The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Fifty million quid for John McGinn is fucking mental.
Sums up the English market tbh.

Harry Maguire valued at 80,000,000!

Could be a bullshit rumour though. Newspapers will be struggling for stories.

Imagine what it would do to our youth academies reputation though, would put it on the map.

Just think how different things would have been if Hibs had actually stumped up the development fee when they got him from us rather than trying to do things on the cheap. 

This could end up being the financially costliest version of Hibsing it ever. 

1 minute ago, DumbartonBud said:

Just think how different things would have been if Hibs had actually stumped up the development fee when they got him from us rather than trying to do things on the cheap. 

This could end up being the financially costliest version of Hibsing it ever. 

Though I get what you're saying, they will still make a massive, massive killing on him. 

The man is a clown .you set your targets within your dressing room to give out those comments the day after JG arrives is crazy . but as I said on a previous message JG is no fool
A bit harsh to call him a clown bud. He will always be a St Mirren legend but I'd say the majority of fans take his comments with a very large amount of salt.

2 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

I agree a legend yes what a role to get at the club am sure over the years we all have said things we regret but you learn from your mistakes he seems not to . JG won't put up with this going forward . take it TF has a great working bond with GS

Re your final point, there have been rumours that that's not the case. But there've been all sorts of rumours recently so they could all be bollocks. 

Guest Moomintroll
The man is a clown .you set your targets within your dressing room to give out those comments the day after JG arrives is crazy . but as I said on a previous message JG is no fool
From my understanding of what I have always read on here, St Mirren fans mostly treat him like a mad but lovable uncle. I would imagine if Ray Montgomerie started to demand Champions League qualification for us I would feel the same way.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
15 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

From my understanding of what I have always read on here, St Mirren fans mostly treat him like a mad but lovable uncle. I would imagine if Ray Montgomerie started to demand Champions League qualification for us I would feel the same way.

Perfect description.

We love Tony, mainly because of his love for the club being at such a level he's like the most optimistic fan on the supporters bus - coming back from a 5-0 defeat to a lower league team in the cup, and still beaming at the great throw in we took late on in the second half.

12 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
16 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

Aye, a wee ruffle of his hair and we all sit motioning our heads at him and going 'fucks sake, what's he like' whilst having a laugh. 

Although I don't necessarily subscribe to his public reiteration of this and feel the media are fully taking the piss out of him because he's good for a mental quote, I do have to admire his unrelenting optimism in a way.

He is truly the anti-elvis. 

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Hang on. What are you mentalists on about? 

Do any of you have an actual basis for believing that you'll get money if McGinn moves again? 

Other than your mate said. 

We are definitely due the development fee for him- fact.

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Do any of you have an actual basis for believing that you'll get money if McGinn moves again? 

I think we get 33% of any fee Hibs got directly. Any money Hibs get from a resulting clause in their agreement with Villa we wouldn't be partial to. There are some residual development fees involved in any future transfer which we will receive regardless of whether he goes for £50,000 or £50m. 

Is a clause stating that they get a % of any future Hibs profits that hard to believe? Its a fairly realistic and speculative clause to insert, since it relied on Hibs selling him, with similar clauses and then his next club selling him too.

Not too sure why people find this far fetched. Its still only a clause between St Mirren and Hibs

Guest Moomintroll
I think we get 33% of any fee Hibs got directly. Any money Hibs get from a resulting clause in their agreement with Villa we wouldn't be partial to. There are some residual development fees involved in any future transfer which we will receive regardless of whether he goes for £50,000 or £50m. 
I am sure that there are solidarity fees relating to player development that decline in percentage terms of any subsequent transfer.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I don't see what is mental about us having a clause that pays us a percentage of any money Hibs subsequently make on the player. Hibs could have avoided it, but they took the short term view of saving a bit of money at the time.

We'd also get part of the development fee as well, irrespective of any agreement with Hibs.