The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

There is absolutely no chance we are only bringing 4 or 5 new faces in. 

Perhaps 4 or 5 permanent signings and 2 or 3 loan deals. 

Say we brought in Verheydt and this hypothetical left back this week and we only had 2 more to bring in, where would they be for? Clearly a winger and a centre half would have to be top priority but if that was the case, we'd have a squad with only one winger, 3 centre halves (and one of those is very patchy with injuries), no actual cover in either full back position and only 3 centre forwards. 

There is no way we're going to bring in any less than 7 more players by end of August. Surely to feck. 

Roy Orbison had a great song called  dream dream dream . We are skint wake up mate. Scott has messed up. 

6 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Roy Orbison had a great song called  dream dream dream . We are skint wake up mate. Scott has messed up. 

Given your track record of reporting on matters based on St. Mirren, forgive me if I take anything you say with a pinch of salt. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Come on, that's harsh. He did give us the exclusive that the Dutch guy and his agent got up and left at half time on Sunday.

Probably went back to the Open Day in Holland he was at an hour before kick off.

Given your track record of reporting on matters based on St. Mirren, forgive me if I take anything you say with a pinch of salt. 

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Say we brought in Verheydt and this hypothetical left back this week and we only had 2 more to bring in, where would they be for? Clearly a winger and a centre half would have to be top priority but if that was the case, we'd have a squad with only one winger, 3 centre halves (and one of those is very patchy with injuries), no actual cover in either full back position and only 3 centre forwards. 

There is no way we're going to bring in any less than 7 more players by end of August. Surely to feck. 

I reckon we might be going with just the one winger this season, with one inside-out wide player on the other side. Oan or Magennis, probably. I agree with the rest - 6 or 7 players needed, without a doubt.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what's going on with Tansey? He's been putting videos on instagram of him training on his own on a rugby field. I hope we haven't bombed him out. I put commented to the effect of 'hope you'll be playing your part this season' and both he and his other half 'liked' it, so maybe he's just working to get back fit before he rejoins the squad properly.

31 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Come on, that's harsh. He did give us the exclusive that the Dutch guy and his agent got up and left at half time on Sunday.

Probably went back to the Open Day in Holland he was at an hour before kick off.

Was at the ground yesterday with his agent.

11 hours ago, NorthBank said:

While McGinn wasn't at his best and his passing was poor, like many others in the team, I thought he often had very few options. It looked to me like most of those in front of hime were marking the opposition and not the other way round. We need far more movement. Most passing was to someone with a defender right on top of them. And while some thought Cooke and Mullen got poor service I thought they did vefy little running off the ball to make things happen.

Yeah definitely a lack of movement and options going forward. You could see that last season.  Most of the time the only out ball was mcallister going on solo runs and mcginn overlapping from full back.

Andreu should be the one dictating the play. If he doesn't, you are basically playing with a man down. He was anonymous for most of the game. Djorkaeff did more in ten minutes in that role than he did all game.

Don't worry though, get the big dutch striker signed and it'll be big balls smashed up missing out the midfield entirely 😂

1 minute ago, christinanade said:

Yeah definitely a lack of movement and options going forward. You could see that last season.  Most of the time the only out ball was mcallister going on solo runs and mcginn overlapping from full back.

Andreu should be the one dictating the play. If he doesn't, you are basically playing with a man down. He was anonymous for most of the game. Djorkaeff did more in ten minutes in that role than he did all game.

Don't worry though, get the big dutch striker signed and it'll be big balls smashed up missing out the midfield entirely 😂

Andreu was definitely disappointing on Sunday, but so were most.

I'm not sure the diamond shape has a future, in all honesty - it seemed to somehow make lesser players of both Cooke and Mullen, while Andreu looked lost.

I also worried slightly that MacKenzie is best suited to a back three, which we played in the playoffs. He turns like a yacht so it stands to reason that he'd benefit from extra cover. However, I'd really rather we weren't playing that formation...

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Andreu was definitely disappointing on Sunday, but so were most.

I'm not sure the diamond shape has a future, in all honesty - it seemed to somehow make lesser players of both Cooke and Mullen, while Andreu looked lost.

I also worried slightly that MacKenzie is best suited to a back three, which we played in the playoffs. He turns like a yacht so it stands to reason that he'd benefit from extra cover. However, I'd really rather we weren't playing that formation...

Agreed. He's good against teams that play direct balls up. Unfortunately when the balls played on the deck, he makes journeymen like ryan dow look like messi...

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The "4 or 5 new faces in" will be, in terms of numbers,  like the "4 or 5 new faces" we brought in during the January window.:)

10 minutes ago, christinanade said:

Agreed. He's good against teams that play direct balls up. Unfortunately when the balls played on the deck, he makes journeymen like ryan dow look like messi...

Not too sure about that either. He struggled badly in the last away game against Livingston when they were shelling the ball up to Hardie who was playing off his shoulder.

McKenzie would undoubtedly fare better with a designated holding midfielder in front of him. He is good at mopping up, but decidedly shaky at times in one-on-one situations, particularly with his back to goal.

7 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

What fucking game were some of these posters watching on Sunday, Andreu was our best player by a mile. 

😂 Just shows it's a game of opinions. Perhaps he needed more movement around him - you can only pull the strings if someone's holding the other end, after all.

I actually thought Ryan Flynn was our best player on the day, but that's damning with faint praise.

49 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

😂 Just shows it's a game of opinions. Perhaps he needed more movement around him - you can only pull the strings if someone's holding the other end, after all.

I actually thought Ryan Flynn was our best player on the day, but that's damning with faint praise.

Andreu was head and shoulders above everyone, but in terms of fitness and preparation we looked a mile off the required pace and fitness level. 

The only good thing to come out of these games is that it gives the players more game time, and increases their level of match fitness. I’m not really fussed as long as we recruit with some decent quality in time for the opening league matches.

Not too sure about that either. He struggled badly in the last away game against Livingston when they were shelling the ball up to Hardie who was playing off his shoulder.
McKenzie would undoubtedly fare better with a designated holding midfielder in front of him. He is good at mopping up, but decidedly shaky at times in one-on-one situations, particularly with his back to goal.
I fear big Mac is like Potter. Needs to play in a back 3 or will be too exposed in a back 4 against better quicker strikers this season.

12 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Rumour has it the big fella who was over yesterday for a look around and a chat  won't be joining up.

Galling because you get the impression quite a lot of legwork has gone into this one. We really do seem to struggle to attract strikers, for some reason. Identical scenario to what played out last summer. I'd genuinely be on the phone to the Duck to see if he fancies another go at it 😂

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Galling because you get the impression quite a lot of legwork has gone into this one. We really do seem to struggle to attract strikers, for some reason. Identical scenario to what played out last summer. I'd genuinely be on the phone to the Duck to see if he fancies another go at it 😂

Aye, we could do worse. At least we know who he is!

Pre-season is pish.  Player after player who no-one has ever heard of linked with a move to the club, only for it to fall through, and for folk to wail and wring their hands over missing out on signing guys who might or might not have been shite anyway.