The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Looking forward to Sunday to see the team in the flesh. Should be a good day me and a mate setting off from Rothesay on the 11am ferry. 

Let’s hope for some Calum waters while you are both on that ferry. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

That'll do for me. Assuming he goes straight in for the weekend, that means every single player will be playing in their natural position. Should be quite the sight.

Only thing is we wont have a recognised left back when playing  Kilmarnock 4 times. As I take it is a loan Killie did not want him to leave permanently earlier in the week. 

4 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Only thing is we wont have a recognised left back when playing  Kilmarnock 4 times. As I take it is a loan Killie did not want him to leave permanently earlier in the week. 

Do you really expect us to be in the bottom 6 (with Killie) after the split ????

Show some ambition DZ.

3 hours ago, jm1 said:
3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:
I think we'll get by for now with the two strikers we have, given we only play with one anyway. I do still hope a big target man comes in, but even if it doesn't happen until the last minute then I won't be too fussed.

I think Obika can be that target man. Even last week when he probably wasn't match fit, he was winning headers, holding up the ball and looking solid as f**k

Yeah I thought he looked a bit tasty. The ref gave him absolutely nothing though, any time he muscled a Hibs player off the ball it was a free kick. Hopefully some other refs give him a break.

While it would have been good to get Popescu back, we should remember that young guys like Nick McAllister and McBrearty need to get their chance to impress. There’s nothing more rewarding than seeing young players come through the academy and make a name for themselves. 

Great news about Cody. Could actually help us in terms of being forced to bring in more than 1 striker now.

Do we have any players apart from McGinn and Erhahon that can deputise at left-back and play comfortable there, if we do bring in Waters? I Still think its a risk only having one natural left-back when he arrives.

3 hours ago, Gert.T.Fock said:

What's happened to the LB supposed to be signing today?

Deal is done, guess they want to announce it tomorrow. Will definitely be in the squad for Sunday, 100%

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

While it would have been good to get Popescu back, we should remember that young guys like Nick McAllister and McBrearty need to get their chance to impress. There’s nothing more rewarding than seeing young players come through the academy and make a name for themselves. 

If they're going to be used as back-up/competition to the established players (which seems more likely than with young centre mids, for example) should we not have given them some more experience in the League Cup games? It would have been the perfect opportunity given how short of numbers we were (although we still kept clean sheets), yet in the end McAllister only got game time because MacPherson went off injured.

Also a bit concerned how much we're banking (pun intended) on MacKenzie given he's missed huge chunks of the three seasons he's been with us through injury.

Completely changing track but bit odd Killie are supposedly only giving us Waters on loan. He's barely played for them in the two years he's been there and, unless they punt Taylor, that surely won't change. His contract is up next summer too. Can only assume they don't want him playing against us or we can't afford his full wages.