The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Have to say I'm liking these two-year deals. As long as they're not pish 😂

Boy's got a Youtube highlights reel - fucking hook me up:

Clearly knows how to finish. A fallow season and AC injury in the last couple of years, but he wouldn't be signing for St Mirren otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I would doubt we’d need 4 strikers on the books as we generally only play with 1!

I get what you are saying but we had 4 on the books almost constantly last season.

Cooke, Mullen, NBM, Jackson

Then replaced NBM with Nazon

Most squads will go with 4 strikers on their books at this level, I feel. If you go with 3 and lose one you're in a bit of bother.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I get what you are saying but we had 4 on the books almost constantly last season.

Cooke, Mullen, NBM, Jackson

Then replaced NBM with Nazon

Most squads will go with 4 strikers on their books at this level, I feel. If you go with 3 and lose one you're in a bit of bother.

Tbf we look like we're going with no strikers in the squad this season

Obika's goal return isn't too convincing but fingers crossed he can do a job for us. If he gets into double figures in the league I'll be both shocked and delighted (same for Mullen and Cooke had the latter been fit).

Goodwin quoted as saying ideally he'd like another three. If/when Obika and the guy from Hull sign we still need another striker, leftback and centre half as a minimum and ideally another winger unless that's where Djorkaeff is playing.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Goodwin quoted as saying ideally he'd like another three. If/when Obika and the guy from Hull sign we still need another striker, leftback and centre half as a minimum and ideally another winger unless that's where Djorkaeff is playing.

Agreed. We realistically need another 4 or 5 after those two. 

Loving the Obika highlights reel.  Good left peg, looks a strong presence in the box, good in the air.  

I must not get carried away by a youtube clip.

FUCKING LOVE THE BIG GUY ALREADY..! ❤️

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I would doubt we’d need 4 strikers on the books as we generally only play with 1!

Goodwin confirmed earlier, we'll likely be adding 3 forwards. Also saying he's looking at a left back as priority, which we knew anyway. 

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1439697-st-mirren-eye-striker-move-with-cooke-sidelined-long-term/

Goodwin confirmed earlier, we'll likely be adding 3 forwards. Also saying he's looking at a left back as priority, which we knew anyway. 
https://stv.tv/sport/football/1439697-st-mirren-eye-striker-move-with-cooke-sidelined-long-term/

He says were light in the “forward areas”

Another wide player like Kyle McAllister could be one of them IMO

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

He says were light in the “forward areas”

Another wide player like Kyle McAllister could be one of them IMO

Inclined to agree, I think it'll be two more strikers (including the boy from today, assuming that's a done deal) and a winger.

Surprised to see McAllister away to the Netherlands this week; was hoping he'd be signing for the weekend, if he is indeed coming.

Nightmare if he tears it up for their juniors (whatever age group it is) and catches the eye.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Jonathan Obika signing from Oxford Utd on a 2 year deal.

Is that confirmed? If so I'd have pretty strong reservations about it. He's been out for 8 or 9 months with an anterior cruciate ligament injury. I think I'm right in saying that since he got injured in October 2018 he's only played in two or three friendly matches as a trialist - for Stevenage and for Cambridge United. I don't think he's been injury prone in his career but this is a particularly bad one to come back from and throwing him in against Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers, and then a match on a plastic pitch at Livingston doesn't look wise. 

He's had a decent career, 1 goal in 5 in his career isn't bad. It's just this injury would worry me. 

Edited by Malky3

Just now, Saint Shug said:

Understand the concerns over players who have had previous knee injuries but It’s not all doom and gloom, Darren McGregor suffered the injury twice with us and Harry Davies turned out no bad after his as well 

True. He'll be on a good wage though. One of only a handful of striking options for Goodwin. For me this is a huge gamble. It might pay off. His highlight reel looks good - they always do though - but that injury - it worries me. 

34 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

He's had a decent career, 1 goal in 5 in his career isn't bad. It's just this injury would worry me. 

Is 1 goal every 5 games not a pretty poor return for a striker?

7-8 goals in an SPL season.