The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

26 minutes ago, printer said:

Good luck, Jim. Thanks for the last three years.

I'm genuinely a bit gutted for you guys, but I feel it's been in the stars that he'd be coming back to us at some point, ever since he joined in the first place. Very pleased he got you up & kept you up. Hope you find a decent replacement who repeats that this season. Best of luck.

I'm genuinely a bit gutted for you guys, but I feel it's been in the stars that he'd be coming back to us at some point, ever since he joined in the first place. Very pleased he got you up & kept you up. Hope you find a decent replacement who repeats that this season. Best of luck.
Thanks. No need to feel gutted for us. Losing managers to full time teams is inevitable for Alloa and a sign that we are doing well.

Obviously if we get a useless nutter in......

You really do get a lot of guff in managerial appointment press releases.

"the opportunity to come back to the place where I had my most memorable spell as a player was too good to turn down" - says the man who has once, if not twice, in the last 12 months turned down the opportunity to speak to our chairman about the manager's job 😂

Anyway, welcome back Jim - now please don't ask Tommy Craig for advice.

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I think TF is being serious when he says that stuff, but i don't think any StMirren fan takes it as gospel, Jack Ross laughed it off before.

It seems to rile opposition fans for whatever reason though.

Only because T.F. hit the.r top six league positions as a player with St Mirren he wrote the book and has that tea-shirt.

16 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Confirmed.

Feel sorry for Alloa again, your chairman can spot a manager though.

This just feels right. Happy as Larry.

I'm pleased Jim is back but what happened to Oran has taken a bit of the magic feeling out of it for me.

Gordon Scott will be in the spot light like never before he is walking on broken glass. His toy until the fans buy him out.

21 minutes ago, printer said:

Thanks. No need to feel gutted for us. Losing managers to full time teams is inevitable for Alloa and a sign that we are doing well.

Obviously if we get a useless nutter in......

The announcement from Alloa on twitter was a very classy one.

I hope you guys get another good young and ambitious manager to succeed Jim Goodwin.

5 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I'm pleased Jim is back but what happened to Oran has taken a bit of the magic feeling out of it for me.

Gordon Scott will be in the spot light like never before he is walking on broken glass. His toy until the fans buy him out.

Gordon Scott is running a business. He needs to get the best out of his employees. He obviously wanted more commitment from OK. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Employees all over the world fall out with their bosses and move on.

We need to stop acting like needy drama queens.

28 minutes ago, printer said:

That's cool. I didn't mean to sound patronising, if I did. That statement from Mulraney was also classy as hell. Good guys, Alloa.

Always a temptation to see JG as another Jack Ross but that isn't the case. A huge chunk of his success at Alloa was built on inheriting a terrific set of part-time players and top pros from Ross. Those players stuck with him during a very mixed first year when he made some baffling decisions and struggled with recruitment. Going back to what worked under Ross and adding the best loans possible then made Goody at Alloa. Questions remain over his recruitment (permanent rather than loans) and still has the odd brain fart (shrinking our park while sticking with the expansive passing style, resulting in us having a home pitch which didn't suit us at all), but he has learned and grown in stature. 

His great strengths are his leadership and the respect players have for him. He got the best out of people and they developed under him. He is an eloquent guy and can get his message across. A calm head too, despite his playing persona. Whatever the other weaknesses (and I do wonder about him inheriting a bit of a mess in comparison to what he had at Alloa), those strengths give him a good chance at succeeding. I doubted him for a good while at Alloa but he ended up doing really well for us and gave us some great times. Also appreciate him staying for a decent spell and not jumping ship to full time at the first opportunity. That's another sign of a clever head. Hope he continues to develop and makes a real success of this. 

That's cool. I didn't mean to sound patronising, if I did. That statement from Mulraney was also classy as hell. Good guys, Alloa.
No, didn't sound patronising at all.

Yeah, we are very lucky just now the way the club is being run. Always been a pretty well run club IMO.

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Gordon Scott is running a business. He needs to get the best out of his employees. He obviously wanted more commitment from OK. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Employees all over the world fall out with their bosses and move on.

We need to stop acting like needy drama queens.

Just feel a bit sad mate once the season kicks off all will be forgotten.

Utter pish from you. Again.

Every single decision GLS makes is for the good of our club. Absolutely no doubt that OK is a really decent, nice guy. And I completely respect his decision to put his family first. However I never really rated him as a manager. A few decent signings kept us in this league - not OK.

Describing the football club as a “toy” for Scott is just fuckin ridiculous.

Anyway, delighted that Jim is back. Let’s get a few signings in and give it a right go.

COYS

5 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Always a temptation to see JG as another Jack Ross but that isn't the case. A huge chunk of his success at Alloa was built on inheriting a terrific set of part-time players and top pros from Ross. Those players stuck with him during a very mixed first year when he made some baffling decisions and struggled with recruitment. Going back to what worked under Ross and adding the best loans possible then made Goody at Alloa. Questions remain over his recruitment (permanent rather than loans) and still has the odd brain fart (shrinking our park while sticking with the expansive passing style, resulting in us having a home pitch which didn't suit us at all), but he has learned and grown in stature. 

His great strengths are his leadership and the respect players have for him. He got the best out of people and they developed under him. He is an eloquent guy and can get his message across. A calm head too, despite his playing persona. Whatever the other weaknesses (and I do wonder about him inheriting a bit of a mess in comparison to what he had at Alloa), those strengths give him a good chance at succeeding. I doubted him for a good while at Alloa but he ended up doing really well for us and gave us some great times. Also appreciate him staying for a decent spell and not jumping ship to full time at the first opportunity. That's another sign of a clever head. Hope he continues to develop and makes a real success of this. 

Even as a player Jim used his head he was offered a deal at Hibs with more money but he knocked it back to stay with Saints. No idea why but it said a lot about Jim for me.

3 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Utter pish from you. Again.

Every single decision GLS makes is for the good of our club. Absolutely no doubt that OK is a really decent, nice guy. And I completely respect his decision to put his family first. However I never really rated him as a manager. A few decent signings kept us in this league - not OK.

Describing the football club as a “toy” for Scott is just fuckin ridiculous.

Anyway, delighted that Jim is back. Let’s get a few signings in and give it a right go.

COYS

You have your opinion I have mine Oran is in the history books. Lets see when the clubs accounts are published who is talking pish.