The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Not for me it's not. BAWA is like a nursery playground compared to here. Bazil v BuddieInEK infact Bazil v everyone on BAWA is the absolute example of how to drive members away. 

I'm enjoying this thread though, and the recent contribution of JC. All too often on the internet a tit bit from a club source grows arms and legs and its good to see the veracity being questioned. 

I’ve got fed up with BAWA mainly because of Baz, he has almost become a parody of himself, and has very much sucked the life out of any kind of discussion. 

I guess these things go in cycles eventually he will get bored and proper discussion and debate can return. 

Sooooo...think we'll sign anyone else before Sunday or even before the window shuts?

Goody seemed quite confident at the Q&A we'd have the budget to bring in one more (although he'd prefer two) and he thinks we're a bit short up front.

50 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Sooooo...think we'll sign anyone else before Sunday or even before the window shuts?

Goody seemed quite confident at the Q&A we'd have the budget to bring in one more (although he'd prefer two) and he thinks we're a bit short up front.

I'm a lot more relaxed about the situation now based on the performances of the new players in the first two games. I'd still hope that we're still in the market for another versatile defender in the mould of Paul McGinn and possibly a striker. 

1 hour ago, jm1 said:

Most likely one more addition and possibly a late loan signing.

Ideally a striker and utility defender.

1 hour ago, RossC93 said:

I'm a lot more relaxed about the situation now based on the performances of the new players in the first two games. I'd still hope that we're still in the market for another versatile defender in the mould of Paul McGinn and possibly a striker. 

Apologies, hadn't seen your reply before posting my own inane contribution.

1 hour ago, RossC93 said:

Yeah, we will be looking for a Hodson type player for sure, it's what we are missing and would give us way more flexibility as well if we wanted to go 3 at the back or whatever. I think maybe even another CB on top of that as well and no striker...

1 minute ago, jm1 said:

Isn't Jason Naismith on the look out for a new club? Is better than Paul McGinn or Cammy Macpherson and could play centre half if required too.

Think I saw that on the Saint Johnstone thread. He would be a great signing, but in some ways he's almost too good. One of him or McGinn wouldn't be playing most weeks, and that's a lot of money on wages for a backup right back.

The first team squad on the OS is 21 strong but that includes Kellerman, an emergencies only pick and Erhahon & MacPherson who I would class as still being in the development stage. That leaves 18 players I wouldn't worry about seeing in the starting line-up so an extra 2 quality signings would take us to a core squad of 20 which I reckon most folk would say is the absolute minimum, but the new manager has made a decision to chose quality over quantity.

Like the majority of Saints fans I'd go for a versatile defender (Naismith would be ideal) and another striker.

Edited by btb

Think I saw that on the Saint Johnstone thread. He would be a great signing, but in some ways he's almost too good. One of him or McGinn wouldn't be playing most weeks, and that's a lot of money on wages for a backup right back.
I think Naismith is a better player than McGinn. No disrespect meant to him as he gives 100% and stood up last season when the going got tough, but over all Jason offers much more going forward and is a better defender too.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I think Naismith is a better player than McGinn. No disrespect meant to him as he gives 100% and stood up last season when the going got tough, but over all Jason offers much more going forward and is a better defender too.

Not sure that I agree entirely.

Jason was prone to the occasional lapse in concentration, and his positional sense could be suspect. In saying that, he has probably progressed since his time with us. Without doubt a good player at our current level, but not without his faults as I recall.

I think McGinn (P) is better than many in our support seem to believe. He would be one of my first picks every week.

23 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Jason was prone to the occasional lapse in concentration, and his positional sense could be suspect. In saying that, he has probably progressed since his time with us. Without doubt a good player at our current level, but not without his faults as I recall.

Naismith hit the ground running at Ross County, but he finished his time there miles better than when he first signed.

30 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Naismith hit the ground running at Ross County, but he finished his time there miles better than when he first signed.

If he is still at the same level he was at when he was with us, he would walk into most teams in this league imo