The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I've genuinely got a good feeling about Cody Cooke. His attitude is clearly first rate, and I think he'll have taken a lot of confidence from his performances in very testing playoff games. Not least making Connolly completely lose the plot.
If we set up right and concentrate on getting balls into the box, I reckon he could be an 8-10 goal striker this season. 
Going by his goals to games ratio last season, Mullen could well score 10+ goals next season if he stays injury free.

Not sold on Cooke yet tbh. In this league you do need a battering ram type which he certainly is, overall though not sure.

Delighted with the effort he gives, some of the English guys that signed with him last season could learn a lot from his attitude.

Happy with this signing plus the added bonus of seeing Accies fans on twitter positively raging.

Yep that’s one of the most pleasing aspect of this signing.

Accies will be one of our big rivals again next season. Signing a player that all their fans seem to love and want back from under their noses is a big win for us.

Seems to be a bit of a maverick who’s capable of magic on his day.

Andreu should hopefully be a good signing for us. Plays a similar sort of position to Cammy Smith.

Plenty more needed though. Two wingers, two strikers, a left back and a centre half - probably two to be honest as Gary Mac will get a long term injury at some point and Heaton is out the picture. We're pretty lacking for pace and height and I don't think we really have a naturally left sided player. Would rather not see Erhahon at leftback again.

And Longridge isn't the answer to any of our problems. What position is Djorkaeff?

Edited by Stu

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Andreu should hopefully be a good signing for us. Plays a similar sort of position to Cammy Smith.

Plenty more needed though. Two wingers, two strikers, a left back and a centre half - probably two to be honest as Gary Mac will get a long term injury at some point and Heaton is out the picture. We're pretty lacking for pace and height and I don't think we really have a naturally left sided player. Would rather not see Erhahon at leftback again.

And Longridge isn't the answer to any of our problems. What position is Djorkaeff?

Central mid I believe. 

Can imagine he won't be offered anything now that Andreu is on board. 

Fitz did mention there is space for 7 new faces, I'm imagining that's on the basis we don't move any of our squad on. Obviously there is a lot of speculation over Kellerman and Heaton in particular and if they move on, it would be on a one in one out basis you'd hope. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Central mid I believe. 

Can imagine he won't be offered anything now that Andreu is on board. 

I'd agree but we need to remember who the technical director is.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Mullen is our only striker, Cooke is absolute garbage. The second Top 6 Tony to be on board for this season, can only be a good omen.

Absolute garbage?? Have you forgotten his hat trick v Dundee? He has taken time to settle and given a full pre season training to get him fully fit, I have no doubts he will do a decent job for us.

1 hour ago, Oldbuddy2 said:

Absolute garbage?? Have you forgotten his hat trick v Dundee? He has taken time to settle and given a full pre season training to get him fully fit, I have no doubts he will do a decent job for us.

He only came on in the second half, IIRC.  

I like him.  

5 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Mullen is our only striker, Cooke is absolute garbage. The second Top 6 Tony to be on board for this season, can only be a good omen.

I was at the majority of St Mirrens last half dozen league games and Cooke looked like a handful for defenders in every game I seen him. 

The Dundee United play off at Paisley he might not have scored but he caused panic with his height amongst the centre halves and he’s not bad with the ball at his feet either. 

Still unconvinced about Cooke, despite the hat-trick against Dundee. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. I don't think there'd have been too many complaints if he'd been out of contract and released in the summer.

He does, however, seem prepared to work for his chance unlike Heaton so hopefully he can come could, however I'd be worried if he was part of our first choice strikeforce going into the season.

I don’t get why you wouldn’t want Cody Cooke given his chance this season. Given how he’s really came on last season. 

There is most definitely a right good player in there, we just need to keep him working hard and continue his progress.

Might not necessarily be a an automatic pick, but I feel like he could well prove everyone wrong again.

15 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I don’t get why you wouldn’t want Cody Cooke given his chance this season. Given how he’s really came on last season. 

There is most definitely a right good player in there, we just need to keep him working hard and continue his progress.

Might not necessarily be a an automatic pick, but I feel like he could well prove everyone wrong again.

Agreed.

As others have said, he is a handful, and occupies defenders, creating space for our other attacking players whilst carry a scoring threat in his own right.

It might be the case that he is particularly effective as a second half sub when opposition defenders are tiring. This was the case against Dundee (albeit they were also down to 10). He is also decent in the air - something that is handy when defending set pieces.

He took his goals well enough at Dens, and with more game time and a full pre-season with a FT club, there are grounds for optimism.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Still unconvinced about Cooke, despite the hat-trick against Dundee. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. I don't think there'd have been too many complaints if he'd been out of contract and released in the summer.

He does, however, seem prepared to work for his chance unlike Heaton so hopefully he can come could, however I'd be worried if he was part of our first choice strikeforce going into the season.

It's going back a bit, but we've binned off (or written off) strikers in the past who have gone on to better things - nobody shed a tear when Magennis and Iwelumo left us (I know Josh Magennis was on loan, but the point stands.) 

He adapted to a lot last season, had a lot of niggling injuries, and emerged with a lot of credit. I'm very glad he still has another year to go and I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

For the record, I was also quite excited about Callum Ball, so feel free to bookmark this.

Cooke won’t be our starting striker next season.

He is a useful squad player to have though and can see him contributing with a few goals off the bench. After all his hat trick against Dundee came from the bench!

I expect us to have four strikers by the end of the window. We already have Mullen and Cooke so we need two more.

Happy with Cooke in the squad. Christ, we have a thin enough squad as it is, why would we want rid of someone who, while clearly not Alan Shearer or Mo Salah, is certainly worthy of a shirt and of fighting for his place. He tries, he has come on a bit, there’s a player in there, etc, etc.... fades to distance as voices in his head say ‘who could we get in, at the same wage level, who would fight for a spot and be better than what we already have...’