The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

So if McAllister arrives, Goodwin has a rather large selection headache in the middle of the park.

Two from Magennis, McGinn, Foley and Flynn in the middle, and three from Andreu, Djorkaeff, Durmus and McAllister behind the striker.

Obviously fitness and injuries mean there'll be plenty of rotation, but my first choice midfield there sees two big players miss out... 😲

If McAllister comes back then it would give us good balance as we don't have a right winger. Djorkaeff might be able to play that role. We also have Erhahon and McPherson also miss out too! We're a bit stacked in centre midfield and wonder if we'd send Erhahon out to Championship club?

4 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Mackenzie is always getting injured and Baird is squad player standard.

For these reasons, a new centre half would be good.

To be fair to MacKenzie, I read that he'd had an op to sort out the injury he'd been having problems with over the past season. The reason he missed games earlier this season was cracked ribs, which there's not a lot you can do to avoid. Before that, when Ross was here, his other injury was concussion.

Although, he is lacking in pace, as another poster mentioned.

Definitely another CB required.

Edited by FTOF

9 hours ago, flyingscot said:

If McAllister comes back then it would give us good balance as we don't have a right winger. Djorkaeff might be able to play that role. We also have Erhahon and McPherson also miss out too! We're a bit stacked in centre midfield and wonder if we'd send Erhahon out to Championship club?

I would send him out. He won't be a first pick and in his situation he needs games. He also needs to rebuild some confidence. With young players I expect mistakes but I also expect to see players learning from mistakes and improving as the weeks go by. Ethan started brightly then deteriorated. McPherson has proved to be a more versatile player and I would keep him.

22 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Remember Sean is only hear till January so I can see us trying to negotiate a deal to get Popescu back to Paisley. 

I agree with you here. The short term loan could possibly be down to the club looking for a more permanent centre half and Sean helps fill the position for now. Either that or Hull were not prepared to extend it further.

I would love to have Popescu back and this possibly still keeps the door open for a return if his club.

51 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Where did Erhahon play last night?

Centre mid apparently. Reported that he played quite well there too apart from a bombscare 5 minute spell. 

Glad Cammy Breadner scored. Any time I've seen him have a run out for first team he's looked impressive. Hell hopefully get a chance to rack minutes up this season. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Centre mid apparently. Reported that he played quite well there too apart from a bombscare 5 minute spell. 

Glad Cammy Breadner scored. Any time I've seen him have a run out for first team he's looked impressive. Hell hopefully get a chance to rack minutes up this season. 

Breadner has got something about him. I liked the look of him in his 1 or 2 previous first team appearances. The next star from the academy ?

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

See this is my problem. To help Erhahon develop as a player, he has to play to his strengths, in his natural position. Evident on that note from last night he looked impressive in a central midfield role.

Ideally, if we are still looking at bringing in defensive players before the window closes, we not only look for a left back though a centre half who can deputise there too, allowing Erhahon to move out on loan, even if it's for 6 months on his natural position. Shame is, the last 10 months or so, he has been seen playing left back and may not be on other teams radar as a central midfielder loan option.

7 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

See this is my problem. To help Erhahon develop as a player, he has to play to his strengths, in his natural position. Evident on that note from last night he looked impressive in a central midfield role.

Ideally, if we are still looking at bringing in defensive players before the window closes, we not only look for a left back though a centre half who can deputise there too, allowing Erhahon to move out on loan, even if it's for 6 months on his natural position. Shame is, the last 10 months or so, he has been seen playing left back and may not be on other teams radar as a central midfielder loan option.

If he's a DM then I think we should send him out on loan to a team in a similar situation to us - ie one that'll mainly have their backs to the wall at the wrong end of their division. Help him learn the craft of breaking up play when we don't have much possession. Could imagine him going to Alloa but spending time training with us still. Or maybe Partick.

Edited by Coventry Saint