The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Also that would make even less sense then to go for Goodwin who is under contrwct. We'd have to pay Alloa money and Alloa would have something to say publicly about accepting an approach if it was already a done deal. 

So since they haven't, we'd also be tapping another clubs manager up if we'd gotten him to agree to join us without Alloa knowing or consenting. 

As I said, I'm not buying a single word of it. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

That's what I heard also. Also heard we are Iin financial melt down so why would Goodwin accept  ,?. Scott is I n trouble this will back fire we are financially  fucked from what I'm hearing . 

I just dont believe this financial meltdown rubbish. The club has brought in more money than ever before and the play offs will have made us money. Too many people making things up imo

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Why are we in financial meltdown though? We spent a lot of money last season with payoffs etc but we took a lot more in than usual from prize money, telly money, Transfer fees and gate receipts. 

I don't believe for even a single second that we have gone from break even to the financial shitter in a year where all income increased significantly to offset increases in outgoings. And without warning, this financial meltdown rhetoric has simply come from nowhere. 

Its simply not logical. And not true. 

We may well have trimmed the budget again but I'd imagine that's into relation of how the budget ended up rather than how it started, given we were presumably well over budget last season all said and done. That does not equate to the club being financially fucked. 

Yeah, if the club is in financial meltdown it doesn't seem likely we'd be in a position to pay off Kearney then pay even more compensation for Goodwin, bring in Houston (who won't be any cheaper than Nicoll) and sign a couple of players next week, which Wardrop confirmed on Twitter (Though I'm guessing it's Gary Mac and Muzak).

I can imagine though that we have to trim our budget from last season a bit. Guys like Hammil, Jackson, Nazon and Ferdinand wouldn't have been cheap and probably didn't really represent great value for money for a club like us, though we didn't have much choice at the time. We probably want to cut that back a bit and get back on an even keel with signings that present better value and more chance of resale, like Hladkey.

9 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, if the club is in financial meltdown it doesn't seem likely we'd be in a position to pay off Kearney then pay even more compensation for Goodwin, bring in Houston (who won't be any cheaper than Nicoll) and sign a couple of players next week, which Wardrop confirmed on Twitter (Though I'm guessing it's Gary Mac and Muzak).

I can imagine though that we have to trim our budget from last season a bit. Guys like Hammil, Jackson, Nazon and Ferdinand wouldn't have been cheap and probably didn't really represent great value for money for a club like us, though we didn't have much choice at the time. We probably want to cut that back a bit and get back on an even keel with signings that present better value and more chance of resale, like Hladkey.

Yeah. 'Budget slashed' could be interpreted several ways.

For me the most likely - if true - is. (Figures purely as an example) :

Budget Last season at start - 500k

By end of season - 700k (due to payoffs of existing contracts and January signings) 

This season - 600k

Which could be interpreted in both categories. 

Also that would make even less sense then to go for Goodwin who is under contrwct. We'd have to pay Alloa money and Alloa would have something to say publicly about accepting an approach if it was already a done deal. 
So since they haven't, we'd also be tapping another clubs manager up if we'd gotten him to agree to join us without Alloa knowing or consenting. 
As I said, I'm not buying a single word of it. 
Two things Scott and Mulraney have a good working relationship 100% so he wouldn't just go behind his back and approach JG . one other thing why Would JG pick Houston as not 2 never worked with him before Lee Sharp is Jim no 2 and going forward IMO will be for a long time .

The amount of rumours is something else. Someone is probably right, but god knows who. 

I can understand this from both points of view if it is causing issues, but it is unfortunate. 

Be interesting to see if Gus now helps to keep some continuity compared to last season. 

17 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

The amount of rumours is something else. Someone is probably right, but god knows who. 

I can understand this from both points of view if it is causing issues, but it is unfortunate. 

Be interesting to see if Gus now helps to keep some continuity compared to last season. 

MacPherson should make a difference, but if I was a player that had more than one option would o he signing for the team who didn't have a manager in place?

If there’s an issue with Kearney travelling to and from Northern Ireland, then I guess Gordon Scott’s least favourite album is Radiohead’s OK Commuter.

...Six months ban from forum. Reduced to three on good behaviour.

The minute Gus came back alarm bells were ringing. Its no secret that he and GS were buddies. It now appears that the whole commuting excuse could be a way to force out the manager. Then step in Gus. Of course i just put 2 and 2 together and made 5 but its another theory to the mix.

Also from B&W Army... ‘I have been told..... I heard from someone.... A guy told me.... I was informed by someone, usually reliable.... I’m hearing that GLS... My understanding is that Oran.... I believe that Jim Goodwin....

...ad infinitum. Away and shite.

Stewart Gilmour on twitter suggesting that there’s more to this than just the commuting and location issue.  

I wish GLS would put out a statement and clear this up pronto. 

If OK is going then get it done quickly and get the new man in place so that we can start preparations and recruitment for the new season.

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Stewart Gilmour on twitter suggesting that there’s more to this than just the commuting and location issue.  

I wish GLS would put out a statement and clear this up pronto. 

If OK is going then get it done quickly and get the new man in place so that we can start preparations and recruitment for the new season.

I wish people would desist from "suggesting" based on the square root of fuck all.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Taken from BAWA. 

Well, if we are skint, we can assume the big man wasn't on the Glasgow flight despite being in the airport at same time as it. 🤔

IMG_7209.thumb.jpg.64d492c16dd6b71cd78c7223ae6faaef.jpg.61989f9cf1574d87778d6b35ed2b4ed8.jpg

IMG_7210.thumb.jpg.1bfec21afe5eb93efde06142163907c5.jpg.e52b80849c756cb38ac88810c2a4a493.jpg

jesus. what a stalking maniac. 

Edited by StennyLad