The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Who cares what he's called so long as we can keep him fit this season!

Believe it or not I actually try not to be too pedantic on here... But he was literally telling someone to remember the name 😋

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Four signings incoming this week according to JG.

Djorkaeff is likely one of them. He also confirmed we are trying to bring Kyle McAllister back up the road.

I seem to be in the minority, but I really wasn't sold on McAllister at all last season. He seemed quite unfit and a bit flaky, having as many bad games as good. He scored a few goals I suppose, but he missed loads, and he wasn't even really getting a game when Denyer was fit. I guess if we can get him up now and get a pre season in him he could be a good player at this level, but it sounds like he's one of these guys that's never going to be fully fit again.

27 minutes ago, GAD said:

I seem to be in the minority, but I really wasn't sold on McAllister at all last season. He seemed quite unfit and a bit flaky, having as many bad games as good. He scored a few goals I suppose, but he missed loads, and he wasn't even really getting a game when Denyer was fit. I guess if we can get him up now and get a pre season in him he could be a good player at this level, but it sounds like he's one of these guys that's never going to be fully fit again.

Think I read somewhere that he has a chronic groin issue that will always need managed to a degree. 

I agree with the overall analysis of what you are saying. He's a game changer when he's on it but not consistent. If he was consistent, he'd not be here to be fair. 

I'd have him back for sure, I wouldn't hang my hopes for the season on him though. 

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

Going by this Nazon is on his way back to us - although they probably just assume we're his proper club rather than where he was on loan last season.

https://sentinel.ht/post/sports/soccer/10913-duckens-nazon-vacations-in-haiti-before-returning-to-scotland

Yeah, I think that's just an error. I'm actually in the 'I think he was awrite' camp, but I know lots of people aren't. I'm hoping we can bring in better.

I thought Nazon was alright, he put himself about and caused teams problems. He was unlucky to get a retrospective red card that halted any run in the team he might have got.

I don't expect he'll be back althought I would be quite happy if he did reappear.

As for McAllister, I'd bite your hand off for him. Yes he drifts in and out of games but he's a real talent who came up with the goods on a few occasions.

18 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I've heard the club are looking for at least 500k for Hladky. Slightly on the low side for my liking but could make a difference if its reinvested wisely. 

£500k - with a McGinn like sell on clause if poss.

But I'd rather we kept him on an extended and improved contract.

Probably not going to happen though.

5 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

£500k - with a McGinn like sell on clause if poss.

But I'd rather we kept him on an extended and improved contract.

Probably not going to happen though.

Yeah, we definitely need a sell on percentage clause. 

There's been inquiries from at least one club closer to home. 

I've heard the club are looking for at least 500k for Hladky. Slightly on the low side for my liking but could make a difference if its reinvested wisely. 
Realistically he only has 12 months left on his contract. We may get a much higher figure if a bidding war starts up, but 500k for a player we only signed 6 months ago would be pretty incredible for a club like ours. Even if it would be impossible to replace him with a like for like goalkeeper.

14 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
1 hour ago, Munoz said:

Realistically he only has 12 months left on his contract. We may get a much higher figure if a bidding war starts up, but 500k for a player we only signed 6 months ago would be pretty incredible for a club like ours. Even if it would be impossible to replace him with a like for like goalkeeper.

I think 500k is the right balance between being an amazing fee for a club our size, and also not being so high it prices buyers out the market.

I just hope it doesn't drag on all summer as we will need to reinvest any income in the squad.

Edit: I wonder if Jordan Holmes would come back up; Clangers spoke very highly of him.

Edited by Coventry Saint

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Going by this Nazon is on his way back to us - although they probably just assume we're his proper club rather than where he was on loan last season.

https://sentinel.ht/post/sports/soccer/10913-duckens-nazon-vacations-in-haiti-before-returning-to-scotland

Would not surprise me Nazon is a big lump of a player who can cause havoc in defences. Bit of Jim Goodwin coaching might be good for him. The fact the article states we have given him 4 days off before travelling back tells me he is getting a contract.  I'm happy with that if true. 

Absolutely no question Hladky is better than Samson . Samson's save from Tony Watt At McDiarmid in the first half of last season should have been voted save of the season though.

Samson had moments like that in him. Could also let a 20 yard trundler go past him.

No coincidence we didn't lose as many goals from corner kicks after January.

A bidding war is a bit of a myth. He will have his price that St Mirren are willing to sell him for. It won’t be a case of teams offering £50-£100k more to be first in the pecking order. They will meet the fee and then they would negotiate with the player (which is where the bidding war might take place).

I recall people suggesting the mythical bidding war for Turnbull. It just doesn’t happen!