The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I think Naismith is a better player than McGinn. No disrespect meant to him as he gives 100% and stood up last season when the going got tough, but over all Jason offers much more going forward and is a better defender too.

He might be a better player than McGinn, but McGinn is still a good Premier League right back. I'm not sure there is enough in it to justify having one of them either out of position or on the bench each week.

30 minutes ago, GAD said:

He might be a better player than McGinn, but McGinn is still a good Premier League right back. I'm not sure there is enough in it to justify having one of them either out of position or on the bench each week.

Aye, I would agree with this, and it was kind of my point (though you have put it across more effectively). 

I think we could do with a versatile defender who can cover across the back areas.  Not easy to come by, of course. Maybe someone with a bit of experience who has been used to being slotted into the different positions as required.

Out of curiousity, how often did Naismith play in a central defensive role for us, and was he ever played as a left back? I can't remember.

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Naismith hit the ground running at Ross County, but he finished his time there miles better than when he first signed.

That makes sense. He was probably still a wee bit raw when with us, though it was clear that he would develop into a very good player with the right coaching.

McGinn has surpassed my moderate expectations, to be honest. I reckon it would be very tough on him to be dropped for another player coming in at right back, but if that player proved to be better, that's fitba.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I reckon Naismith’s best position would be central defence

Long term that will be his role. At County he had Paul Quinn and Andrew Davies to learn from, two very experienced defenders who played a lot at right-back and eventually moved inside as they got older.  He’s still young enough to be a strong full-back or wing-back. 

I notice that ex-Saint Danny Lennon made his Clyde debut this week in a pumping of ra’ Sellik Colts. Let’s hope Stewart Gilmour negotiated a sell-on clause in case this latest talent from the Ralston conveyor belt of promising young footballers does a Meatball Heid’ and gets a big move to England.

Edited by pozbaird

I notice that ex-Saint Danny Lennon made his Clyde debut this week in a pumping of ra’ Sellik Colts. Let’s hope Stewart Gilmour negotiated a sell-on clause in case this latest talent from the Ralston conveyor belt of promising young footballers does a Meatball Heid’ and gets a big move to England.

The mid life crisis hairstyle looked rather fetching.

1 minute ago, jimmy boo said:
58 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The mid life crisis hairstyle looked rather fetching.

He's gone completely grey since his Saints days. Makes me wonder if he was on the just for men when he was at us.

If Naismith is at all a possibility I'd jump at having him back especially now Kyle McAllister is back. I thought the two of them together showed great promise as a partnership down the right hand side before they were both sold. 

6 hours ago, Malky3 said:

If Naismith is at all a possibility I'd jump at having him back especially now Kyle McAllister is back. I thought the two of them together showed great promise as a partnership down the right hand side before they were both sold. 

We sold both players when we were bottom of the championship and seemingly doomed to league one football and yet we still somehow managed to survive. 

That season was absolutely mental. 

8 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Some memory, as can’t think of them ever being in the same team! 

Anyway, doubt Naismith is under consideration. Wage demands, plus the fact we’ve got a competent right back means there are other priorities.

As an aside, felt McGinn was one of our main attacking outlets last season, but haven’t seen much this season. Guess it’s down to us having a better team and proper wide players ahead of him.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Where on earth did this one come from?

Nobody is ITK any more 😂

Only thing missing is a Youtube highlights compilation... he looks like a 5'6" brick shithouse, if such a thing exists. Built like a tiny tank.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Just now, fraser_smfc said:

How can we be buying players if we’re 500% skint?

Cos we're now 526% skint.

Northampton paid £200k for this lad last summer and their fans are already on our twitter feed calling their manager an arsehole for letting him leave.