The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

GLS must have known Kearney wasn’t going to move over permanently when he was first interviewed for our gig, but lost out to Stubbs. GLS certainly must have known about it again, when he came back to Kearney to say ‘sorry about that Stubbs thing, fancy digging us out of a hole?’. For his part, Kearney must have made it clear, certainly the second time they spoke post-Stubbs, that yes, he’ll try to dig us out of a Stubbs-shaped hole, but he’s not uprooting his family and as discussed at his first interview, will commute. Both parties then agreed on the commute thing.

St Mirren and Kearney clearly came to an agreement on all sorts of stuff before he eventually got the job - wages, an assistant, commuting.... so what’s changed?

Has GLS came to Kearney at some point following our penalty shootout win against the Arabs to say something like ‘now you’ve kept us up, we need you to move over’, and Kearney has said ‘nope, we already discussed this many times’.... or, did Kearney indicate if we stayed up, he would move over, and has now changed his mind?

All very strange, and so St Mirren. Wouldn’t be a close season without our manager buggering off.

Edited by pozbaird

22 minutes ago, Munoz said:

From an outsider looking in...... 

Scott must have know OK's family was going to remain in NI, so he would be travelling back n forth, at the interview stage before appointing him?

Or has OK reneged on an agreement to move over here while at St Mirren? 

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Scott must have know OK's family was going to remain in NI, so he would be travelling back n forth, at the interview stage before appointing him?

2nd option.

Unsure exactly what's going on with your club, but I hope it's nothing more than rumours. Administration is no fun (believe me), and Scottish football needs teams like St Mirren. Plus that playoff final was funny as f**k. Keep yer heids up.

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Unsure exactly what's going on with your club, but I hope it's nothing more than rumours. Administration is no fun (believe me), and Scottish football needs teams like St Mirren. Plus that playoff final was funny as f**k. Keep yer heids up.

Administration? Where are you getting this from ? We are in a decent position financially. 

15 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Plenty of managers and players commute to their clubs,  so I fail to see why this an issue. If you ask me, this is being used as a smokescreen so that our chairman can get someone else in. 

Supposedly he's away tomorrow. 

20 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Ach, the financial peril thing has already been fully discredited and the guy who originally posted it now admits the guy who told him was clearly at it. 

We're a basket case on so many levels. Thankfully, finance is one of the only levels we have our shit together. 

We're great entertainment, though! 

If it genuinely is the travelling to Northern Ireland that's the issue then it's ridiculous it's not been sorted before now.

If it was such a big issue for Scott he should have given Kearney a week's holiday to decide what he was going to do then take whatever action was necessary, rather than get to this ridiculous situation.

13 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Plenty of managers and players commute to their clubs,  so I fail to see why this an issue. If you ask me, this is being used as a smokescreen so that our chairman can get someone else in. 

Supposedly he's away tomorrow. 

That's why I genuinely don't believe it's as simple as 'I don't like you commuting so far, change it or you're gone' 

It doesn't make sense and he wouldn't have said on STV that long term its something he'd like to see. He'd have said it was something we are actively discussing with him. 

There's certainly more to it than just that. 

Just now, GAD said:

Was the Coleraine friendly part of the compensation for Kearney? If it was, and is now cancelled, that could tell us a lot....

Yes it was. We said as much when announcing the friendly a few weeks back. 

Nothing official on the friendly cancellation. Yet. 

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yes it was. We said as much when announcing the friendly a few weeks back. 

Nothing official on the friendly cancellation. Yet. 

We may technically still owe them the friendly, then, whether he stays or not.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We may technically still owe them the friendly, then, whether he stays or not.

We may but it's quite clear that there is potentially going to be some ill will between both clubs in coming days. 

Might be agreed by all parties to just nix it.