The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

47 minutes ago, Div said:

Being an arsehole has no correlation with age.

We have arseholes at every age group.

Yeah, fair enough. Being a middle aged grumbler myself though I do think it's the young guys in the support that have brought most of the positivity and made supporting St Mirren much more fun recently.

9 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, fair enough. Being a middle aged grumbler myself though I do think it's the young guys in the support that have brought most of the positivity and made supporting St Mirren much more fun recently.

To be honest it's a handful of the same old culprits, the moaners and groaners shout the loudest and want the most attention.

4 hours ago, GAD said:

Well that is very true!

13 hours ago, GAD said:

W7 testament to that.

6 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I believe a left back on a season long loan from down south is one of them but I’m far from in the know.

That would do.

Folk bemoaning the use of loan deals seem to forget that this is the market we have operated in for many years now, as have all clubs. Some have worked, while others haven't - pretty much the same scenario with players on contacts.

3 minutes ago, Drooper said:

That would do.

Folk bemoaning the use of loan deals seem to forget that this is the market we have operated in for many years now, as have all clubs. Some have worked, while others haven't - pretty much the same scenario with players on contacts.

I think, as with anything, there is a balance to be struck. Necessity forced our hand in January, but it wasn't ideal to have that many loanees in - it was a crazy percentage of the squad in the end.

IIRC Jim said from pretty much day one that he wanted more properly contracted players, with a handful of loans on top. It's clearly the way to go, as long as those loans are adding quality that we couldn't normally afford, rather than just filling up the squad.

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think, as with anything, there is a balance to be struck. Necessity forced our hand in January, but it wasn't ideal to have that many loanees in - it was a crazy percentage of the squad in the end.

IIRC Jim said from pretty much day one that he wanted more properly contracted players, with a handful of loans on top. It's clearly the way to go, as long as those loans are adding quality that we couldn't normally afford, rather than just filling up the squad.

I agree, though would add that at least we don't need to bloody pay them off if they are duds.

6 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I agree, though would add that at least we don't need to bloody pay them off if they are duds.

😂 True - dodged a bullet with Coulson, NBM and Willock, in that respect. 

(Aside: I just googled NBM, who has apparently scored two in three in the Danish league for his new club. 😲 )

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

He also scored one in 16 for them last season, so it's not quite as prolific as on first glance.

Oh aye, don't get me wrong, I'm not wringing my hands over him having scored a couple of goals. He looked rank rotten when he was here, and we are well shot.

Edited by Drooper

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

😂 True - dodged a bullet with Coulson, NBM and Willock, in that respect. 

(Aside: I just googled NBM, who has apparently scored two in three in the Danish league for his new club. 😲 )

Probably against the Danish versions of Albion Rovers, EK and Edinburgh city