The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

No doubt if we had signed 5 players before Goodwin was appointed the same folk on twitter would be moaning that the new manager didn't get to pick his own players and Gus would be getting it in the neck.

The same folk were badgering the club to clear up the OK situation.

Pre season and even pre pre season is a nightmare. Fans are bored. We are also very needy. Sometimes you have got to have a bit of patience and let the professionals do their job.

I get that GS might not be the most popular but its concerning how many always turn on him, even still. Who do we trust, a lifelong fan who is running the club or an Irish guy who done well keeping us up but went back to his old vacancy that was available for 2 months.

Thank god the football is almost back.

Anyone else surprised we went public with the Dutch lad coming over this weekend with his agent before he has signed.  STV even showed highlights of him scoring goals. Not seen a paper yet I'm sure this news will be in print also. This should have been kept under wraps until he has actually signd. 

23 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Anyone else surprised we went public with the Dutch lad coming over this weekend with his agent before he has signed.  STV even showed highlights of him scoring goals. Not seen a paper yet I'm sure this news will be in print also. This should have been kept under wraps until he has actually signd. 

Don't think it was the club who announced this. Looks like social media played its part. 

14 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Don't think it was the club who announced this. Looks like social media played its part. 

Yea hearing it was the Daily Record picked up on it online from the Netherlands.  Fingers crossed but every club always looking out for a good striker. 

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

No doubt if we had signed 5 players before Goodwin was appointed the same folk on twitter would be moaning that the new manager didn't get to pick his own players and Gus would be getting it in the neck.

Pre season and even pre pre season is a nightmare. Fans are bored. We are also very needy. Sometimes you have got to have a bit of patience and let the professionals do their job.

I get that GS might not be the most popular but its concerning how many always turn on him, even still. Who do we trust, a lifelong fan who is running the club or an Irish guy who done well keeping us up but went back to his old vacancy that was available for 2 months.

This thread ffs. SN1F sums it up in one word- “needy”.  

19 minutes ago, AllyM said:

This thread ffs. SN1F sums it up in one word- “needy”.  

Yup, pretty succinct and to the point.

We are all awaiting signings. The way certain folk go on though, it makes you wonder if they actually have anything else to be getting on with.

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Does not bother me Gordon Scott made a huge mistake with W7 which made the press and TV news . As it turned out the family of the Dundee United fan on a stretcher was not spat on.   That made a lot of fans turn off Gordon. My wife was one of the persons who stood for 4 hours to get me a ticket for the play off. Gordon came out and told the crowd this would be fixed for next season. What were a lot of complaints about with fans trying to renew season tickets ? Is it fixed No. Then this week we have Gordon going to the press about Oran even though there is a legal agreement not to say anything.  I dont dislike Gordon but there is one thing after another. 

Our fans didn't used to be this pathetic, this is a new thing. People throwing a tantrum because we played trialists against Stenhousemuir wouldn't have happened five years ago. I think a lot if it is to do with the League Cup groups. It brings the season forward to a point that no team can realistically be ready for, so you get people howling about the season starting on Sunday and expecting a full team ready to go, but that is utterly unrealistic. Truth is we may not get some of our top targets until after the season has started, especially loans, which is fairly normal for a team like us.

14 minutes ago, GAD said:

Our fans didn't used to be this pathetic, this is a new thing. People throwing a tantrum because we played trialists against Stenhousemuir wouldn't have happened five years ago. I think a lot if it is to do with the League Cup groups. It brings the season forward to a point that no team can realistically be ready for, so you get people howling about the season starting on Sunday and expecting a full team ready to go, but that is utterly unrealistic. Truth is we may not get some of our top targets until after the season has started, especially loans, which is fairly normal for a team like us.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I posted similar on BAWA a few days back. 

The nature of the League Cup now is completely out of sync with the transfer window, clubs' activities and fans' expectations. The only upside is that pretty much all diddy teams are in more or less the same boat. Look at how impressive an utterly gopping Saints side looked against a (with hindsight) clearly-not-ready Killie last summer. 

The fact is, clubs need about five friendly matches to get their house in order and look at some trialists, run the rule over players, etc, but that simply isn't feasible any more.

4 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

St Mirren did not go public with this. The first mention that I can see was from a St Mirren fan who tweeted in on Black and White Army Twitter feed and was picked up by everyone else. This was then splashed all over the B&W Army forum. So blame our own support.

