The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

52 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Rumour has it the big fella who was over yesterday for a look around and a chat  won't be joining up.

I’m hearing that he’s signing for another Scottish Premiership club. Stand by for a total meltdown of our fans.

12 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m hearing that he’s signing for another Scottish Premiership club. Stand by for a total meltdown of our fans.

If it's a team with more money to offer than us, or were significantly better than us last season, then there will be no meltdown from me.

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Aye, we could do worse. At least we know who he is!

Pre-season is pish.  Player after player who no-one has ever heard of linked with a move to the club, only for it to fall through, and for folk to wail and wring their hands over missing out on signing guys who might or might not have been shite anyway.

Is this the Dutch striker?

I never hummed and hawed about going. I was never going. This League Cup / pre season friendly bollocks is, well, bollocks. A national cup competition, part of our treble, that has given diddies like us a shot at glory, now takes the place of ‘glamour’ friendlies v Sunderland. They even allowed this shite to be live on BT Sport. With the men’s singles final at Wimbledon, the cricket world cup final, the British Grand Prix, and our lethargic pre-season warm up with half a squad, all live on TV.... fcuked if I was going anywhere near the game yesterday. Fair play to those who did though. Each to their own. I’m entirely happy in my ‘part time supporter skin’. 
As an aside, those big black ‘H’ kits are just fcuking awful, even when worn by the first team, rather than a fat spotty herbert eating a steak & gravy pie in the stands. Leiderhosen indeed.  IMHO, naturally.
Imagine watching cricket, tennis and F1 rather than your own team.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

When video clips were shown on STV news I wrote someone else will now come in and get him. You know why have mentioned many times. 

21 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

When video clips were shown on STV news I wrote someone else will now come in and get him. You know why have mentioned many times. 

Half expecting dundee utd or dundee to used their new found financial unfair play to nip in ahead of us.

44 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
On 15/07/2019 at 11:39, pozbaird said:
I never hummed and hawed about going. I was never going. This League Cup / pre season friendly bollocks is, well, bollocks. A national cup competition, part of our treble, that has given diddies like us a shot at glory, now takes the place of ‘glamour’ friendlies v Sunderland. They even allowed this shite to be live on BT Sport. With the men’s singles final at Wimbledon, the cricket world cup final, the British Grand Prix, and our lethargic pre-season warm up with half a squad, all live on TV.... fcuked if I was going anywhere near the game yesterday. Fair play to those who did though. Each to their own. I’m entirely happy in my ‘part time supporter skin’. 
As an aside, those big black ‘H’ kits are just fcuking awful, even when worn by the first team, rather than a fat spotty herbert eating a steak & gravy pie in the stands. Leiderhosen indeed.  IMHO, naturally.

Imagine watching cricket, tennis and F1 rather than your own team.

I watched them on telly. If those in charge choose to relegate one of our three major trophies to the status of pre-season fitness exercises, then fcuked if I’m choosing to spend my hard-earned to watch it. I’ll be back when the league fixtures start. That’s entirely my choice, so if you disagree with it, fine, you are free to do so, but also feel free to take your ‘cricket, tennis and F1’ comment and shove it up yer’ arse sideways.

Edited by pozbaird

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

Hladky was our best player by a country mile on Sunday.

No debate really.

Yes definitely. Thrown under the bus again but kept the score semi respectable in the first half. Thought flynn, baird and erhahon were the only players that showed any sort of urgency and effort regardless of quality. The rest walked about the pitch as if it was a testimonial. Andreu contributed next to nothing other than taking set pieces.

Edited by christinanade

Are there any old codgers like myself who play the occasional game of chess and want to take part in an online Saints tourney.

The tournament would be hosted on chess.com and the draw would be made by random with each game being a max of 10 mins and is the best out of three.

If you are interested then let me know. The tourney will start on sunday and games will be played at a time that suits both parties drawn together. The game must be played within one week. The winner will move onto the next round and the final will be played whenever we reach the final 2 which will depend on how many people wish to enter. If you do not already have a chess.com account then register one for free and pm me your username for both this site and the one on chess.com

The prize - The title of BAWA Grandmaster!

Edited by truesaint
mistake

A lot was made of the role of Gus but is he actually doing anything? The teams round about us are signing player after player but we are standing still. Perhaps we don't think we need to rush this but after the weekend a wee bit more urgency is required. We are at least 6 players short at the moment. Most fans can wait for quality however I am concerned we are looking in the bargain basement shops. 

7 minutes ago, AW saint said:

A lot was made of the role of Gus but is he actually doing anything? The teams round about us are signing player after player but we are standing still. Perhaps we don't think we need to rush this but after the weekend a wee bit more urgency is required. We are at least 6 players short at the moment. Most fans can wait for quality however I am concerned we are looking in the bargain basement shops. 

I've been far from convinced of the merit of having a DoF type role at a club the size of St Mirren from day one, but we have to assume that Gus is doing something. Perhaps he sees his main role as ensuring that 85% of our squad are central midfielders.

Meltdown begun