The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Compared to where we were a few weeks ago, this probable squad for Sunday is night and day. 

Possibly swap Mullen in for Obika and Magennis for McAllister due to sharpness on both parts. But yeah, very decent indeed.

LINEUP111565376625575.thumb.png.1028c2791d8d3cb6fb3ad152c5e3e017.png

If that entire first 11 got injured or suspended but everyone else was ok, we could still field an 11 of:

Lyness, McPherson, Baird, McAllister (N), Erhahon, McGinn, Magennis, Djorkaeff, Kellerman (or Breadner), Mullen, Cooke.

Add an experienced defender who can play anywhere across the back, and I reckon we are nearly there. When does the league cup start?

2 hours ago, RossC93 said:

I'm sure @Demented Zebra will soon announce that we will go bust shortly 😛

Never ever ever wrote that.. have watched St Mirren since 1967. Have been in every ground Saints have played in the UK. Have been to Europe 4 times to watch Saints. Have shares. Member of the fan buy out. Season ticket holder where some seasons have got to 5 home games in one season  due to work. Member of 1877. Stay in hotel's mid week games. Simply put I have an emotional tie to St Mirren. Does that mean I should not be critical of things I do not think are right. St Mirren will live on beyond me and you.  If ( IF ) Funds to the sum of 2 million has been used up on a revolving door that to me is sever miss management of the highest order. You might think that is acceptable to get rid of everyone and his dog. However if 2 million income from transfer fees had be spent wisely there would have been plenty money for  rainy day's. We are a yoyo club rainy day funds are important.  I'm glad most Saints posters have a stiffy for the signings so far. Too old for a stiffy pleased with the signings.  Unfortunately the blind cant see the bigger picture.  That's fine expect my shoes to be polished by the brown nose ones the Saints pie and bovril Saints posters most not all.  Answer one question with a simple yes or no. If St Mirren blow 2 million replacing managers and players because they are not good enough would you agree with that. Keep me right here. Gordon Scott chairman of St Mirren 3 years. 5 managers ? 60 to 70 players. Went public to the press to drag his own supporters through the gutter.  Only for opposition fans to prove Scott was wrong. Unforgivable for me. Next fans standing for hours in the sun for a ticket for the final  play off game. After 5 hours. FIVE HOURS Gordon Scott came out and told the waiting  fans , lads trust me this is unacceptable next season the ticket online system will be fixed for next season. How many fans in BAWA complaining they could not renew their season ticket because the ticketing system is still the same as last season. Sorry mate you might not agree but the person running your club is very important . One day when you grow up decide what to do with your life, have your first shag. Get paid off. Win the lottery.  Next day it was a mistake you have not won the lottery will you hopefully pull up the blinds. 

37 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Two signings who have played a total of 16 top flight games between them and this is the reaction?  Hilariously low expectations in Paisley.

I generally find it's better to keep expectations low. For clubs such as ours, hubris is all-too-often followed by crushing, tragic, embarrassing, inept, hilarious failure.

I'll let you choose your own real-world example from recent footballing history to illustrate this point with.

18 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Never ever ever wrote that.. have watched St Mirren since 1967. Have been in every ground Saints have played in the UK. Have been to Europe 4 times to watch Saints. Have shares. Member of the fan buy out. Season ticket holder where some seasons have got to 5 home games in one season  due to work. Member of 1877. Stay in hotel's mid week games. Simply put I have an emotional tie to St Mirren. Does that mean I should not be critical of things I do not think are right. St Mirren will live on beyond me and you.  If ( IF ) Funds to the sum of 2 million has been used up on a revolving door that to me is sever miss management of the highest order. You might think that is acceptable to get rid of everyone and his dog. However if 2 million income from transfer fees had be spent wisely there would have been plenty money for  rainy day's. We are a yoyo club rainy day funds are important.  I'm glad most Saints posters have a stiffy for the signings so far. Too old for a stiffy pleased with the signings.  Unfortunately the blind cant see the bigger picture.  That's fine expect my shoes to be polished by the brown nose ones the Saints pie and bovril Saints posters most not all.  Answer one question with a simple yes or no. If St Mirren blow 2 million replacing managers and players because they are not good enough would you agree with that. Keep me right here. Gordon Scott chairman of St Mirren 3 years. 5 managers ? 60 to 70 players. Went public to the press to drag his own supporters through the gutter.  Only for opposition fans to prove Scott was wrong. Unforgivable for me. Next fans standing for hours in the sun for a ticket for the final  play off game. After 5 hours. FIVE HOURS Gordon Scott came out and told the waiting  fans , lads trust me this is unacceptable next season the ticket online system will be fixed for next season. How many fans in BAWA complaining they could not renew their season ticket because the ticketing system is still the same as last season. Sorry mate you might not agree but the person running your club is very important . One day when you grow up decide what to do with your life, have your first shag. Get paid off. Win the lottery.  Next day it was a mistake you have not won the lottery will you hopefully pull up the blinds. 

The hieroglyphics could be deciphered quicker than this.....🙄

43 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

:lol:

Top quality comeback...go take your place in the pish patter corner with CraigKillie who has been there since earlier.

It wasn't a comeback I was answering the question.  

Left that on a complete cliffhanger! Pull up the blinds and...?!

21 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Left that on a complete cliffhanger! Pull up the blinds and...?!

....there’s Judith Ralston on your doorstep, complete with six chilled cans and a chicken tandoori. Result.

1 hour ago, AllyM said:

If that entire first 11 got injured or suspended but everyone else was ok, we could still field an 11 of:

Lyness, McPherson, Baird, McAllister (N), Erhahon, McGinn, Magennis, Djorkaeff, Kellerman (or Breadner), Mullen, Cooke.

Add an experienced defender who can play anywhere across the back, and I reckon we are nearly there. When does the league cup start?

The starting line up certainly looks a whole lot better than it did but the depth isn't there for me other than in central midfield. Still I'm much more hopeful for the season ahead than I was two weeks ago. 

8 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:
10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:
All very valid points.  Most decent players though, come with a caveat of some sorts. We probably would have struggled to sign Obika had it not been for his recent injury.
JG apparently saying on Clyde 1 interview earlier that the two bodies coming in today means that he can now take his time and bring another two on board before the close of the window which seems to fly in the face of most of our beliefs that this is now the end of the transfer business.
So where would you strengthen from here with the knowledge the manager himself is saying he's still keen to bring another couple of new faces in over the next three weeks? 

That being the case, I’d like to see us sign a centre half and a striker! emoji1.png

Ok, but what about the other player?

34 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

....there’s Judith Ralston on your doorstep, complete with six chilled cans and a chicken tandoori. Result.

For DZ it's more likely to be Gazza with six warm cans of Newcy Broon, a Tesco chicken and a fishing rod. 

Edited by djchapsticks