The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Cody Cooke out for most the season, apparently. That's rotten luck, for him and us.

Need two strikers in the door now.

That's a shame for the lad. Was hopefully of good things from him this season after a decent end to last from him. 

He was most probably not going to be our 1st choice striker anyway,  but still a blow.

That's an awful one of the lad.

I imagine we were already looking at two new forwards before this happened (as we only had Cooke and Mullen and went with 4 forwards in the squad most of last season), wonder if that will still be the case of if we'll now look bring another in as an option.

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's an awful one of the lad.

I imagine we were already looking at two new forwards before this happened (as we only had Cooke and Mullen and went with 4 forwards in the squad most of last season), wonder if that will still be the case of if we'll now look bring another in as an option.

I reckon we'll go with three - budget might limit us to that anyway.

You assume White will be one, based on the rumours, and he's near enough a straight swap for Cooke anyway. I think we need a bit of pace up there, though, and that's where it gets tricky.

I honestly wouldn't be averse to Jackson coming back. 

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You assume White will be one, based on the rumours, and he's near enough a straight swap for Cooke anyway. I think we need a bit of pace up there, though, and that's where it gets tricky.

Jackson really did nothing for me at all to be honest, worked hard but very rarely did you feel he carried a goal threat.

I'd genuinely fear for us with a front three to pick from of Mullen, Jackson and White. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Jackson really did nothing for me at all to be honest, worked hard but very rarely did you feel he carried a goal threat.

I'd genuinely fear for us with a front three to pick from of Mullen, Jackson and White. 

I dunno - as with Mullen, I thought his actual goal return was pretty good considering how very little we were creating.

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I thought players who are injured are not paid by the club directly but through insurance taken out by the club thus freeing up the wages for any replacement?

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

I thought players who are injured are not paid by the club directly but through insurance taken out by the club thus freeing up the wages for any replacement?

Wasn't aware of that, but could be useful if that's the case.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I liked Jackson as well. We weren't very creative last season at all and our strikers were really living off scraps. I thought Jackson and Mullen were the best of them. I reckon the problem with Jackson is probably that he was quite expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the highest paid players at the club last season, and it's whether he's really worth it or not that is the issue.

Also, he'll never live that penalty down.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Would agree with that, thought Jackson showed a bit of class at times. Was unfortunate to be the 1 up front, and as soon as we changed to 2 up front, he was dropped.

Don't think some ever forgave him for the pen at St.J'stone.

Jackson worked his socks off, but didn’t strike me as particularly confident in front of goal.

Our style of play didn’t help, though. Far too often he had to receive the ball with his back to goal, shake off two defenders, and try to create an opportunity - all on his own. No wonder he often ran out of steam when presented with chances.  He had to work too hard to make them.

10 minutes ago, Drooper said:

As everyone else has said, really feel for Cooke. He clearly has a right good attitude, and got his head down to earn his opportunity. What a kick in the baws for the lad.

A shame for him of course but I think his performances in the diddy cup games so far this season were his chance to really stake a claim for the season ahead and unfortunately he under performed big time. Not sure if it's an attitude problem or purely a fitness thing but he looked totally disinterested at times to me. A totally different player to how he was at the end of last season. Admittedly the same could be said for most of the team.