The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

It’s a terrible shame for the lad, but it’s seems that he’s been diagnosed with a chronic injury and he’s unable to accept the diagnosis. 

If St Mirren were to come out and say this then they would f**k up his chances of him finding a gig with another club. 

If he does find another club then exactly the same scenario will be be the inevitable outcome.  

He should probably consider the coaching option now. Never good to hear of a career cut short, but if that is the reality, it is best all round that he moves on.

The Kyle McAllister rumours are gathering pace.
Some even suggesting he's coming back on a permanent deal [emoji50]
Hope there is some truth it!!
The idea of McAllister and Durmus on opposite wings sounds great [emoji108]

Kyle McAllister coming home on a permanent deal would be as absolutely glorious as it is unexpected. 

Most of us hoped we'd get him on loan for another 6 months or a season but if he's coming back full time, we're a left back and striker away from actually looking decent on paper. 

AND ACTUALLY HAVING A STABLE SQUAD!!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kyle-mcallister-talks-st-mirren-18837308.amp?__twitter_impression=true

31 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Kyle McAllister coming home on a permanent deal would be as absolutely glorious as it is unexpected. 

Most of us hoped we'd get him on loan for another 6 months or a season but if he's coming back full time, we're a left back and striker away from actually looking decent on paper. 

AND ACTUALLY HAVING A STABLE SQUAD!!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kyle-mcallister-talks-st-mirren-18837308.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Would add another centre half to that mix

11 minutes ago, Brazilorbust said:

Popescu please

One of my friends talks to Popescu through Instagram and apparently the clubs are still in contact and Popescu said to him he would love to come back if a deal can be done. He definitely didn’t say there was no chance of him coming back.

Although did his manager not suffer a heart attack while he was playing? Maybe the new manager will have him in his plans. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

One of my friends talks to Popescu through Instagram and apparently the clubs are still in contact and Popescu said to him he would love to come back if a deal can be done. He definitely didn’t say there was no chance of him coming back.

Although did his manager not suffer a heart attack while he was playing? Maybe the new manager will have him in his plans. 

Might not be a popular opinion (in fact it definitely won't be) but weighing up the merits of the three centre halves now here, I'm not too sure Popescu is what we need right at this moment. 

Gary Mac brings a lot of experience to the table and on happy with either Sean McLoughlin or Baird playing beside him. Baird has a bit of a reputation though for not playing too well alongside guys younger than him who can't talk him through games. I definitely feel if one more centre half was to arrive, it would be someone a bit older and no nonsense.

Of course part of this is probably me just reconciling in my head that Popescu isn't coming back so not going to feel let down when he isn't. Reality is that If he travelled over today, I'd give him a coalie back from the airport to Ralston. 

Might not be a popular opinion (in fact it definitely won't be) but weighing up the merits of the three centre halves now here, I'm not too sure Popescu is what we need right at this moment. 
Gary Mac brings a lot of experience to the table and on happy with either Sean McLoughlin or Baird playing beside him. Baird has a bit of a reputation though for not playing too well alongside guys younger than him who can't talk him through games. I definitely feel if one more centre half was to arrive, it would be someone a bit older and no nonsense.
Of course part of this is probably me just reconciling in my head that Popescu isn't coming back so not going to feel let down when he isn't. Reality is that If he travelled over today, I'd give him a coalie back from the airport to Ralston. 

Mackenzie is always getting injured and Baird is squad player standard.

For these reasons, a new centre half would be good.

13 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I fully agree. I still feel we need another centre half and centre forward option on top of the first choices for RW and LB that are coming. 

If we get those right, and Kyle would be a top start, we'll actually have a pretty decent squad on paper. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Remember Sean is only hear till January so I can see us trying to negotiate a deal to get Popescu back to Paisley. 

So if McAllister arrives, Goodwin has a rather large selection headache in the middle of the park.

Two from Magennis, McGinn, Foley and Flynn in the middle, and three from Andreu, Djorkaeff, Durmus and McAllister behind the striker.

Obviously fitness and injuries mean there'll be plenty of rotation, but my first choice midfield there sees two big players miss out... 😲

43 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

So if McAllister arrives, Goodwin has a rather large selection headache in the middle of the park.

Two from Magennis, McGinn, Foley and Flynn in the middle, and three from Andreu, Djorkaeff, Durmus and McAllister behind the striker.

Obviously fitness and injuries mean there'll be plenty of rotation, but my first choice midfield there sees two big players miss out... 😲

I am sure it would be a nice head ache to have. 

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I have to agree. MacKenzie is a more than capable player but as said he is injury prone and has no pace about him at all. He looks very slow and would get undone easily. We need a player who is mobile and Popescu fits the bill or similar