And no-one should give the Daily Ranger credit for this. They have a monkey who every day trawls through fan and club twitter feeds and forums looking for stories. That is where they get their second hand 'Exclusives'  from.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

St Mirren did not go public with this. The first mention that I can see was from a St Mirren fan who tweeted in on Black and White Army Twitter feed and was picked up by everyone else. This was then splashed all over the B&W Army forum. So blame our own support.

And no-one should give the Daily Ranger credit for this. They have a monkey who every day trawls through fan and club twitter feeds and forums looking for stories. That is where they get their second hand 'Exclusives'  from.

It's a bit much in this day and age to take 'exclusives' from media as gospel. 

The only journalists worth paying any attention to regarding breaking stories at St. Mirren are Graeme McPherson and Douglas McNeill. 

Most of the rest just sweep up 2nd hand dregs. STV know there will be 2 signings today as much as any of the rest of us do. Simply put, they don't.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

I’m now going completely off the twitter feed with so many of our fans displaying, a needy drama queen attitude to everything and anything that happens with the club.

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m now going completely off the twitter feed with so many of our fans displaying, a needy drama queen attitude to everything and anything that happens with the club.

The good thing with Twitter you dont need to read all the replying. 

Maybe some St Mirren fans wouldn’t be so ‘needy’ if every close season didn’t feel like starting from square one, over, and over again. Almost zero continuity, new manager after new manager, trawling through trialists, trying to sign 7 plus players to supplement the small core of ‘regulars’, like McGinn types. Seeking new goalies, trying to find loanees who aren’t lightweight shite...

Sure, every team needs to do a re-build of sorts each close season, but the degree that St Mirren need to take it to is a right royal pain in the arse. Let’s hope Goodwin is here for something at least approching the medium-haul, if not the long-haul.

If Scottish fitba’ teams were made out of Lego, the likes of St Johnstone have to replace some bricks every year, while we smash the fcuking thing to pieces every summer before gathering up the pile of individual bricks and attempting to build a new structure out of them.... that made sense in my head.

I don't expect us to have our full squad in place by this stage but I don't think it's too much to have expected more than two signings, one of whom is a back-up goalie.

Plenty of people saying it's fine because the league doesn't start for a while and look what rushing into signings got us last year. A look at the team that played in the first League Cup game in 2017 shows that nearly all the squad for the first half of the season was in place. The only ones who seem to be missing are Liam Smith, Dale Hilson and Daryl Duffy - and two of them barely played. Not sure if Harry Davis had signed by that point but he'd have been out injured anyway.

Not expecting us to be anywhere near that far along with the recruitment but I hardly think wanting more signings as going over the top.

Maybe some St Mirren fans wouldn’t be so ‘needy’ if every close season didn’t feel like starting from square one, over, and over again. Almost zero continuity, new manager after new manager, trawling through trialists, trying to sign 7 plus players to supplement the small core of ‘regulars’, like McGinn types. Seeking new goalies, trying to find loanees who aren’t lightweight shite...
Sure, every team needs to do a re-build of sorts each close season, but the degree that St Mirren need to take it to is a right royal pain in the arse. Let’s hope Goodwin is here for something at least approching the medium-haul, if not the long-haul.
If Scottish fitba’ teams were made out of Lego, the likes of St Johnstone have to replace some bricks every year, while we smash the fcuking thing to pieces every summer before gathering up the pile of individual bricks and attempting to build a new structure out of them.... that made sense in my head.
The thing is that these fans react as if these things only happen at St.Mirren. They don't. Have a quick read at the Thistle thread. Boardroom meltdown and their online ticket website isn't working again. Although our fans would have you believe that only happens to poor little us.

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:
19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The thing is that these fans react as if these things only happen at St.Mirren. They don't. Have a quick read at the Thistle thread. Boardroom meltdown and their online ticket website isn't working again. Although our fans would have you believe that only happens to poor little us.

Nah, I won’t sully myself by reading about lower league shite... Partick, Falkirk, the hapless Dundonian fcukwits.... 😎

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:
31 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Utterly shocked by that development given who provides their ticketing system.

In fairness, I don't think we are particularly needy as a support. No more than most, at any rate.

When I find myself becoming a little impatient or frustrated about an apparent lack of activity on the transfer front, I try to remind myself of a few points:

a) there is every chance that the players we are not signing are folk we have never heard of anyway, so we aren't really missing out, are we?;

b) if we were to sign these guys we don't know anything about, we would only fret about whether they were really as good as the youtube collage of their career highlights, or just a bit shite as always seems more likely;

c) while we aren't signing anyone, we don't need to worry about other clubs signing better players than us;

d) and finally, if I require instant gratification, I would be as well stroking one off, as at least that is something I have a degree of control over (only a degree, mind....).