The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

This Heaton thing must have way more to it than him just being shite. Being plain old shite doesn't get you this treatment at St Mirren, even if you are expensive shite. Also, if the club were desperate to punt him, then surely they would be playing him in friendlies and stuff, in the hope someone would see him. There is obviously a real problem with this guy, even Stubbs never played him. We seem to want absolutely nothing to do with him.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

This Heaton thing must have way more to it than him just being shite. Being plain old shite doesn't get you this treatment at St Mirren, even if you are expensive shite. Also, if the club were desperate to punt him, then surely they would be playing him in friendlies and stuff, in the hope someone would see him. There is obviously a real problem with this guy, even Stubbs never played him. We seem to want absolutely nothing to do with him.

Yeah. Today is the management team's first day on the job and we currently have 15 players on our books. You'd imagine he'd want to be running the rule over everyone who is in our first team roster. 

This is clearly a decision taken by SMFC as a club rather than a manager going 'nah, you're not in my plans'. and as you say, it's clearly based on something more than just a lack of ability. 

Yeah. Today is the management team's first day on the job and we currently have 15 players on our books. You'd imagine he'd want to be running the rule over everyone who is in our first team roster. 
This is clearly a decision taken by SMFC as a club rather than a manager going 'nah, you're not in my plans'. and as you say, it's clearly based on something more than just a lack of ability. 
Because he is a dick as well as useless at football?

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

IMG_7238.jpg.855484f132e90bd7bd1336ebd364352b.thumb.jpg.855a85721c8620e4123a05441e64bf92.jpg

Think at this point you'd be reflecting on why you aren't there when trialists are deemed more worthy of a spot on the plane than you are. 

No our Josh though. He's been hard done by. 

What an absolute fanny that boy is.

Just now, McG said:

What an absolute fanny that boy is.

I've always been the first to say he should get another crack of the whip; new manager, new start, etc - especially because the only way we're getting value from our fee is if we help him turn into a player.

But that's now four managers who haven't fancied him, including the one who bought him and, apparently, the one who took him on loan at Kidderminster. TTG, I reckon.

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've always been the first to say he should get another crack of the whip; new manager, new start, etc - especially because the only way we're getting value from our fee is if we help him turn into a player.

But that's now four managers who haven't fancied him, including the one who bought him and, apparently, the one who took him on loan at Kidderminster. TTG, I reckon.

I do wonder whether all the talk that we beat off stiff competition from teams like Everton and Middlesbrough was an invention. When you look at his history, he's only 22 but has been at a whole host of clubs, all at non-league level. In fact he's not played a competitive game higher than the sixth tier of English football. Even his old boss at Darlington said he was a work in progress and wouldn't be a regular starter for them. To get a move for 75k, he must have a really good agent.

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I do wonder whether all the talk that we beat off stiff competition from teams like Everton and Middlesbrough was an invention. When you look at his history, he's only 22 but has been at a whole host of clubs, all at non-league level. In fact he's not played a competitive game higher than the sixth tier of English football. Even his old boss at Darlington said he was a work in progress and wouldn't be a regular starter for them. To get a move for 75k, he must have a really good agent.

All true.

As for the bit in bold, I guess we'll never know. We've all heard the rumours, there's no point repeating them, but something doesn't quite add up here.

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

There is a distinct whiff or brown envelopes being passed under desks to this one.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

All true.

As for the bit in bold, I guess we'll never know. We've all heard the rumours, there's no point repeating them, but something doesn't quite add up here.

I think a few people were pretty good at adding up. They managed to make what should have been 0 add up to 75k.

Edited by pozbaird

14 hours ago, Stu said:

Heaton would have been emptied long ago had we not paid £75k* for him, the club must be desperately hoping we can somehow recoup some of that but I just can't see it. And there's more chance of Man Utd signing John McGinn for £50 million than there is of Heaton ever featuring for the first team again.

*Fully expecting folk to say it's not that bad, £75k is only the amount we pay once clauses etc are added in. However, isn't it funny those stories only started to appear when it became apparent Heaton wasn't very good? The club were more than happy to announce it as the highest fee for a quarter of a century when he signed.

From what I believe, we never paid the full £75k and it was all instalments based upon milestones. Wouldn't be surprised if we only paid a third of this so far. To soften the blow, we did recoup some of that money back from the sale of Ross Stewart to Ross County.

10 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

To soften the blow, we did recoup some of that money back from the sale of Ross Stewart to Ross County.

Surely the recoup of the 75K only occurs if we somehow manage to get anything for the sale/development of the player himself? Yes, it all affects the revenue and bottom line, but any fee received for another player can't be argued as offsetting the unjustifiable cost of another any more than the increased sale of hot dogs or caramel wafers from the snack kiosks, and I suspect we got a bit more from John McGinn's move to Villa than we got from Ross County.

26 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

From what I believe, we never paid the full £75k and it was all instalments based upon milestones. Wouldn't be surprised if we only paid a third of this so far. To soften the blow, we did recoup some of that money back from the sale of Ross Stewart to Ross County.

Correct.

Nowhere near that.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Why not cut our losses and terminate his contract? Makes you wonder if he is on a good deal so he is happy to sit and let it run out. 

25 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Maybe. But what fanny made him one of the highest paid players and gave him a 3 year deal. 3 years is the best deal we have given anyone in years.

Heaton has probably been told he’s got no future at the club, hence the needy and pathetic social media postings. 

The club didn’t somehow forget to book him a place for the Spanish training camp, they left him behind for a reason. 

Problem we have is moving him out to help pay off his wage. At best he’s a non league jobber.

Edited by glenburn bud

18 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Why not cut our losses and terminate his contract? Makes you wonder if he is on a good deal so he is happy to sit and let it run out. 

I think he is on a good deal. Some believe he is a top earner, though I am not sure if I believe that or not. His contract was most likely more complicated as we were looking into him being a sellable asset. All assumptions.

30 minutes ago, DXBBud said:

Surely the recoup of the 75K only occurs if we somehow manage to get anything for the sale/development of the player himself? Yes, it all affects the revenue and bottom line, but any fee received for another player can't be argued as offsetting the unjustifiable cost of another any more than the increased sale of hot dogs or caramel wafers from the snack kiosks, and I suspect we got a bit more from John McGinn's move to Villa than we got from Ross County.

A player off the wage bill (Stewart) plus transfer fee. Same could be said about fee we received for Cammy Smith. Off the wage bill and transfer fee. Overall I suppose when you look at the bigger picture, we did have to offload guys like King, Kpekawa etc early from their contracts, which would have cost us.