poz. All clubs supporters are no diffrent though I find Div  very balanced half full glass guy. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Based on many of the most persistent moaners on here (and B&WA) I think you have overused "watch game" in your comments.

18 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Nope, the remit was described on the BBC website that I have referred to, frequently. :rolleyes:

All managers come into a rump of existing players, GMs role was to provide continuity in recruitment in the event of this summer's managerial change - IMO he failed. 

Edited by btb

Nope, the remit was described on the BBC website that I have referred to, frequently. default_rolleyes.gif All managers come into a rump of existing players, GMs role was to provide continuity in recruitment in the event of this summer's managerial change - IMO he failed. 

“GMs Rome was to provide continuity in recruitment in the event of this summer’s managerial change” is not described anywhere on the BBC website that you have referred to frequently.

But in any case, I do actually think that recruitment is part of his role. And also to provide continuity in recruitment.

But that continuity should only go as far as scouting players! It certainly shouldn’t be to sign players!

Just because we didn’t actually sign anyone, do you really think that Gus wasn’t actively looking for players?

As an example, Goodwin himself said that Gus had watched McLoughlin last season. This was obviously a player we were after before Goodwin arrived. And we signed him the day after he signed for Hull City. We couldn’t have signed him any earlier even if Goodwin had been here!

Is you hump that we didn’t actually sign players before Goodwin arrived? Or that we didn’t sign them in time for the League Cup?

Do you really believe that GMs role was to sign players without a manager place? Why would you even want that to happen?

We’ve signed what looks to be a load of quality players. In what has he failed?

Sounds like you both disagree. Oh well life goes on, now if we could beat the tribute team tomorrow the world will somehow seem a brighter better place. 1-0 Saints, Sevco to miss 8 penalties, with the last one being taken by the ref.

Big discussion on Gus nothing on the fact our chairman moves season ticket holders out of the family stand to accommodate more old firm fans.  Just as bad UEFA take action against Rangers for sectarian singing while the SFA ignores it. Never mind lads you will have it in full stereo today. 

Big discussion on Gus nothing on the fact our chairman moves season ticket holders out of the family stand to accommodate more old firm fans.  Just as bad UEFA take action against Rangers for sectarian singing while the SFA ignores it. Never mind lads you will have it in full stereo today. 

Totally agree with you DZ

Disgraceful decision

All Saints fans should be boycotting the Sevco game

24 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Totally agree with you DZ

Disgraceful decision

All Saints fans should be boycotting the Sevco game

I do wonder whether the board should be reflecting on whether the supposed increased income is worth pissing off the home support.

The crowd against Aberdeen was 6199, against Celtic the last time we played them 6597. Aberdeen filled the away end, Celtic and Rangers do the same, so we're doing this for an extra 398 sales, or about 9k a match? Doesn't seem worth it.

I do wonder whether the board should be reflecting on whether the supposed increased income is worth pissing off the home support.

The crowd against Aberdeen was 6199, against Celtic the last time we played them 6597. Aberdeen filled the away end, Celtic and Rangers do the same, so we're doing this for an extra 398 sales, or about 9k a match? Doesn't seem worth it.

Got to pay for all those signings somehow!

We just avoid the issue by not signing anyone.

We’ve been similarly treated in the past by being shifted for OF.

13 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

To be fair, anyone taking his kids along to the family stand for a bigot fest should have their kids taken off them The chairman is doing these guys a favor